Get Ready, Its coming Back!!!! Nov 2nd

jacksonbart

My mother-in-law was born and raised in Germany. I think she came to the states in the early 50's. Every time she comes for a visit she makes Rouladen. It absolutely melts in your mouth. Rouladen, potatos, gravy and red cabbage. Normally accompanied by a German beer bought just for the occasion. She'll be down for Christmas, can't wait.

+1

Only original filled with pickle, onions, dab o mustard and fatback. See if you can get her to make Knödel (spoke knoedel ) the potatoe dumplings. That is the real deal!!! We love Rotkohl (red cabbage) in our house. Made with white wine and apples. If you can find one try a Kellerbier this is an unfiltered lager, usually very hops strong. Goes great with heavy meals!!!

Probably a regional thing, the Father in law always used Fatback. Pickle is prety normal though I think.(Just asked my colleuges and they know them without, go figure. We are in Hannover)

I just did some research and they are called "Nach Hausfrauen Art" sorta like "how the homemaker makes them". There are a lot of different recepts though. Try one with pickle, kosher dill works best. You could like it. What I do not like though is when they put in ground beef, not my cup o tea.

My mother-in-law was born and raised in Germany. I think she came to the states in the early 50's. Every time she comes for a visit she makes Rouladen. It absolutely melts in your mouth. Rouladen, potatos, gravy and red cabbage. Normally accompanied by a German beer bought just for the occasion. She'll be down for Christmas, can't wait.

cool,enjoy Rouladen in Texas......here in Lith. I just don't get the right beef ....since I don't speak the language its hard to explain to the butcher

they don't know Rouladen around here.....I just have to print this pic and take to the butcher [:P]

post-53055-13819667324248_thumb.jpg

Again different variations, there are pork, venison, beef and veal. Beef is normally top round or silverside you can also splurge and get round steak or rump steak.

Any beef where you get a big ol piece works well since they are braised and then cooked slowly simmering in their succulent juices. nom nom nom

I had four McRib sandwitches yesterday, and boy are they deeeelicious! I cannot believe how good they taste. I want the McRib sandwitches again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again...I will trade my Klipsch speakers if I have to!

• 7 years later...
7 minutes ago, Max2 said:

Bro in-law loves the McRib. I can honestly say I would rather lose my trigger finger to a rusty sod buster than to be holed up in a vehicle having to smell one while it was eaten.   

Aw come on ... mechanically separated meat formed into patties and smothered in high fructose corn syrup -- what’s not to love?  Truth be told, i just get one for those tiny pieces of onion.  I’m a sucker for diced onion. 

11 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

Aw come on ... mechanically separated meat formed into patties and smothered in high fructose corn syrup -- what’s not to love?  Truth be told, i just get one for those tiny pieces of onion.  I’m a sucker for diced onion. 

Just thinking about that Pork bits patty formed into a short rack of ribs makes me shiver.  Oh and I will share that can of Sardines in mustard sauce with you, but even I have my limitations.

• Haha 2