KEF C80 Speakers with H/K 630?

delfam

Hi delfam,

Welcome to the Klipsch forum. You asked for 'thoughts', so here's some of mine.

Klipsch is all about sound and music. There's a few different lines of Klipsch but their speakers are all horn loaded - totally different characteristics from dome tweeters. The Klipsch Heritage line has a lineup of 3 way speakers. These include the famous Klipschorns, LaScalas, Cornwalls and Heresys. Every now and then, some of these turn up for sale as people upgrade their systems. There's a garage sale forum here - you could even run a wanted listing and maybe something would turn up in your area.

The HK twin powered receivers are a favourite match around here for Klipsch speakers, so you've got a keeper there

Although I run and prefer Klipsch for my two channel and home channel rigs, I do have some experience with KEF and way-way back in time, I had Advents. Old speakers no matter what brand can have inherent problems due to age as well as use or abuse. Old Advents were notorious for foam surround rot as well as easy to blow tweeters.

The KEF C80 has an classic oval shaped woofer - the B139 but the ferrofluid in the tweeters could have dried out over time. Careful auditioning with your HK might be an idea prior to pulling the trigger. $200 sounds a little steep. That money would buy half a pair of used Klipsch Heresy speakers from the Heritage line. Used Heresys can be found for $350-$450 depending on cabinet finish, age and etc. (caveat - even buying used Klipsch requires care)

So IMHO - remembering it's all about sound and music - hold out for some Klipsch. With that HK, you'll have a rig that you could enjoy for life.

Slainte.

Hamish

I've been reading older posts and saw Klipsch really match well with my H/K, It's just that their a little out of my price range and haven't seen any pop up locally cause I don't want to have a huge shipping cost. I definitely see if I can get the KEF's for a little lower of a price, but the owner is really respectable(audiokarma member) and said their in mint condition, so does that make the $200 more reasonable, your should I go for around $170?

How much is the person asking for the large Advents? They are truly amazing speakers which can produce useful bass down to 30 Hz and can image magnificently. As mentioned above, you need to be careful about the woofer foam surround condition, but if the price is right, there are people who can do a professional refoaming for you at a reasonable cost. But, their age doesn't necessarily mean that the foam is bad. Two months ago my wife found a pair at a garage sale (hanging out with me for a lifetime has rubbed off!)- the foam surrounds are original and look as if they were just installed. Much depends on where the speakers were used; i.e. how much heat and moisture they were exposed to, among other things. I currently have them installed in a 25X15 room, feed them with only 12 watts/channel, and they throw a positively huge and deep soundstage with bass ouput which rivals that of a small subwoofer. I last heard them in the mid seventies and forgot how terrific they are. So, please don't rule those out either......................