Klipsch Epic CF3

gagelle

Hello All,

I have a pair of Epic CF3 speakers that I bought new in 1994. I read on this forum that there were three versions made. I wrote to Klipsch to find out the crossover so I can set them up with a new Harman Kardon receiver. Klipsch was nice enough to write back with the following information:

"You may have the Rev.2
Yours were built the 246th day of 1994.
If your ports tubes are 5” long, they are Rev.1’s.
2 ½” would have been Rev.2
There was never really an owner’s manual for the Epic series. A product brochure was attached to this email.
The CF-3 was rated down to 35 Hz, you could set them to large in the receiver setup
The CF-3’s crossover point was 1,500 Hz. Internal crossover point."

The question I have is whether I should change the port tubes if they are Rev. 2? And if so, where would I obtain the 5 in. port tubes? I understand they are very easy to get out.

Thanks in advance for any help.

PS. Good news! The port tubes are 5 in. long.

I am not 100% sure; but from what I have read, the Rev 1 has different (beefier) drivers.

I would not reccomend changing anything; as the 5" ports were matched for the Rev 1 drivers.

(Those are reputed to be the most desirable).

Your drivers; ports; and crossovers were matched from the factory. I doubt changing the ports would help, and possibly could put extra strain on your drivers. (I could be wrong).

If anything; you may wish to replace your capacitors on your crossovers. I would do that before anything else.

You could contact Klipsch tech support and ask them for their input. They are an excellent resource.

My .02

Good Luck.

Thanks for the advice. I read somewhere on this blog that the only change in rev 2 was the switch from 5 in. to 3 in. ports, but I could be wrong. Needless to say, I'm very happy that I have Rev 1. In my opinion, these speakers sound incredible. They just love power. I'm into classical, but put on a remastered copy of Led Zeppelin 2, and these things just pump out clean sound. I'm still in the process of putting everything together with rear speakers.

Your system is quite impressive.

From what I have read,The CF3s and CF4s are some of the best 2 way Klipsch has made.

I had a set of KG 5.2s.... and yeah they could CRANK LOUD CLEAN SOUND.....

My Heresies are great, but could not keep up in the bass department. Your CFs are (IMHO) at least that good.... Probably markedly better.

(I kept the Heresies because of the "Heritage" sound.... )

I love the way my system sounds. I think this is a Klipsch owner thing; as you obviously have similar feelings. [H]

Welcome to The Forum![:D]