Smurf Scalas

I mentioned in another thread that I would start one about these lovely speakers...........

I/we (me and the dogs) are the proud owners of four Smurf Blue LSI Theatre La Scalas with consecutive serial numbers - 3N890, 91, 92, 93. They are 1975 models, one piece with NO factory trim. These were purchased a couple of months ago and shipped as a group. Someone had added handles, casters, brass corners and aluminum 1/2 inch trim, that was screwed/nailed to the corners with evry type of nail and screw imaginable. This goes from #8 wood screws to 6D nails with roofing nails of various lengths, thrown in. The different amount of hardware that was used is un-imaginable.....! I had these shipped by truck freight without any special consideration for packing or putting on a pallet, as I figured that there was NOTHING that the truck driver could possibly do to damage them any further than they already were. The only saving grace was that they had all of the interior parts, they worked and the price was right.

post-57654-13819618773848_thumb.jpg

post-57654-13819622323958_thumb.jpg

If anyone has any information on these, please share. I will update this thread with the refurbishing of these to put them back to their original state "somewhat" as I am adding handles and closing the back opening up, to create a LSI Single cabinet with trim.

Three of the cabinets hae been stripped of the beautiful blue poly vinyl coating that was over some metal flake green paint that covered the original black factory coating. After much sanding, we got back to the original wood and bondoed all of the imperfections that were found. Surprisingly, the cabinets were in relatigvely great shape other than the cosmetics. The original cabinets had the plastic Pie logo nailed on the top front with three coats of paint covering them, so they are not salvagable. I may get Chris, of (Rage: Pie in my Mailbox!) fame, to make me a set for these cabinets.

You can see two of the finished cabinets in the background, of the below photo:

post-57654-13819618779962_thumb.jpg

post-57654-13819622327158_thumb.jpg

A few answers................

Bliss: These came from Pelham, NH the first part of September

CECA:Have not determined their future, but the two that I have already done look great

Gromelake: They came from a theatre and they have K-43 woofers. Two of them have been completed and are in the background

Mungkiman: That is a 50 percent Edge 540 with a ZDZ 212 Twin; I have some other hobbies not just speakers......!

To my knowledge these were the only Blue La Scala's out there, I bought them because they were sooooo ugly....!

Hello,

My history with these speakers dates back to may of 2007.

a guy in derry nh had them for sale and wanted 1500 for all four.

i called him and went to see them(derry is only a few miles from me).

they were stored under a deck overhang and covered with a tarp.

we had had a lot of rain and flooding at the time so i was wary of water damage.

he took the cover off them and i saw the blue paint and started laughing.

he then told me a story(lies) about how they were 15 years old and he was original owner.

i pointed out the date code of 1975 stamped into the wood and on the labels and he quickly rescinded that story and told me a new one(probably still lies)

about they were his brothers and he was in a band, thats why they had the wheels and handles and edging on them.

i looked them over and at the time i had very little knowledge of klipsch speakers . under all that paint the cabinets looked like they may be ok,

and they were consecutively numbered. but the crossovers looked nasty on a couple of them and the midhorns looked crappy as well.

i offered him 500 for a pair and he refused, saying he wanted 750 for a pair. i told him to let me know if he changed his mind. he never called.

they were for sale for a while longer and then the listing dissapeared, so i assumed they got sold or he gave up on selling them.

Then last year i see a listing for a pair of k-horns in lowell mass and me and a buddy

go over to see the k-horns. the guy(different guy from seller in derry)opens his garage door and SURPRISE the SMURFSCALAS are

sitting there!!!. i laughed and told him my story of the SMURFSCALAS and that they were semi famous on this forum.

we went upstairs and checked out the k-horns, very nice, but black in color. My buddy asks about the SMURFSCALAS and next thing you know we are loading them up and taking them to NH. My friend had good intensions of stripping them and refinishing them but never really had the time to do it.

So he put them up for sale and now you have them, great job so far by the way.

Its good to see they are really nice under that ugly paint after all.

So thats my entry into the legend of the SMURFSCALAS.

Have fun with them and please keep us updated.

I think some kind of blue stripe or other blue marking would be a great idea.

May the Legend of the SMURFSCALAS LIVE ON...........................................[:D]

invalidbuffalo,

I have no earthly idea what advantage that would have over four La Scalas on casters that can be moved about a room or area of any size. Four La Scalas seperately amped would blast you out of most enviornments and I do not think stacking would improve the sound quality, unless you were trying to do something outdoors or in a very large hall. IIRC, the Boston Pops had four stacked per side at the Esplanade, as one of their first sound system setups. Thats a prety big ampitheatre................

• 1 month later...

Blu,

I have two of the four completed. One is ready for paint and the fourth awaits stripping. I have gone through these completely even to the point of re-finishing the crossover boards. I am awaiting the Pro Logos that I am having cut and I think Chris is going to make me some Blue accented Pie Logos. I hope to get these finished over the Holidays and I will post some pictures this weekend.

I truly considered painting them back in blue but I realized returning them back to original, was the best course. They will always be "THE" Smurf Scalas and Chris' logos will represent that. This thread will be the proof of their former life. I have become quite attached to them and will probably keep them around, unless someone REALLY wants them bad....! The fact that they are four consecutive serial numbers has special meaning and it would be hard to break up the family.

W. C.

Really, REALLY, like what you're doing here. Love the idea of the blue "pies". Please go that route!

The 4 consecutive serials is a really big deal. Don't think I could ever part with them myself.

I can hardly wait for the completed pics. Nice work, so far!

Jrod