Forte or Heresy III

opteron44

Hello all,

I have been waiting for my elbow to heal before upgrading from my current KG-4's. Recognizing the obvious limitations in such a question, it appears that I can choose between Fortes and Heresy III.

I listen primarily to classical music, although the speakers will serve as fronts in my HT. Current equipment includes Oppo BDP-80, Rotel 855CD, Emotiva UMC-1 Pre/Pro, Emotiva XPA-3 amp (fronts and center), Emotiva UPA-2 amp (rears), Klipsch KG-4 (front), Emotiva ERM-1, Acculine A-1 (rear), Dali S 1.2 (sub).

The room is 9' wide x 17' long x 7.5' high and the fronts are 9.5' from the listening position.

The Fortes are much cheaper, have deeper bass, but, since all that I have seen are original, subject to the wear and tear of use, humidity, etc. The Heresy III's are new, more expensive, less bass.

All things being equal, these are probably the last speakers that I will be purchasing and I would like to get it right.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Great question. I have not heard HIII's but I own Heresys and Fortes. I really think that Fortes are basically a taller Heresy with lots of good bass so I would recomend the Fortes and then look into doing some mods on them. I listen to a fair amount of classical music through my fortes and I love it.

Hope this helps

Welcome to the forums.

All things being equal, these are probably the last speakers that I will be purchasing and I would like to get it right.

You seem to be operating under the misapprehension that this 'hobby' isn't an addiction. The path you're on leads to LaScalas, Khorns, or even larger frankenstien MWM/402 combos. It's inevitable, just quit fighting it. Last speakers? Please![;)]

Since you use a sub, I would probably lean toward the new Heresy over the old forte. Better cosmetic shape, all new bits, perhaps more flexibility regarding placement. They would keep you happy for some time.

• Moderators

You seem to be operating under the misapprehension that this 'hobby' isn't an addiction. The path you're on leads to LaScalas, Khorns, or even larger frankenstien MWM/402 combos. It's inevitable, just quit fighting it. Last speakers? Please!Wink

I read this this morning and was so confused by the statement of "last speakers" I didn't even answer, I was dazed and speechless. [:S]

I apologize for the confusion over "last speakers".

Just to clarify: I am retired and have limited money to put into my system. Having recently replaced my pre/pro and amplifers - with excellent results - my budget limit is in sight. Once the front speakers are done, I will still need to leave money for the eventual replacement of the CD player. (To my ears, there is a noticeable difference between the Oppo and the Rotel, to say nothing of the convenience of a dedicated player.)

So, while I recognize that there are always new possibilities, I also must recognize the limitations of my resources. I can only drool over the system specs I see here, but, what I have now is pretty good and I will better it insofar as I can.

I have auditioned a fair number of speakers from Aperion, Magnepan, and a bunch of others and, to my ears (and my wife's), the overall presentation of the KG-4's is significantly better than what the others had to offer with the music that we listen to. And, frankly, the performance for HT is not too shabby either.

So, I'm hoping to spend the money and get a significant improvement and - so far as I can tell - the Heritage series is the best choice for me. The question is which way to go.

(By the way, I tore a tendon in my elbow installing the XPA-3 and, given the most optimistic assumption for recovery, I will be hard pressed to get anything large up the steps and positioned. This is an important consideration as well...)

• Moderators

So, while I recognize that there are always new possibilities, I also must recognize the limitations of my resources.

Very well put, and I know exactly what your talking about. [Y]

I have never heard KG-4's so I can't really compare them to the Forte or the Heresy.

But looking at the bottom line Forte ll's can be found for way less than half the price of new Heresy's. I really do like the new Heresy's but for three times the price of used Forte's that's a little tough.

With Klipsch speakers you don't have to worry about the speaker surround rotting or the cabinet coming apart so age is not a big problem at all. About the only thing that is popular to do is update the caps in the crossovers or just buy replacements, there is someone who sells replacements with good parts right here on the forum.

Good luck, one thing for sure is this forum can save you some money with the experience that's here.

Can't speak toward the Heresy too much, but I had KG-4s and Forte IIs in the house at the same time. The Forte II was the clear winner. Yes the KG-4 is good, but side by side the Forte II is much more open and revealing. I think you won't be disappointed at all with an upgrade into the Heritage line.

I know what you are dealing with, since I am also retired and wish to avoid becoming an upgrade addict. I recently got the HIIIs. I wanted the Cornwalls, but they are just bigger than I want to deal with.

I can tell you that you will want a subwoofer if you get the HIIIs, but they do have more bass output than previous versions. Mine are still breaking in and sound better every day.

On the other hand, many of the members of this forum also get a subwoofer to go with their LaScallas, Fortes, Klipschorns, etc. Klipsch says that the HIII has the same frequency response as the LaScalla, but at a lower volume level.

My HIIIs are very detailed and present a good sound stage. The cherry veneer is georgeous. I have a 12" Velodyne sub.

There is a magazine review available on the HIII. I will email it to you if you send me your email address.

Another advantage of the HIII is that they are available new, as opposed to hunting around for a pair of Fortes in nice condition.

Good luck on your decision.

If you have they money for a pair of Heresy III why is the only other option Fortes? I price a pair of the new Heresy III at $1600. For that kind of expenditure there are a number of very good options that will cost far less including Chorus, Cornwalls, and La Scalas. All of these can be had in excellent condition for well under a thousand. You will have more than enough left over to be able to pay someone to move them into place for you. I got my La Scalas for around $800. A friend of mine has had great luck in using members of the local HS wrestling team to move heavy equipment for his shop. They think $20 for a few min. work is great! [;)]

I too would tell you to go with the Fortes. I recently bought, a very well preserved, pair locally off of ebay for only $300 with the intentions of selling them on Craigslist for a nice profit. In ten days I had two buyers willing to pay me $500 for them, but after listening to them I could not give them up. I also have the KG 5.5s and they are not as good as the Fortes. This is my personal opinion and can not compare them to the Heresy IIIs, because I have not heard them. Good Luck.

In my area (Philadelphia), Forte I's are going for $550 and Forte II's (with some throw in's) for $650.

Given that I am not real good with a soldering iron, the prospect of changing any part of the circuitry is not a happy one. At the same time, as has been mentioned, the difference in dollars is very compelling.

Given the size of the room (and the fact that my wife has been good enough to allow me to put the KG-4's effectively in the middle of the room), looking at anything larger is really not practical - even if I could lift them.

One of the key questions is whether spending the money for the Forte, let alone the Heresy, will produce enough of a difference for me that will justify the expense. This is just one of the things that makes this whole bsiness of audio so interesting - you just don't know what you're getting until it's in your room with your equipment. I paid a guy to audition the Ohm speakers that he had for sale on Audiogon. Since he lived close by, it was all right with him. I'm glad that he was willing. The sound stage was most impressive, but, to my ear, while the bass was present, it was overly refined. After a couple of other test tracks, it was obvious that I wasn't going to be happy with them and so I considered the payment part of the learning curve.

I do appreciate the interest that you all have taken in my situation and, should anyone else care to chime in, I would welcome it. In any case, I'll post whatever I end up with, whenever I end up with it.

In my living room, the HIIIs with a 12" sub are very satisfying when playing jazz. Jazz recordings are much higher quality that most rock recordings. A stand-up bass will sound like it is there in the room with you, and some recordings (such as Sonny Rollins "The Bridge") seem holographic. I keep looking for how a drummer managed to set up his kit behind my TV.

Some rock sounds good....the ones with clearly recorded instruments and voices. The HIII/sub combination can 'get a grip' on the music and convey a driving sound. Others sound like mud...but that's what they were rcorded like. I marvel at how much better my Beatles LPs sound with the HIIIs and subwoofer. I can clearly hear Ringo's drums now.

I can physically feel the bass to a small extent. Drum hits do sound real (I am a drummer).

If you want more of a physical, warm, tactile bass that you can easily feel in your gut: then perhaps Forte or Chorus would be the way to go.

By the way, I grew up in Havertown. Just a bit SW of Philadelphia.

I hear where you are coming from. I tried to sneak a pair of my speakers upstairs and the only set my wife would allow were the Herseys. Everything else was just too big and not decorator correct. While the Heresey may not be the badest kid on the block at least their cute enough to sneak upstairs.

I have Heresy's and Forte II's. And Khorns and Jubs too. And I now listen to the Forte's in my bedroom system on a SS Harman Kardon, and in my library/music room on some McIntosh tube set. I love them. That is compared to the Khorns and Jub's. I love them too, but they are different. I am using them in my HT now. I think the Heresy's are a great speaker. Have 2 of my boys that have them in their rooms. But, I find the Forte's even a step up. And, cheaper than the HIII. Funny thing is, my Forte's are really some of my lesser expensive speakers. And right up there at the top of my list!

I have listened to the forte II next to the heresy II.

I was shocked at how much bass the fortes had. The heresy need a sub to compare. I did feel the heresay was better sounding speaker for my tastes in music. They just sounded more dynamic. more open. more like the band is right in front of you. They just dont have any deep bass. I choose the fortes since I didnt want the complexity of having a sub and i have the erge to listen to music with deep bass on occasion.

Well, while I was looking at the responses to my inquiry and thinking about them, both of the deals I was looking at on the local CraigsList disappeared. Perhaps it was for the best.

While thinking about the money, the effort to get the replacements in the house and up to the listening room, move the KG-4's out, etc. I had been looking at other threads in the forum. I noticed that the Crites crossovers and titanium replacement diaphragms got reviews from positive to rhapsodic. While, clearly, anything I might do with the KG-4's could lead only to incremental improvement, rather than revolutionary change, I began to wonder if - all things considered - that might be satisfactory at this point. I recognize that to some here, this is an heretical point (no pun intended), but it seemed to me worth exploring.

So, I called and spoke with Klipsch Tech Support about him and, after receiving a positive report, I talked with Bob Crites at some length about my situation. I was quite impressed with his clear and thoughtful approach. He suggested that I might realize the most significant improvement with the diaphragms, rather than the crossovers. Not that they are mutually exclusive, but he thought that, in my position, that's where he would start.

For $58.00, they are on their way to me. After all, at worst, the difference will be minimal (as will the outlay) and I can always resume looking for other speakers. But, if I have the same good experience as others have had, then it may be that even with getting the crossovers as a second step, it may turn out that I can get where I want to be for right around $300.

Just now, this approach makes good sense to me and so I'll see where it leads.

To be sure, I want to thank everyone again for taking the time to think about my question and share their opinion here.

Once I complete the installation and allow for break-in listening time, I'll report the outcome in a new thread.