Thinking about coming back to Klipsch . . .

bardoco

I listened to Heresy I's for 17 years and sold them, like a fool. Drifted a while and then got RB-5's which sounded really good, perhaps more refined (tamed) than my Heresys. Then sold them and am now listening to Usher S-520's. Of course, that meant I immediately had to pack away my 2 watt Decware and get some serious sand on the stand.

I'm getting a hankering to go back to a more efficient speaker and based on my space it could be: RB-52, RF-52, or RF-42. Now, my major concern is imaging. I'm afraid that a twin midwoofer speaker like the RF's may not deliver quite the image as the RB's. The second consideration is the bass performance and quickness of the midwoofs. Naturally, one would think the smaller the cone the faster.

Any words on differences between these three?

PS. I figure the RB-81 might be a tad sluggish in the midwoof department. Ideas?

I do almost all of my listening with RF-15s (still around if you check online) which are very similar to the RF-52s. The imaging and soundstage is absolutely phenomenal. Your two watt Decware amps would be an incredible match for them, assuming you aren't looking to create enormous spls in a large room. Bass performance is also phenomenal (if you can accept that you're not going to get much below around 40 Hz, although the RF-52s are supposed to go lower than the RF-15s). Obviously, with tube amps, the bass is going to be a bit more "mushy" than with solid state. Having owned K-horns and Cornwalls in the past, I have to say that the RF-15s are actually more enjoyable to listen to, and allow much greater involvement in the music. Look at my equipment profile for room size, and mode of listening. Why not buy a pair of the RF-52s from a dealer which has a return privilege if you are not satisfied with them? I doubt that you will be disappointed.