emotiva xpa 3 or 5 for 7.1 surround sound

vigiano

I am upgrading my system with a Denon 3311 125 w receiver and want to get an emotiva xpa amp. Is it necessary to have 200 watts for the rear and surround speakers and is just powering the front with the 200 watts going to be enough. I plan on adding reference floor speakers in the rear someday? my speakers are RF82, RC62, RS52 and RW 12D.

Is it necessary to have 200 watts for the rear and surround speakers and is just powering the front with the 200 watts going to be enough.

It's not necessary at all. Here's my 25wpc 5.1 home theater. The Aragon 2007 (200wpc) amp is sitting idle at the moment. LOL.

Frank

post-26363-13819618485926_thumb.jpg

post-26363-1381962209456_thumb.jpg

is it necessary? no. The biggest power hogs are the L R C. Keep in mind though, some people use floorstanders as rears so having the extra power is worth it. Most people flat out dont have the room for that so its some sort of on wall type option that they choose. I got the xpa-5 because i wanted only a 5 channel system. Most movies are not recorded for 7.1 so i didnt really see a need for extra speakers. In your case, i think that getting an XPA-5 for the cost is worth it over the XPA-3 especially if you plan to possibly have floorstanders as rears in the future. The rf-82's perform extremely well as well as the rc-64 as you mentioned you have. Those want juice, they have good power capabilities and the last thing you want to do is starve the beast. Having overhead is something very often overlooked. I just read an article in sound and vision last night, their latest issue. The article was about wattages, sensitivty and output you hear. Good news is that klipsch speakers are very sensitive and don't require much power to drive. Having overhead is great because shots of gun fire and bombs blowing up draw way more power than just regular vocals, this is where your overhead comes in. It will help keep your sound crisp at higher volumes and prevent clipping. Now with that said, if you wanted to use tube amps, well, you have choices but the power for overheard just isnt really there. The rs-52's can suck juice two, having the overhead, again, won't hurt. Emotiva makes a rock solid amp, i'd say its something you should expect to have for many many moons.

Not to mention, emotiva is having a sale and the xpa-5 is 709 right now, good price, its typically 800.