Anyone using an SVS PB-13 with Khorns for 2 channel?

Mike Lindsey

I am in the process of a living room makeover, and I am going to upgrade some HT gear at the same time (new TV, pre-pro, blu-ray, subwoofer) and was wondering if anyone is using a SVS PB-13 with their Khorns for 2-channel use. If so, can you tell me your thoughts? The new ones now come with a 1000w Sledgehammer amp (used to come with a 650w Bash amp) which I think would be sufficient enough, but would it be able to keep up with the Khorns when pumping some volume (100 db or so)?

Another question I have is how would I hook the sub up to my analog system? Right now I share the Khorns between the 2-channel (VRD's) and HT (Acurus) amps by using a Dr Who speaker switch box. When looking at the PB-13 it doesn't appear that it has speaker wire inputs/outputs. I am assuming this would be necessary when using an analog preamp that has no subwoofer out connection.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike

When looking at the PB-13 it doesn't appear that it has speaker wire inputs/outputs.

Just heard back from SVS and they confirmed this. Only line-level inputs. Is there any way to use a line level input on the sub from an analog 2-ch system?

Mike

I have SVS PB-12 Ultra/2 subs and have been unable to make them work with my khorns in 2 channel. My preamp has 2 sets of pre-outs, I use one set to my amps and the other set to the subs but no success. I will admit I dont have alot of experience in this area. What really interest me about your first post is your Dr Who speaking switching box. I have been hunting for just that for 2 years with no success. I have to switch speaker cables back and fourth and Im affraid is is just going to wear out the rca jacks.

I'm working on ironing out the same issues but with an SVS CS-Ultra using a Behringer CX2310. Using an Adcom 555 bridged into the sub and Perreaux 1850 running the mains. I'll post here if I have any luck, also have a thread already started re the same issues, maybe watch there as I play with new Room EQ Wizard program I found last night, it looks interesting and very useful once I get things figured out.

Best of luck!

Is there any way to use a line level input on the sub from an analog 2-ch system?

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/150526-paradigm_x30_high_end_electronic_active_subwoofer_crossover_/

Mike,

I use one of these for my SVS PB-12 Ultra/2 in my two-channel analog system. It works GREAT. It's a must have vs. using the preouts alone or using the speaker wire connections. My experience is that you have to have some form of bass management when using a sub in a two-channel system or the sub will sound boomy because it's getting the full signal from the preamp. The X-30 (Mirage makes one as well) splits the signal so that only the proper (low) frequencies go to the sub.

I have a SVS 12/2 sub that I use only for HT because my Merlin has only one output-I share my Khorns with my 2 channel system and my home theater by using a Niles DPS-1 selector that allows 2 inputs to one set of speakers-you have to buy the pin type banana speaker cable ends to go in their tiny connectors-but it works fine

I share my Khorns with my 2 channel system and my home theater by using a Niles DPS-1 selector that allows 2 inputs to one set of speakers-you have to buy the pin type banana speaker cable ends to go in their tiny connectors-but it works fine

Yeah, that's why Dr Who built my box, as I wanted one that allowed banana plugs.

SWL, can you explain the exact connection scenario with the boxes you mention? I have just one main output as well on the BBX, which feeds the VRDs.

Thanks,

Mike

SWL, can you explain the exact connection scenario with the boxes you mention? I have just one main output as well on the BBX, which feeds the VRDs.

Sure, I did it with the Peach ll and the BBX that I previously owned as well.

It's very simple actually. You''ll run your interconnects out of your preamp into the X-30------->out of the X-30 into your amps for your speakers------>and out of the X-30's LFE output to the line level inputs of the SVS.

It might be more complicated to explain it than it is to actually hook it up. It's really easy....when you see the back of the unit you'll see that it's pretty self explanatory.

It's very simple actually. You''ll run your interconnects out of your preamp into the X-30------->out of the X-30 into your amps for your speakers------>and out of the X-30's LFE output to the line level inputs of the SVS.

OK, this makes sense to me. So when looking at the X-30 and the new PB-13, there are left and right channel connectors coming out of the X-30 and into the PB-13 line level inputs.

Let's throw a new wrinkle into the mix and say I wanted to share this sub with my HT system, which uses a pre-pro. I believe there is a single output channel for the .1 LFE channel. If I also wanted to run that into the same subwoofer line level inputs how would I accomplish that if I already have something plugged into them? I am guessing I would need some kind of splitter to do this, but in one scenario I have left and right coming in, and in the other I have just a single rca cable coming in.

Thanks,

Mike

Let's throw a new wrinkle into the mix and say I wanted to share this sub with my HT system, which uses a pre-pro. I believe there is a single output channel for the .1 LFE channel. If I also wanted to run that into the same subwoofer line level inputs how would I accomplish that if I already have something plugged into them? I am guessing I would need some kind of splitter to do this, but in one scenario I have left and right coming in, and in the other I have just a single rca cable coming in.

If you throw some splitters in there you can do a number of things. For example: I don't use the high pass connections at all.....only the LFE out. I split off from the main outs of the preamp one way to the amps------the other way through the X-30 to the sub. This way my speakers aren't filtered through the X-30 giving me more gain and more "air".

I'm having a brain fart right now but I would guess that between your Dr.Who switchbox, the X-30 and some splitters you should be able to configure it pretty much any way you want. One thing I can tell you for sure....using the X-30 exclusively for the sub in an analog two-channel setup it works awesome. However, for HT since your AVR already has an LFE out with bass management the X-30 obviously isn't neccessary but I understand what you're after.

One thing I can tell you for sure....using the X-30 exclusively for the sub in an analog two-channel setup it works awesome. However, for HT since your AVR already has an LFE out with bass management the X-30 obviously isn't neccessary but I understand what you're after.

I only need the X-30 for the 2-channel system, but unfortunately I need the sub for both. [:)]

The sub only has one line level input that has both left and right channels (it also has balanced inputs). I'm guessing the pre-pro I'm getting has just a single mono channel for sub-out. I'm thinking I could use the mono out of the X-30 for the 2-channel rig, and the mono out from the pre-pro for the HT, and feed those into a Y splitter that plugs into the subs mono input (either left or right channel) if it has one, which I'm guessing it does. Does that make sense, and would that be a possibility?

Mike

I'm guessing there may be an RCA sub out and an XLR sub out which should both be hot simultaneously.

OK, so I could use the pre-pro balanced (XLR) sub out to balanced input on the Sub for HT use, and that would free up the RCA line level inputs for the 2-ch rig. Carl, you are brilliant! [:)] Now I need to find one of those X-30's to provide some crossover control for the 2-ch system.

You must have found another place to put the sub other than where you are plannng?

I went with a smaller audio rack (75" wide), and will have 27" on each side between the rack and the Khorns. This would allow me to get a sub that is 24" wide if necessary.

Mike

Be sure to check the depth, the SVS's are pretty deep as I recall.

EDIT, is the PB-13 a sealed sub? If so, the depth should be OK, but you may need 2.