DVD/BluRay 2 disc sets can be sort of interesting....

t-man

Well I just had to try the comparison with my latest How to Train Your Dragon movie purchase. Watched the BluRay version and though the picture and sound was great! Got me thinking about how different it might be from the DVD. The next day or so later, I pop the DVD in the Denon DVD player and WOW, that looked pretty darn good and sounds good, too. I then put the BluRay in the Sony player and played the same scene back to back examining picture quality. Both are very good, but you really have to A/B it back to back to notice any picture quality difference from a normal seating position. As you get closer (like uncomfortably close), the difference becomes apparent. As for sound, I loaded up both discs at the same time in both players, and tried to get them both synched to the scene where the big bad mamma dragon breaks out of the nest. Well, I can tell you that there was a big difference in the sound quality between the DVD and BluRay when comparing it A/B like this. The BluRay had a lot more detail as opposed to muddled one-noteness in the bassy scenes. It wasn't louder, it was just better. As for my sub, you will love having a sub more with BluRay audio. There was so much low end bass present in the BlueRay that simply wasn't there on the DVD. Anway, just wanted to share my little "experiment". And yes, my big 'ol 63 Plasma is of course 1080P, and running the BluRay with HDMI. The DVD player also with HDMI upconverted to 1080P through the player.

Over on the AVS Forum there's lots of threads showing DVD/Blu-Ray A/B screen shots. I don't have a problem seeing a huge difference between the two. My wife hardly notices any difference at all. I also notice the difference in audio, with Blu-Ray being noticeably better.

The HBO miniseries The Pacific is out on DVD/Blue ray so I went over to rent the blue ray version and it was not available. So I compromised and got the regular dvd and the picture was very good thru the PS3. Now I want to get the blue ray version.

I think another thing that makes a difference is the quality of your HDTV. Mine is about 3 year old Tech, a Sony that has a very good HD picture but the ones out this year are better. So is your HDTV 2-3 years old or is it a 2010 model? The tech in my tv is over three years old but a 2010 HDTV tech is probably only about 1 year old so it should show the difference between blue ray dvd and regular dvd.

All I know is that I am never goingback to DVD...[:P]

HOWEVER, there are many movies that I can not yet get on BD... Repoman, Rope, Rear Window, Jackie Brown, Paths of Glory, Taxi Driver are only a handful that i still have to watch on DVD... sad

I also think it depends on the quality of the DVD player. Some players do a better job at upconverting than other ones....but even with the best ones I could tell the difference. The DVDs look a lot softer and lack detail that Blu Rays have. And as already noted the sound is way better as well. Now it is a little harder to tell the difference on my smaller 30" tv but once as you step up in size it becomes easier to see the lack of quality and loss of detail. I agree I will never go back to DVD. I only buy and rent Blu Rays now. Its a disappointment when Netflix only has a movie on DVD but their Blu Ray collection is expanding rapidly. I'm proud to be a Blu Ray convert.