Don't know what to get your favorite moderator for Christmas?

Amy

• Moderators

Den Mother needs a new wide angle lens!

Seriously, I know there are a lot of photography enthusiasts on this forum, and wanted to gather some advice from people I trust. I have a great 50mm lens...but that's all I have since I broke my 18-55mm "stock" lens last May. It's great for close-ups, but not great for family portraits, landscapes, etc.

I've been looking at a 28 mm fixed lens (Canon)...or maybe 35? I need something with a wide aperature, since I don't have good lighting equipment yet. Should I got with a fixed, or a zoom? My budget is limited.

Any advice?

Offhand (while we wait for some real experts to appear), I think a fixed-focus lens would be too limiting compared with a 3X lens like your 18-55. You'd constantly be wanting it longer or shorter.

Is yours a digital camera? If so, I'd assume your 18-55 mm zoom was a "DX" digital format, which means that various lens lengths look "longer" (less "wide") than on a 35 mm film camera. That would mean a 28 mm is a little wider than "normal," which is be comfortable for many situations, while your 50 mm would look a little telephoto. (Since the mm numbers game is potentially confusing, you should see if the lens is comfortable for you through the viewfinder as you look at familiar territory, people, etc.)

If you liked your 18-55, that's probably about what you should get. It's about a 3X zoom. If you want a wider range lens, I'd raise the top end, but honestly the Canon EF-S 18-55 seems to be about the most reasonably-priced mid-range zoom they have. http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_s_18_55mm_f_3_5_5_6_is

Non-manufacturer brands can be good or so-so. My suggestion is to ask a camera store that you trust.

"My budget is limited"... won't get you far with Canon lenses, particularly if you want something with a wide aperture (f/4 or better). I'm going to guess you have one of the APS-C sensor sized cameras, such as an EOS 20D - 60D or one of the Rebel series. But without really knowing your budget, you may be limited to going back to the 18-55mm "kit/stock" lens (not recommended).

Back when I had my Canon 20D, the first lens I bought was the EF 17-40 f/4L and it was probably the most used lens I had. On the APS-C sensor cameras you get 1.6x the focal range for an effective 27-64mm lens. The f/4 aperture through the zoom range is nice and it took REALLY nice photos.

If you go with a fixed focal length, you'll find yourself doing the "manual zoom" by walking back and forth to fit things in the frame. And that doesn't always work if you're in a room or some other place that may limit your movement.

I never used the EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM but it is IS stabilized and seems to be used by quite a few people.

Check out the Canon Lens Forum over on DPReview.com... you can find a thread for just about any Canon lens/camera combination and get some good feedback if you're willing to do a little reading.

Sigma also makes some nice lenses, (the EX series) if you want to go that route... a little less expensive, but still very good quality.

Amy, wide angle is an especially good example of "good glass ain't cheap, and cheap glass ain't good."

Listen to the experts here and "ouch" on the price or you will be sorry. I can tell that from the pix you post.

A fine wide angle lens is an extraordinary tool for the photographer and opens up otherwise unobtainable shots. No matter how good the photographer or how fine the camera, a picture will look precisely as good as the last piece of glass it went through. All the rest of the camera is simply a device to line it up with the reciever.

Dave

I'm a prime lens sort of guy. Ever since I switched from zoom lenses my photography has gotten better between both the increase in literal quality and the perspective demanded from a lens that doesn't do all the work for you.

Prime lenses are faster, sharper, stronger and challenge the way you look through the camera. You already know this because you have the 50mm. However, your 50mm is actually an 85mm for your camera. If you really want a 50mm effective lens, get the 28mm F2.8 from Canon. Alternately, for a stop faster at the sacrifice of only 7mm and $50, get the 35mm f2 from Canon. They are both great lenses.

Back when I shot on a crop sensor, I bought the Nikon 24mm F2.8. I loved it, used it all the time. Of course, once I got my full frame sensor, I find the 24mm sits in the bag a lot of the time. Going wide on a crop sensor is hard, normally you either have to get a super wide lens (expensive) so you can get an actual wide angle, or you have to use a kit lens which most of the time suck.

If it were me, I would get the 35mm f2. It's not cheap, $300, but it's also not expensive. That would be the Canon 35mm F1.4 at around $1,370. Yeah it's a great lens but compared to the f2, not $1,000 better, not unless you're shooting on a full frame sensor where the edge of the lens really matters and in super low light or for extreme depth control.

If you do decide you want a zoom lens and you need to save a few bucks, Tokina makes excellent lenses and they are almost always significantly cheaper than the Canon or Nikon varieties. They are new to the Canon game but came from a long line of Nikon lens makers. The Tokina 12-24mm F4 is about half the price of the Canon version. I used to have the 10-17mm F3.5-4 from Tokina and loved it for two years, no complaints. When I sold it, I actually made a profit! Only $50 but geeze, two years of solid use and someone paid me? Sweet. Also, don't be afraid of Sigma and Tamron, just do your due diligence.

Hope this helps... though when it comes to photography, marketing, strategy or audio, I do begin to ramble.

• Moderators

though when it comes to photography, marketing, strategy or audio, I do begin to ramble.

Hi Justin! I was hoping you'd pop in. You have the best photography rambling ever.

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone... I find that I'm leaning toward the fixed lens thing as well, although I do find changing lenses to be a pain. Especially considering that is how I broke my old one [:(] I'll just have to be more careful if I go that route.

Back when I shot on a crop sensor, I bought the Nikon 24mm F2.8.

Back in the day for me (about 1985) I was devoted to the micro-nikor 2.8. Best piece of glass for the bucks I ever used. The macro capability was extraordinary and showed through even when using the Vivitar 2 macro teleconverter that got me up to 5X magnification.

That lens was so good that even a rank amateur would notice the definition and detail it provided. Photographic equivalent of a Klipschorn. [:D]

Dave

I agree with Justin, a really good 35mm is probably the most versatile for what you are doing.

Not that familiar with Canon, only Nikon (have "old" D1X's and a D2X), but I have "reduced" my lens inventory down to a Nikor AFD 50mm 1.4, a Nikor AFD 28-105mm (which my wife "cannot live without", and she's a professional - exec editor of a newspaper), a Nikor AFD 80-200mm, for really nice long range stuff, and the "grab camera" (D1X) has a Nikor AFD 35-70mm which I find to be a very good compromise.

You might want to also check with KEH Cameras in Atlanta; they have really good deals on Canon and Nikon "pre-owned" certified lenses at very reasonable costs.

Hope that helps.

[H]

Back in the day for me (about 1985) I was devoted to the micro-nikor 2.8. Best piece of glass for the bucks I ever used. The macro capability was extraordinary

Me too. Extraordinarily versatile, outstanding color rendition and clarity, and best sun shielding ever (unless one foolishly puts a filter on it). No close-focusing limits for almost all photography.

This pic shows some of the very deep lens hood design of the front:

Nikon 55mm f/2.8 AF

Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8.jpg

It extends a surprising amount for greatest (1:2) magnification:

Nikon55mmmicroAIS.jpg

And yet is relatively compact when focused at infinity (its shortest length):

Micro-NIKKOR 55mm f/2.8 1442

Below is an image, greatly reduced in resolution from the original, that may provide a clue to the Micro Nikor 2.8's resolving abilities if you can overcome the compression. I shot this in 1985 and this poor representation is all that remains.

Three naturally occurring forms of carbon, as known at that time. Just this year graphene was discovered...but I'm not sure how I'd go about re-shooting this image today and attempting a photograph of a one atom thick graphene sheet.

Dave

post-9494-13819618817808_thumb.jpg

post-9494-1381962235593_thumb.jpg

questions:

which camera do you have? If it's full frame 24x36 mm sensor the focal length stays the same, smaller sensor gives that multiplier effect where a 35 becomes 52mm etc.

what's your favorite subject? If it's Steven or other single/couple shots, your choice of prime lens will be vastly different than if you're trying to capture groups.

Where do you use this lens? If around the house (short working distance to subject) your selection will be different than if you're outdoors or around the office.

M

• Moderators

which camera do you have?

Canon Rebel Xti

what's your favorite subject?

Portraits of people are my fave, but the 50 mm lens I have is wonderful for it. I'm looking for a wider angle lens for taking landscapes or large group photos. Something to compliment the 50 mm :)

Where do you use this lens?

I like to shoot mostly outdoors with the natural light. I have yet to accumulate lighting equipment for decent indoor shots.

Thanks for the help!!

I'd save up and get a short zoom 2.8 aperature. It'll be pricey but you can use it artistically at wider aperatures to knock background out of focus, capture moving subjects in less light. When travelling a zoom is good, you only have to carry one lens and let's face it with outdoor shots you can't always pick your working distance to subject.

For wedding receptions with 35mm film camera I liked a 28mm it was great for 4-5 people at pretty close range. I used a Lumiquest pocket bounce flash to give wider swath of flash. 24mm on digital would yield 36mm, to get 28 you'd have to start with something around 17mm. The old 17-50 range would be great but this time get a more pro lens that won't fall apart, has better optics and larger aperature.

Dad always said 'buy the best tools you can and you'll never be sorry'. Amy you like photography, you're good at it. Treat yourself. Get the BIG glass.

Next lens would be 85 1.8 or 1.4 for portraits from some distance. GREAT lenses, pricey sure but what the heck, right?

M

M