RF-7II vs RF-7 with DeanG mod

felitopaz

As i have seen the RF-7 DeanG mod was to correct the imbalance between the woofers and the tweeter to soften or reduce potential harshness, the RF83's were the replacement design with a correctly built crossover so they would not require the Dean mod.

The RF-7 II is a restructured design being very similar to the original only having improved material and the improved crossover, so to my opinion they will have the very same qualitys nearly with perhaps the RF II's having the slight edge on looks and quality of parts but it would come down to taste and what you like.

If you done a little search you could have discovered this yourself.

The only thing the same is the name rf-7 other than that everything else is different. Box size all the drivers are different same size but different the crossover is different the port placement is different. When you see the 2 speakers side by side they only resemble each other from the 2 10s and a horn look. The rf-7ii is a totally different speaker. The new ones are 4” taller and a half inch deeper I heard them side by side and when you a b them it’s a totally different sound imo.

• 3 weeks later...

Which one did you like better?

My personal opinion is the rf-7ii is a better sounding speaker I think most people that have heard both have said the same thing. The review I read said they have better midrange and most if not all of the small amount of harshness in the old 7s is gone.

I think I would be very happy with either but I liked the look and sound of the new ones.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

As i have seen the RF-7 DeanG mod was to correct the imbalance between the woofers and the tweeter to soften or reduce potential harshness, the RF83's were the replacement design with a correctly built crossover so they would not require the Dean mod.

The RF-7 II is a restructured design being very similar to the original only having improved material and the improved crossover, so to my opinion they will have the very same qualitys nearly with perhaps the RF II's having the slight edge on looks and quality of parts but it would come down to taste and what you like.

If you done a little search you could have discovered this yourself.

I own both and if the 83 is a corrected 7 it don't say much for correction as the 83 can never sound as good as the original 7, IMO.

Well I'm not a regular visitor to the forums, and didn't know about the Dean mods until last month. I've owned mine since 2005, and have never given any serious thought to upgrade them, the sound is nirvana, especially since I started driving them with the Emotiva XPA-5. This hobby being what it is, I'm always curious about upgrades, and the only two things I could do to upgrade my speakers is either the Dean mods, or the new RF-7II's. So, I'd love to know which is better. The Dean mods are certainly more economical, and easier.

I'm always skeptical about mods like his, but seems to me that virtually everyone who has heard the difference love it.

Curious to know if you have actually listened to a RF7 ll or not? The RF7 ll does have a number of physical differences when compared to the RF7. To me one of the most important diference is the much lower crossover pointwhich (of the RF7 ll) starts to bring it closer to say a CF 3 , not as low as a CF 3 but getting there. I think you should decide which version of the RF7 you like better. If that choice happens to be the RF7 ll then the question is do you like it enough to sell the old and buy the new. If so you can decide if you want to upgrade the crossoveers on the RF7 ll. Dean uses very good parts and I am sure he can improve whatever network you have. Maybe you can talk to Dean about building an RF7 ll style crossover for the RF7 that might be the best of both worlds. Best regards Moray James.

I haven't had a chance to hear the RF-7II's yet. Even if I did, it would be hard to compare what I hear in the store to my system, what with different amps and room sizes. I've emailed DeanG to see what he thinks.

Keep us updated and report back what Deang thinks. {EDIT: If I were a betting man I would guess: RF-7 w/mod...RF-7 w/o mod.....RF-7ii, in that order}.

What great timing for a thread revival! I have a few pair of stock RF-7's. I also have 83's, 82's, 62's and others. This weekend I picked up a pair of RF-7II's. So far I am very happy with the new addition. I was afraid that the new 7II's would sound more like the 83's, which I can assure you they do not. I don't want to comment too much on my first impressions as my listening room is currently ripped apart, and I don't feel I'm able to give an accurate review yet.

I recently started a thread asking if anyone near NYC with modded RF-7's would like to invite me over for a listen... but I got no replies[:(] I would still love to hear them. I was able to do a direct A/B comparison with the 7 and 7II's. The new 7II's still have the detail and livliness (I don't think that's a word, but you get it) and what some have described as harsh, seems to be a little smoother. When I get to move them around I'll be able to tell you a little more.

I can tell you that there is not a big difference in sound between the new and old. I can tell you that there is a big difference in appearance. I didn't like the partial grills in pictures, but in my home they look nice. They are much better than the original RF-7 grills. I also love that all of the plastic is gone from the front of the speakers. The modern cones look nice too. The cheap plastic feet are gone. To me they look a lot more high end now.

There are some great deals to be had on the new RF-7II's if you hunt for them. Local is always the key on these big Klipsch. In fact I got such a good deal, they were probably only a few hundred more than the old 7's are going for. Which once you upgrade the crossovers, they would be pretty close. That's just my 2 cents. Eveyone likes something different though. If anyone is in the area and would like to have a listen just let me know.. It'll only cost you a six pack of beer

The one's on Agon? I saw those when they first came up, but they were too far away for me. I wouldn't want to ship, and I'm far from desperate for more speakers. That posting was a little fishy for me... something just didn't seem right. BTW... what's up with the new Audiogon?? Maybe I just have to get used to it... but I hate the way it's laid out now.

I'm not sure but I don't think I like the new Agon, we'll see how it ends up.The 7's I found were semi local, asking $1400 but said $1100 would buy em', I need more speakers like a hole in the head but still thought about it, the covers halted me.It looks like Klipsch tried to cram all the drivers together so they could use the small grill.At any rate he had a buyer lined up if I passed, I have no idea of selling price.

Sounds like you could try an RF7 ll style crossover in an FR7, the lower crossover point would be a big bonus. You could always switch back if you don't like the change. If the horns are the same size there is likely no reason not to drop the xover point. It's a fraction of the cost ofselling and buying. Works for me but this is your call. Perhaps you could find anRF7 ll owner who would be willing to let you try his xovers in your RF7 first? Best regards Moray James.