Low quality speaker wires on 4.1's?

I've had my set of 4.1's for a few months now and I've noticed that often when ajusting the volume they will make a crackling noise. My girlfriend, who has spent a good deal of time working with stage equipment, told me that this is normally a sign of poor quality wiring.

I've also noticed that certain speakers seem to cut in and out, sometimes starting or stopping when their wire gets touched. This also seems to point to poor quality wiring.

I'm wondering if the wiring might also be contributing to the phenomenon that I and other owners of this set have observed where the music sounds terrific at low levels but gets distorted at moderately high levels despite the fact that these seem to be good quality components.

I'm thinking of running to radio shack for some nice thick wire and a set of plugs to make my own wiring kit. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks

-Justin

Although 300$ for desktop speaker is quite alot, one might quess they are manufactured with highest quality components, well thats not true and what you are experiencing just shows that.

I think klipsch manufactures in china and to cut costs standard to low quality componets are used (some home audio systems use gold wires in their amps ,but they aren't present here), I guess thats why some high quality expensive dont deliver the 400watts because they cost so much.

My guess if they use good components it would cut their profit by 50$ or they would have to raise the price.

This might also be a reason why they didnt make a dual switch in their amp (110-220) to cut the cost of some wiring which is well justfaiable. smile.gif

So the Conclusion is that if you can change any part by a better one (wire) go ahead , it might as well differ! wink.gif

fawwaz:

I wonder about you fawwaz, no Klipsch does not manufacture in CHINA!! They have a plant in arizona, and that's where the media's are made. Headquarters in Indianapolis, indiana. And if you look at it, klipsch has a majority of dealers in the US. Atleast 80% of their speakers goto the US through authorized dealers so what is the need to add the extra expense of a dual voltage amplifier? Which would drive up the cost for those that don't use it. Also what negative effects do you think this converter might have on performance? maybe add some more heat into there so you'd probably be looking at a little less power, sub might reach heat cutoff quicker... etc.. think about all the variables before you go dissing a product.

Justin:

Not dissing on you fawwaz, yes they might have been able to use better cables, but these are computer speakers and the noise he noticed while adjusting the volume in his speakers is most likely the preamp. You might try upgrading to the new preamp, or you could try rotating the knob on the preamp for volume back and forth for about 5 minutes at a high rate of speed (keep in mind your speakers should be off).. Also how have you had your 4.1's for several months? They've been out for about a month at the most so.... most likely the 400's. Let us know,

"You've been great, I'm out"- george costanza

• Moderators

Actually, the ProMedias are made in China. Our plant in Arkansas manufactures all our other speaker products.

Justin,

It sounds like you do need a replacement preamp for your v2-400s (the 4.1s have only been shipping for 1 1/2 weeks). Contact me about this.

I'd like to see Klipsch make upgraded speaker wire available on our website and for future releases of the products. As I posted once before, please send me an email if you would like to see this too, so I can put a list together for a convincing argument. smile.gif

------------------

Amy

ProMedia Tech Support

promediatech@klipsch.com

888-554-5665

Well, Thank you Amy I cant imagine anyone better than you to say this.

As for Shiplemw1 I suggest you think first,almost all high tech computer chips are made in China and Taiwan further

quote:"

converter might have on performance? maybe add some more heat into there so you'd probably be looking at a little less power,"

Well this is plain @##@ because if you are not using the transformer it wont generate heat , there is a switch remeber.

quote:

Originally posted by fawwaz:

Well, Thank you Amy I cant imagine anyone better than you to say this.

As for Shiplemw1 I suggest you think first,almost all high tech computer chips are made in China and Taiwan further

quote:"

converter might have on performance? maybe add some more heat into there so you'd probably be looking at a little less power,"

Well this is plain @##@ because if you are not using the transformer it wont generate heat , there is a switch remeber.

I see that you're an engineer also; just wanted to say that you're right about your two statements here.

I think everyone forgets why things are manufactured in Asia. It's not cheap products, it's simply cheaper labour cost's. All of the components are still designed and hand picked by Klipsch (I hope!) and are simply assembled by an Asian workforce. Probably cutting the cost in half.

Also, the speaker wire is a "minimum" quality, being the lowest grade possible for the set to work properly. Anything you uprgade to is just a bonus and will always improve performance. Klipsch isn't short changing us with a bad wire setup, just providing the minimum standard for proper usage. Thats all we can ask for at this price level.

But Amy is right, an optional upgrade would be SWEET! Maybe a kit, with all the components you need to upgrade the pro's, plugs, wires, everything. How bout it Amy, is there anything we the consumer can do other than e-mail, letters... bomb threats! lol (just kidding)

------------------

Movies take us to a place we would like to be and away from a place we would like to forget.