Marantz vs. McIntosh vs. Marantz

CaptnBob

Let's throw this out for debate - it's time to "thin the herd" a bit and I'd like to get some different perspectives. I've got three receivers - a Marantz 18, and Marantz 19 and a McIntosh 4100.

Their respective virtues and vices:

Marantz 18 - the last of the original "Saul & Sid" Marantz - handsome, scope receiver. In a bit rougher shape cosmetically than the other two. Sounds really good in an early solid-state sort of way. Design has an evil reputation for unreliability; this particular unit was assembled from the remains of two failed receivers. Works well now, and has new dial glass. Marantz hand stenciled the numbers for each receiver so it would be accurate regardless of unit to unit variation. Good idea - until someone tries to clean it with Windex. 40 wpc rms and they meant it - this one's closer to 50.

Marantz 19 - Touted when build as the world's most expensive receiver - kind of an odd thing to brag about. $1,200 in Nixon era cash. Elegant looking, with a shutoff for the scope - good to avoid burns. Near mint cosmetically except there is some kind of goo or something on the inner dial glass. Doesn't affect performance, but does look odd - it comes across as a shadow on the left end of the dial. The stereo light and the dial pointer light don't work - my tech said there didn't seem to have ever been provision for them - that is, no lamp socket, no wires, no nothin'. Again, ugly rumors about reliability, though not as widespread as the 18. A bit softer sounding than the 18 - not as detailed, but not as edgy, either. This particular unit has never given any problems, except for the non-existant lamps. Rated at 50 wpc rms, but good for about 55.

McIntosh 4100 - The first McIntosh receive that actually said "McIntosh" on the faceplate, and the receiver Orson Wells was listening to "Mozart" on in the "We'll sell no wine before it's time" ads. Powerful - 100 wpc. I've never tested it, but being a Mac I'm sure it's got more. Just about every feature you could want, from a five band equalizer to a switch that lets your turntable turn it on and off - in case you like going to sleep listening to lps. Sounds pretty good - different than the two Marantz, but nothing objectionable. My beef with it is this - what was Mac's design department thinking? Putting a vinyl clad cabinet (and not even good vinyl) on a receiver this expensive? Knobs and buttons galore, apparently stuck in wherever they would fit? Yellow flashing lights and meters instead of McIntosh blue? I know, did I buy it to look at it or listen to it, but still, the overall effect is, for want of a better term, kinda cheesy, and compared to the Sun Valley units, pretty dated.

Well there you have it - let the discussion begin.

Well, I have not owned any of these, but have owned 70's vintage Marantz and McIntosh both.

Based on those minimal qualifications, assuming all are in relativaly the same condition sonically and 5 minutes of research I would rank them like this:

#1 - McIntosh 4100, built 1978 to 1985, I am guessing this one will sound the best in most situations, has great build quality, solid period looks (lot's going on). Was the most expensive at $2K when new, McIntosh has not survived only from it's reputation, this type of gear helped to build that reputation.

#2 - Marantz 19, built 1970 to 1975, I love Marantz stuff and this is by far the best looking IMHO. It is ranked as rare at audio classics and sold for $1K new.

#3 - Someone has to lose. Built 1968 to 1972, Nice looking but just not as special as the two more popular kids in this class. Selling at $695 new the lesser expensive one as well, even considering the time value of money.

No science here, just opinion. [:)]

I would really hate to get rid of either #1 or #2, choices have to be made! Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...