Updated Fortes

DWR

I just wanted to add my testimonial to Bob Crites and the excellent crossover networks that he offers. I updated my ’87 Klipsch Fortes a few days ago and all I can say is “Wow” – I had no idea how their sound had dulled over the years. I’m hearing all kindsof instruments and nuances that I’ve been missing for quite some time – the horns areactually doing their jobs once again. Thank you Bob for providing the means for restoring my Fortes to their former glory.Money well spent in my opinion – I’m good for another twenty years.

I wanted to listen to them for a while first before I made any more changes. I have read so many positive comments on this site regarding the titanium tweeter upgrades that I'm pretty sure I will be installing those in the near future.

I have performed both upgrades on my 22 year-old Fortes this year; the crossovers made an obvious (to me) improvement in clarity and definition of instruments and voices. The titanium tweeter diaphragm upgrades are harder to quantify, possibly because I suffer from a moderate amount of tinnitus ("ringing" in the ears) that blunts some appreciation of very-high treble material.

BTW, if you go ahead with them, be VERY careful when handling the new diaphragms; the titanium is roughly the thickness of aluminum foil, and you don't want to touch or make contact with anything on them (I dented one in slightly while handling them, but was able to restore it back to position with no visible tearing...)

BTW, if you go ahead with them, be VERY careful when handling the new diaphragms; the titanium is roughly the thickness of aluminum foil, and you don't want to touch or make contact with anything on them (I dented one in slightly while handling them, but was able to restore it back to position with no visible tearing...)

I did the exact same thing![:S] Just be careful if they do not fit in place easily.

I just sent off the money for the midrange diaphragms so late next week I'll let you know what I think.