Cornwall III and Woo Audio WA5

spagetka

I've never heard the WA5, but can tell you from many years of experience that the combination of the Cornwalls with SET amps is absolutely wonderful. Over the years I've designed and built many SET amps for folks to use with Cornwalls, K-horns, etc, and the synergy has been truly amazing. If you can accept the fact that the bass end with any SET amp is going to be a bit softer and less punchy than with pentode designs you are likely to be totally satisfied. In my opinion, the incredible midrange and top end offered by SET amps is without equal.

As far as I can tell these are dedicated headphone amps so they would probably fair very poorly with Cornwalls or any other speaker. Also note that they are at least doubling their money with the cap upgrade.

I think you need to tell us if you own Cornwalls right now and what you would like to do with them. Do you want tubes? Do you listen to rock? Do you listen to jazz. do you listen loud? How big is your room, how close are your neighbors etc.

I think you need to tell us if you own Cornwalls right now and what you would like to do with them. Do you want tubes? Do you listen to rock? Do you listen to jazz. do you listen loud? How big is your room, how close are your neighbors etc.

+1!!!!!

I suspect there are better deals to be found on comparable amps........

Good Luck on the Hunt!

Thank you for your reply.

Well, my WA5 is fully upgraded (caps,res,sockets). Price difference between WA5 (ha with K1K out and speaker out) and WA5-LE (ha) is $650 so I decided to go with WA5.

I plan to upgrade stock tubes with EAT 300B,EML 5U4G and some 6SN7 Tung-Sol/Sylvania/...

I have not owned very good loudspeakers yet, because I prefer headphone listening. Well, things little changed when I listened about year ago WADIA+JBL and these beasts drew absolutely fantastic holographic picture ;-).

People say that low power 300B amps like high efficiency horn speakers. So that's the reason why I am hunting here ;-)

• Room ~ 4x8x3.5 meters
  • I do not want to play loud - only from time to time you know ;)
  • 70% jazz, 30% rock/classical

Thank you very much in advance.

Best, Marian.

PS: review with nice pictures -> http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/wooaudio/5.html

So I am guessing that you don't have Cornwalls yet. Why not buy a used set for 500 to 700, its a drop in the bucket considering your amp. If you like the combination, either keep em or order a new pair. Either way you could sell the old set and only be out a $100 or so dollars and have had the opportunity to listen to the combination in your own home for as long as it took for you to make up your mind.

Hi there and welcome to the forum. Klipsch heritage is efficient for sure. Yet... We like them, but it's not everybody's favourite. Please look into the possibility of listening to them at your home for a period of time. Cornwalls are great, but La Scala's or Khorns are, well. Maybe do a search in the archives, if I remember correctly, some posts here are written about the latter two. [;)]

• 2 weeks later...