Pretty happy with my super inexpensive subs...

superedge88

I had gotten a pair of KG 3.2 speakers a while back for the bedroom theater. About a month ago the wife and I got rid of old furniture and refurnished the bedroom which left the KG's without a shelf to sit on and very short on height, the hunt was on for speaker stands. The idea then occured to me that I could just get a second Klipsch SUB-12 and then use both subs as speaker stands, but I couldn't find a good price on another SUB-12. I then found a company called Acoustic Audio that has rock bottom prices for their subs, they sell on ebay and they sell on their own site. I did a little research, some people claimed that they were just white van speakers, and then I found this forum which has a TON of information from many people that were pretty happy with their Acoustic Audio subwoofer purchases.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/subwoofers/85212-official-acoustic-audio-subwoofer-owners-thread.html

I decided to get 2 of the RWSUB-15 subwoofers

http://www.thedeepdiscount.com/p-3776-acoustic-audio-rwsub-15-600-watt-15-powered-subwoofer-home-theater-sub.aspx

I bought each of them off of Acoustic Audio ebay page for the "best offer" price of $150 each with FREE SHIPPING. I read that the subs lacked enough poylfil, so I added extra polyfil, and then extended the legs to give the woofer and port more room to move/breathe. These subs really are very effective, and a bargain for such a low price. I have isolated the speakers by placing soft rubber pads between the KG's and the subs. I have the subs crossed over at 60 hertz to avoid vocals coming through the subs. These subs do have a low input sensitivity, so after tweaking them over the last couple of weeks I now have the gain on each of the subs at the 3 o'clock position and the sub output on the denon receiver at +6. The auto turn on feature on these subs times out after ~30 seconds, which in my opnion is about 10x too short. So I will be getting one of those "green" power strips to act as the auto turn on for these subs and just leave the subs switched to constantly "ON". Over all I am very happy with these inexpensive units, I have more than enough headroom with zero audible distortion, and some pretty deep extension. I couldn't ask for more from my budget bedroom theater!

Posted Image

Curious. Why do people put home theaters in bedrooms? I've never really understood it. It's as strange to me as putting a bed in the living room.

Where's the most comfortable spot in your house, most would say it's their bed. And on stormy/cold nights, the bedroom theater is a haven! It can also make date night with the wife a little more interesting [;)]

I'm thinking mostly of the limitations. Sure, I have a nice tv on the wall, but any type of speakers would be waking up or disturbing any of the surrounding bedroom occupants. I don't do theaters unless I can listen at tactile levels, otherwise the tv speakers do just fine. I can't say I even use the main theater more than once a month now that we have 2 little ones. That'll change when they're much older, but until then the bedroom is for sleeping and shenanigans only. I don't really like laying down or sleeping to begin with I suppose. Ick, I'd rather be outside. It seems to sort of creepy to me to hold up in a bedroom during the day; like, "Hey kids, guess what we're doing, wink wink." Ew.

• Like 1

Sounds like a bedroom theater just isn't for you CAS.

I have no kids, and don't plan on having any any time soon. We only watch movies in the bedroom in the evenings, once we are going to bed for the night. We definitely listen at "tactile levels" which are easily reached with these KG 3.2's and these dual subwoofers [:D] No one else in the house to bother, I actually find myself a little torn between watching movies in the main home theater vs. the bedroom theater, it's a good problem to have [:P]

At first blush, putting HT in the bedroom sounds kinda weird. But I guess my wife and I often watch a movie or TV series (like True Blood) at night after the kids have gone to bed. Maybe a discrete HT in our bedroom wouldn't be a bad idea. The Klipsch HD Theater 300 would fit nicely...

Regarding inexpensive subs, careful installation will reap dividends. I have spent hours fine-tuning my SW-450, and I now cannot tell when the sub stops and the Belles start. All I feel and hear is room shaking bass.

Curious. Why do people put home theaters in bedrooms? I've never really understood it. It's as strange to me as putting a bed in the living room.

Now, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum,
What might be right for you, may not be right for some.
A man is born, he's a man of means.
Then along come two, they got nothing but their jeans.

But they got, Different Strokes.
It takes, Different Strokes.
It takes, Different Strokes to move the world.

Everybody's got a special kind of story
Everybody finds a way to shine,
It don't matter that you got not alot
So what,
They'll have theirs, and you'll have yours, and I'll have mine.
And together we'll be fine....

Because it takes, Different Strokes to move the world.
Yes it does.
It takes, Different Strokes to move the world.