Life expectancy of Heresy I's?

bardoco

I had a pair of '75s and sold them to a friend years ago

and they sounded good then. He works out of town and

hardly uses them at all so they are now around 35 years

old.

What is the first thing to give audible problems if not

abused? Wiring, crossover, diaphragms, wot?

Also, is there a drop in 12" replacement now for the

Series I's?

Thanks.

• Like 1

...Capacitors in the crossover: replacing them with something better and a lot newer since caps degrade over time (...some types less rapidly than others).

"Something better" can be defined in multiple ways - I'd search this forum for Heresy cap refreshing threads and then pick your own price point/performance level. I bought my replacement Solen's at Parts Express for a few dollars, but that's only my opinion...

Chris

Yeh, agree that replacing the caps will essentially restore the H1's to factory spec. The good news is that the caps don't have to be pricey to be an excellent match for the factory parts.

For a drop in woofer replacement: more robust bass can be achieved by dropping in a K28 from Klipsch parts or a Bob Crites 12". I've got both of these options in Heresy 1's in my house. The result is most pleasant to my ears.

• 6 years later...

I have the Heresy 1s which are probably 35 years old also. To my ears they still sound great. But according to previous poster it may be time to do some maintenance. I am not handy with disassembly a speaker. Does Klipsch offer a factory refresh program or have a recommended refurbisher?

Thanks

• Like 2

Welcome @Willjam2.  This seven year-old thread is essentially yours now.  The original poster, bardoco, posted once and has not returned.  The advice from Daddy Dee -- who passed away years ago -- is still good today.  

This is afternoon I'll be working on decades old Heresys and La  Scalas, both of which received crossover refreshments using capacitors from Bob Crites, whom can be reached through http://www.critesspeakers.com/. If curious, visit my thread, "Duratex & Speakon; La Scala & Heresy" as evidence that the life expectancy of Klipsch Heritage is indefinite.  

• Moderators
12 hours ago, ricktate said:

Not sure if they have a FACTORY program but you really don't need that.

YES klipsch does refresh crossovers, call them if you want them to do it.

Yes I was surprised to hear this but was told they do by someone who knows, Chief Bonehead. I guess it's a secret, I don't know of anyone who knew this ? I asked and was told YES we do refresh them, I thought he was joking but he was serious.

• Like 1

• Moderators
21 hours ago, Willjam2 said:

I have the Heresy 1s which are probably 35 years old also. To my ears they still sound great. But according to previous poster it may be time to do some maintenance. I am not handy with disassembly a speaker. Does Klipsch offer a factory refresh program or have a recommended refurbisher?

Thanks

I am not sure if you have to send them just the crossover or how they do it.

Sorry I didn't notice this was your first post, I really came back just to say Welcome Willjam2. :emotion-21: 

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, muel said:

I just imagine they aren't the original kind.  You mean the make and model of what they use currently but of the correct value I suppose.

Yes, that's what I meant, there are about 40 different bins (or more) with different size caps and parts, I would guess different values, not sure but I think many were yellow, have no idea of the brand. In the same area there are a few different workstations/tables. I seen nothing that looked like the old oil can type, I would think they stopped using that a long time ago.