Promedia 4.1 vs. Logitech z560 vs. Altec Lansing 641 vs. Boston Acoustics BA7800??

Gluegun

quote:

Originally posted by TheEAR:

Roj you have to pass your point here,I know ProMedia Admins will like you.
Wink.gif
LOL

As I know your fave PC speaker system is the LoudMedia 5.1,the loudest of em all.Now boost the bass,let the bass flow.

Now Roj can you dig that?

Gluegun,

Great review on the 3DSS board,its the first good review I read in a long time.As most web reviews are plain jokes,most take 5 minutes to write and are clearly biased towards one brand or lack substance.Again great review.

I dont agree with all the things said but overall its quite to the point.For instance the internal amp in the Swan M200 is not in any way High-End.I saw the amp myself and its a good amp...for a PC speaker but light years away from serious audiophile amps.And no I am not biased here.

As you may or may not have noticed I am going to order the Swan M200 and Swan M1 monitor speakers($999 on the site).The M1's should compare very well to the Contour 1.1,the Contour 1.1 is THE best minotor under $2000,none so far did even match its efortless,natural and lifelike highs and midrange to make the competition week in the knees.When I first did audition the Contour 1.1 I was awestruch by the bass(I am talking sub 40Hz bass!)these tiny marvels generate!

So I cant wait to get my M200,they will join my PC speaker army.The M1's,well they may replace the Totel ROKK,Klipsch RSW10 as sub and Celeste 4050i(integrated amp).

I will report about the Swans for sure.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Theears, do you think you could keep relevant information in their respective threads? Thanks!

http://216.37.9.58/ubb/Forum33/HTML/001783.html

------------------

"Feh."

The Logitech sub is most definitely not tighter than the Promedia 4.1 sub. I had the chance to listen to them both and the Klipsch had it over the Logitech save for outright exaggeration ability.

I also had a problem with the tweeterless Z560, they simply don't soar as high or as open. If you have high frequency hearing loss they may be adequate.

This message has been edited by OTL on 04-10-2002 at 09:20 AM

• Like 1

The promedia sets are really good speakers.(Im talking about the 4.1's, i think the 5.1's are exallant.) I like the tweeters, and its something i wish my z-560's had. But i always get this feeling like the sub and the sats are on two different sides of the sound spectrum. I got this tinny sounding sats and this kinda boomy sub sound, and it sounded like they were 500 feet apart, but still in the same room. I don't know if its just because Best Buy sucks, or if i just don't prefer the "Promedia" sound.

The Z-560's TO ME sounded much better. The system blends well with all frequencies it can play and its louder. I get no port noise and im scared to try and get some. The thing, as i said before is, that i wish i had a tweeter like the promedia's one.

So i have to say that the Z-560's are a better value and the Promedia's are not overpriced, but i just think if you can get what the Z-560 brings for $150, then why spend $250 for what the Promedia brings? The Z-560 IMO is a little more than slightly better than the Promedia 4.1 sets. So i can not really see why the 4.1's are worth the extra $100. A tweeter isn't worth $100.

------------------

~You laugh because im diffrent,i laugh because your ugly~

GreenDay Rules!

"Im a newbie at anything physical,but i can talk alot"-Me

"I don't know why i visit these boards,i don't even own the promedias."

"You will see more quotes by me"

"Like this one"

"Pushy little children, with their fully automatics, they like to push the weak around!"- System Of A Down

"Drink Redkabul, we get our water from other bottles of water, we can't make our own because our country is dirty and disgusting."- kid in my class

"Its all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then its a scavenger hunt."

"Its not the pollution thats killing the oceans and trees, its the impurities in our air and water that are doing it." -Former gov't guy

better than the 4.1's, yes, they have more powerful bass, but they cost more, $299

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Well, I went to a Gateway store, and had a chance to demo the BA7800's for myself....

And Oh My God...

These speakers KICK ***!! The highs and mids were clear, the bass was respetably tight (they could have been set up better, but I could tell it wasn't BOOOM BOOOM), the bass had IMPACT, the highs weren't harsh or anything and they had plenty of air... the imaging and soundstaging was good, voices sounded natural...

Oh My God...

That WHOOPS every Promedia I have heard...

------------------

"Feh."

quote:

Originally posted by CheesePuff:

What is the 4.2? I have seen no mention of it on the products page... is it two 2.1's in one setup?

why yes, that is what it is. and, exhardware JUST did a review of the 4.2 http://www.exhardware.com/reviews.php?Id=73

fresh off the presses.

gluegun... i was not NEARLY as impressed as you with Boston Acoustics...

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

Sorry--I have a vendetta against highs that are too much up front. It's fatiguing to me, and I like having some depth in my soundstage. I guess am slightly biased against the Klipsch multimedia sound...oh, and, note that I haven't had a decent demo of the 5.1's....

------------------

"Feh."

This message has been edited by Gluegun on 04-15-2002 at 03:22 PM

well, you are entitled to your own opinion Smile.gif. if you don't like bright highs, than you won't like klipsch more than likely.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

• 4 weeks later...

Well i have 300 dollars to spend, what i have trouble is what speakers to buy.

1. I was thinking about Klipsch but i heard about klipsch not using their own drivers and boomy bass.

2. I was thinking about the logitechs before the Klipschs and heard about the excess bass and boomy bass.

3. I have heard about the altecs and heard nothing good or bad about them so far.

4. The boston system sounds good but they are hard to find, i got 3 gateway stores in my area but they dont sell speakers for some reason! I have 300 dollars in gift certifecates from gateway that i won and i do not know what to use them for...

Ok please help me decide, i am listing to these tiny altec lansing right now and they sound awful:

These are the points im looking for:

Good bass, Build Quality (ie. How long it lasts), How loud it goes, price.

Thanks.

I am going to best buy this sat so i need answers quick.

I've heard the Altec 641, the Logitech z560, the Klipsch 4.1, and the Boston BA7800...

You want the Bostons....

Do a seach at the 3dsoundsurge.com forums for some reviews of the Bostons, lol!!

------------------

"Feh."

I've owned and listened to the Boston 4.1 (sitting in my closet) and the Promedia 5.1's. I prefer the

Promedia's over the Boston's. Richer, fuller sound and the bass for my ears is much better. However, the

cost is substantially higher on the Klipsch product and does not meet your budget constraints.

I have not listened to the Klipsch 4.1 system.

Many of the people here are raving about the Logitech's cost verus performance. Both Klipsch and

Logitech are available at Best Buy. Not sure about the Boston's product availability there as they came

with my Gateway PC. However I am sure they are available online.

My suggestion would be due to Best Buy's lucrative return policy, try Klipsch, Logitech and whatever you

want. Put them on a credit card, set them up IN YOUR HOME and do a comparison of your final two choices. Listen for a week or two and then return the system that you don't want and get the credit back before the billing cycle is completed.

Personally, unless I am able to hear speakers in my home in a side by side testing environment, a decision is difficult. This is contingent upon not being blown away by the differences between my choices

in the store. However, I am not convinced that Best Buy is the place to truly reach such a decision.

Always trust YOUR ears. No one else's.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Cheers..............

quote:

Originally posted by Mozvz:

Always trust YOUR ears. No one else's.

Yes, this is a must.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

quote:

Originally posted by Gluegun:

You do realize that there are a good amount of very crappy 4.1 boston multimedia systems, and the BA7800, available only from Gateway, is better than them all?

you do realize that what sounds great to you might sound bad to me? just like some ppl think klipsch is too bright.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

Do i really need the tweeters in the Promedia? I already have trouble with the tweeters being too bright with my RF-3IIs

Which sub is better on loud levels, ex. bass tests.

I have narrowed out the bostons because of the bad return policy at gateway.

At the best buy here they sell the klipsch, logitechs and the altecs.

I seen the altecs and the sub is huge.

Which would work as a footrest also because im putting the sub under my desk on a corner to maximize sub sound. and sometimes i put my feet on the sub. Smile.gif

Thanks....is the Santa Cruz sound card advailble at best buy or circuit city...i have chose the santa cruz for the 6 channel speaker capability when i upgrade again but the fortississmo has good software included like the 4 channel Windvd

This message has been edited by iDoNtKnOe2k1 on 05-10-2002 at 06:38 PM