RF-7II vs RF-7 with DeanG mod

felitopaz

Yep. The RF-7 Classic was available only on-line and stores wouldn't have carryed them along with the RF-83s as not to compete.

While I never saw the RF-7 classic in stores myself, I have heard it mentioned a few times where members of the forum had seen them on display in a store. I do believe Klipsch did advertise them as only available from Klipsch online but my guess is a few dealers got their hands on some.

Okay, I'm getting an insane amount of email on this topic, and since Trey opened the door a little, I feel more comfortable saying a few things about it.

I have not heard the RF-7ii, so I have no idea how to rate it in comparison to the original. Now, even if I had heard a pair, or had an opportunity to compare them head on -- it would simply be one person's subjective opinion. Hearing curves and source material invariably creates a situation where some simply prefer one thing over another. So, if I were to say that 'X' is superior to 'Y', it really wouldn't mean a thing!

Trey mentioned the ringing from the cones at around 3kHz of the original model and says this problem has been rectified in the new model. So, +1. I have seen pictures of the crossover, and it appears that Klipsch has employed steeper slopes, which would reduce comb filtering and distortion. +2. I had assumed that Klipsch was using the same compression driver in the new model as the original, but Trey clearly infers that it is not, and that it allowed for the lowering of the crossover point. I had been telling people in email that the steeper slopes of the crossover allowed for this, but it appears now that I may have spoken out of turn. Truth is, the additional parts on the crossover I saw may just be notch filters, and if this is true, then the slopes may in fact not be any steeper than the originals.

Trey and about a dozen others heard a modded pair of RF-7s down at Daddy Dee's place in Arkansas in what seems like an eternity ago. At the time, Trey asked me how I got rid of the ringing. I said, "what ringing"? All I knew was that the modded pair sounded better (so did everyone else), but I had no measurements to explain it. Trey asked me to bring a modded crossover to Indy during the next Pilgramage so he could measure it, which I did. What we discovered was that the resistor mod dropped output at around 3kHz by 1.5dB. Now, for you new folks, this mod was actually developed by a fellow named Leo, who no longer frequents the forum. He talked me into trying it, along with putting in better capacitors, and I really liked the result. At any rate, what we deduced was that the slight drop in output at 3kHz reduced the ringing to the point that it was no longer noticeable. I consider a modded pair of 7s to be some of the best sounding speakers I've ever heard. I'm pleased that Klipsch has brought it back in an improved form -- sure wish I could afford a pair! :)

"""...I admit if you said you heard them both and the original was better I wouldn't have pursued this topic."""

Kind of what I thought.

Look I get it you love your speakers and probably was
already sick of hearing people saying that the rf-83s were better when they
came out, and now you have to hear about how the new rf-7ii are better all over
again. And in 5 to 10 years another speaker is going to come out that people
are going to say are better than all of them. I’m not the first person you have
tried to discredit about things you don’t want to agree with or just don’t agree
with (just head over to the rf-7ii forum and see for yourself if anyone is interested).

There was a 100 different ways you could have responded to
my post instead of trying to discredit me. But you chose the former.

If they were only available online then why did they have them? The rf-7 is super popular. If store orders them they have them. Look at magnolia best buy for example.

Is there a reason you don’t believe me? Maybe you would have if I said the old rf-7 sounded better? Wink

...I admit if you said you heard them both and the original was better I wouldn't have pursued this topic.

EDIT: Added quote and response

Kind of what I thought.

Look I get it you love your speakers and probably was
already sick of hearing people saying that the rf-83s were better when they
came out, and now you have to hear about how the new rf-7ii are better all over
again. And in 5 to 10 years another speaker is going to come out that people
are going to say are better than all of them. I’m not the first person you have
tried to discredit about things you don’t want to agree with or just don’t agree
with (just head over to the rf-7ii forum and see for yourself if anyone is interested).

There was a 100 different ways you could have responded to
my post instead of trying to discredit me. But you chose the former.

...Also I knew two sales men that worked there that both had the rf-7 maybe they had input in what they had in the show room. I think You presume too much without looking at all the possibilities.

Btw, this is the only wild-card if you are insinuating they brought in one of their pairs and then I would definitely question the motivation of the salesman to set up an accurate comparison because they wouldn't have the older version to sell and would capitalize on the popularity of the original...I have seen first hand unscrupulous practices in ULTE (e.g., wire-demonstrations and A.B tests w/o level-matching and boosting gain, etc)

Not sure how you got that from what I said. All I meant was
2 people that worked there owned and loved the rf-7. So is it that crazy to
think they might have carried them knowing that? Not all the speakers that they
sell are just placed there by klipsch like I think you might think. They placed
orders all the time for stuff they wanted in there store. (By the way this is a
FACT not just my opinion)

I have not had the pleasure to hear the RF-7II with that said I do have 2 pairs of RF-7"s

One with DeanG's Mod the other still original. I did a side by side comparision when I had the Upgrade done and it is worth every penny spent on the crossover upgrade.