B&K victim of The Great Recession

jheis

Bad news for all us B&K fans. In mid September B&K Components closed their doors and went into bank receivership.

The good news is that as of October 18, 2010, all of B&K's assets have been acquired from their receiver by ATI (owner of AudioAccess, Theta Digital, BGW Systems, & maker of a number of OEM brands - including Outlaw, I believe) and production is being moved from NY to CA.

http://www.bkcomp.com/

James

Jheis,

What a shame. Mass production companies and slow to get the newest "must haves" to market were just a couple of the reason for B&K's demise.

I hope ATI will(as they claim) still produce the B&K line(and not cheapen the brand or rebadge them) and handle warranty/repair issues properly. I love my B&K amps and wouldn't mind getting a used Ref 70 processor if I could find one that fits my budget. How do you like your Ref. 50?

Bill

Bill:

Yeah, I think they just didn't have the resources to properly bring the Ref 70 to market with the constantly changing HDMI standards. Getting HDMI components to "talk" to each other has tripped up a lot of people - especially the installers who have to try to make it all work.

I love my Ref 50. Of course, I use it mostly for music. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more musical pre/pro.

I started out with a ST-140 amp that I bought on a whim, when a guy who was trying to sell me a pair of KG2s brought it along with him. Ended up with the Ref 50 pre/pro, a PT-5 preamp, 2 PT-3 preamps, and 5 of their amps. Great bullet proof equipment at very reasonable prices.

Really sad to see them fold....

James

It is a shame to see BK going under, they do make good products and are USA made.That said, they kinda set themselves up by not being tuned into the market and adjusting as needed.There are items that compare very well with BK for 1/3 the price.I've owned the ref50s2, 125 amp, older BK stuff, all good with no complaints.I currently own what I consider to be as good(I do care about sound) for 1/3 to 1/4 the cost.I still hate to see em' go.