RF-52, RF-52 II and VF-35

Hurricane434

Hi all,

I am shopping for new speakers and I would like to get some that are modest in size so not to overpower the room (not sound necessarily, but cosmetic mostly). The priority would be stereo listening and I will first be getting front floorstanding speakers and a matching center speaker. Later on I'll get subwoofer and back speakers to have surround sound in order to enjoy movies.

I am considering the Klipsch RF-52's right now. I see that Klipsch now has come out with an RF-52 II. I really like the looks of it but not sure if there will be much of a difference in sound quality. Also, Best Buy carries the Icon series VF-35's and they sounded good, especially with the movies being played in the sound room but they are a bit larger than I would like. So my questions are:

1.) Since you can probably get a better deal on the RF-52's, is it worth considering the RF-52 II? Anyone know if there is much of a difference in quality? 2.) The VF-35 has a retail price a little more than the RF-52 II (link below to comparison of specs) so is the VF-35 that much better than the RF-52? Anyone think I should reconsider my preference for the smaller speaker to go with the VF-35 instead? http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/comparison/?ids=3313%3b3829%3b

Thanks,

Thanks for the reply. I will keep the RF-62 in mind, but I think the 52 should be good enough for my house. I'm sure that once I get it in there, it will be rocking...especially in comparison to what I have now, which is basically not much! Right? And do you think the RF-52 will provide enough lows to play stereo music well with no subwoofer?

I will need to go listen to them again I know...but just wanted some opinion. Probably will go with Reference over the Icon but just need to decide also whether the new models are that much better than the originals.

Thanks for the reply. I will keep the RF-62 in mind, but I think the 52 should be good enough for my house. I'm sure that once I get it in there, it will be rocking...especially in comparison to what I have now, which is basically not much! Right? And do you think the RF-52 will provide enough lows to play stereo music well with no subwoofer?

I think that te size of your room is going to decide on the sub or not. Also, the kind lows you are looking for. IMO the Rf-52's are not going to give you alot of lows that most are looking for when listening to movies and or music without a seperate sub. I would suggest that you look on CL or similar, for a used sub, there are a ton of good ones out there. I would suspect that if you find a nice 10-12" sub that it will compliment your system nicely.

Good Luck

~ross

I believe I was convinced by a co-worker today to "just go ahead and get the newer ones like you really want probably."

If I were you, I would get the best(largest) you can afford of the Reference IV's(RF-52, RF-62, RF-82, etc.) over the lesser(smaller) of the new models.

As far as 2-channel listening without a sub, the RF-52's will do a fine job and most likely better than a larger bookshelf speaker(RB-61, RB-81).

http://hometheaterreview.com/klipsch-rf-52-floorstanding-loudspeakers-reviewed/

Bill

Well, I went to my local audio shop and made a deal on a pair of Klipsch RF-52 II. Got them for $550 for the pair which seemed pretty good to me. They didn't have them in the store but have a shipment coming so they are supposed to call me when they arrive. Didn't have the center speaker RC-52 II and were not even shipping yet since they still had several of the old model. I could order them but they would charge shipping. They said they would see what they can do for me, so I'm waiting a little while to give them a shot for the business. If not I can always order one online since I know what I want.

I'll post pics when I have everything setup. Hopefully will get the towers next week.