ACR Klipschorn clone, help on crossover needed!!

Hi there,

Yesterday I picked up the first one (because on one fits into my Volvo 850 estate) of a set of Klipschorn clones, which I bought for approx US$ 500.

The DIY kit was originally sold by a Swiss company called ACR sometime in the late eightieth. I was called Eckhorn Standard which is like corner horn standard version. The kit consists of particle board bass enclosures, a aluminum die cast mid horn (identical to the one which is used by Klipsch in Khorns and La Scalas) with a driver called K55 by ACR (? OEM from Klipsch since it looks pretty much like an original K55 but no stickers, logos etc). The tweeter is an original square magnet T35 by EV (which, as far as I know Klipsch uses too).

The original bass driver was replaced in 96 with a MULTICEL MB-38A (info on http://www.lsv-speaker.de/tief/tief15p/00050154.html). Regarding the specs, the driver should be ok (low fs, average Xmax, Z: 8 Ohm, 97 db 1W/1m, fs: 25 Hz, Re: 5.2 Ohm, Qms: 3.32, Qes: 0.35, Qts: 0.32, Vas: 400 Liter, Sd: 880 cm², Xmax: 3 mm, Vd: 265 cm³, Le: 0.9 mH)

Now here is my problem: The crossover network consists from very cheap parts and was modified from the original somehow and I don t have the original plans of the networks which came with the kit.

From that what I think it is very far away from the optimum. Especially the critical mid/high section inspires little confidence in me.

So is the somebody out there whos got the original ACR or even better the Klipsch or ALK plans for the Klipschorn?

For the bass unit with the drivers Z of 8 Ohm (instead of 4 Ohm of the K33E) I will need to do some experimenting

Any help or comments appreciated!!!

Erik (volvotreter)

• 11 years later...

I just stumbled across this old thread (before my time).

WHAT DID YOU GUYS DO TO CHASE VOLVOTRETER AWAY???? [:'(]

This guy is a legend in DIY horns. Way ahead of his time.

He visited just last year. He wasn't chased away. He's just needed time to recover from the breakup of Ford and Volvo.

I just stumbled across this old thread (before my time).

WHAT DID YOU GUYS DO TO CHASE VOLVOTRETER AWAY???? [:'(]

This guy is a legend in DIY horns. Way ahead of his time.

He visited just last year. He wasn't chased away. He's just needed time to recover from the breakup of Ford and Volvo.

I can see that. 10 years is about right.

• 5 years later...

This Crossover-Plans above are not for the original K55 / T-35 Drivers (Mid / HF) . I have the original for them by ACR Swiss from end of 70's on Paper. If i get a reply and request and "volvotreter" is still looking for them ...so i will scanning it and post here.