Anyone use a splitter with 2 subs...

SuBXeRo

I have 100 emo bucks to use since i bought a UMC-1 and basically, i have no extra money ontop of that so i am buying accessories for the future! I eventually want to have 2 subs in the future but i wanted to know if anyone had this specific config. I was going to split the left and right channels so that each channel would output to a sub. My idea behind it is that not all the bass is emphasized on all channels at the same time so i was thinking that it would be acoutically better to have that full range in the left and right channel. Does anyone do this? I know you can split the dedicated sub channel to 2 subs, do you think that is better?

I was going to split the left and right channels so that each channel would output to a sub. My idea behind it is that not all the bass is emphasized on all channels at the same time so i was thinking that it would be acoustically better to have that full range in the left and right channel.

If you have an active crossover--such as a EV Dx38, DC-One, or a Behringer DCX-2496--you can do this and I think it is preferred if you are crossing over to your subs above, well, let's say 80 Hz, and your room is fairly large in plan view (i.e., length x width). However, if you are crossing at a lower point or your room isn't very large (i.e., less than 15 feet in x or y dimensions), then I think that the sub-out channel is sonically indistinguishable.

Does anyone do this?

Yes, if you are not using a AVP/AVR, then most '70s thru ~'80s vintage receivers didn't have a separate subwoofer channel. I think that you will need an active crossover downstream of your preamp and upstream of power amps if you want to be able to control the gain on the "subwoofer" channels.

Chris

Well, i can mess with the crossovers, thats for sure and generally subs come with HPF controls so i was figuring i would set everything around 40-50hzso that things on each channel would have a really nice full range sound and the sounds from each channel would be emphasized. Ideally, a 3rd sub would be added to be the dedicated sub channel and i would want to place that one under my center.

needless to say my emobux expire in january so i realyl dont know what else to buy, alli can do is accessories. rarararar

Another way to do it is to bypass the crossover in the preamp and use the crossover in your subs. That way you avoid having two filters in the line. IOW, run the signal full frequency (left and right channel)s to the subs and from there to the main speakers. That is Velodyne's preferred method. I'm assuming your subs will allow that.

Frank