Get Ready, Its coming Back!!!! Nov 2nd

jacksonbart

In 1972, Roger Mandingo, a University of Nebraska professor, received a grant from the National Pork Producer's council to develop a technology that bound small "umarketable parts of the animal" into a formation that looked more appetizing.

I would have figured his expertise would lay elsewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.freakonomics.com/2011/12/01/the-marginal-cost-of-the-mcrib/

McDonald’s has reintroduced its McRib
sandwich. Consisting of meat that at one point belonged to a pig, it is
now on yet another farewell tour, its sixth since 2004. (Actually, the
first three were called “Farewell Tour,” the last three have been
called “Reintroduction.”) The website the Awl.com points out that the reintroductions of this unusual product have all coincided with downturns in the price of pork.

Seems reasonable to me: Mickey D’s assumes there is some best price for the McRib and compares it to the marginal cost,
exactly as in our introductory textbooks. When the marginal cost drops
sufficiently (and presumably the price of pork is the most variable item
in costs), back comes the McRib. (HT to CVB)

so how much more would a steak from the winner of the kentucky derby cost than say a steak from the pony at the circus?

i'd eat horse meat...when i go visit my brother, we always have some sort of exotic meat. on superbowl sunday, it was kangaroo. a couple of weeks ago, he ordered some Yak; but, it wasn't delivered, so we went to this store and bought some Antelope.

Good thing we don't have a cultural predilection for dogs, cats, etc. The McRuff would probably be a howler!

We may soon enough.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2011/12/02/US-horse-slaughter-for-meat-may-resume/UPI-62611322855884/

We still get horse here. One of the better sellers is the "Rossbratwurst" (Horse brat), that we get at the festivals. Rouladen from shank is also very good. Somehwhat an aquired taste though.

Rouladen from shank is also very good. Somehwhat an aquired taste though.

How much do you have to pony up for that?

About 14 bucks a Kilo if you are interested here is a website where that is their specialty.

http://www.rossfleischversand.de/shop/index.php?cPath=18&osCsid=50ce174cf1cd33823c0ad59f9cd508f3

I don´t think they send to the states though.[;)]

My mother-in-law was born and raised in Germany. I think she came to the states in the early 50's. Every time she comes for a visit she makes Rouladen. It absolutely melts in your mouth. Rouladen, potatos, gravy and red cabbage. Normally accompanied by a German beer bought just for the occasion. She'll be down for Christmas, can't wait.