I'm not into bi-wiring, but....

andyo5

...I did some reading recently about the methods of bi-wiring and the theory about why it appears to improve the performance of the various speaker elements. Based on what I had read, it appeared to me that if you were going to connect a single set of wires to a speaker that has bi-wiring capability; it would be better to connect to the mid/high frequency posts and let the bass posts get signal through the connecting straps (I have Heresy IIIs). I had mine connected opposite to this, with the speaker wire connected to the low frequency posts. So this morning I changed them to the other posts.

The speakers really do seem to sound better. The bass response actually seems fuller and the high frequencies seem smoother and less strident.

Of course, I am also wondering whether this is my just my imagination; since I was sort of expecting to hear an improvement.

So what do you think? Has anybody else tried both methods and compared the results?

Thanks

If you had your speaker wires connected for a long time without being removed and re-installed you may have had some slight oxidation between the wires and posts which is the likely cause of the difference you describe. Electrically, it makes no difference which set of posts you use as the resistance of the straps is insignificant. It's a good idea to disconnect/reconnect all of your speaker leads, interconnects, etc. twice yearly; and it can be very helpful to treat the contact areas with a light film of deoxit which will allow an even better electrical connection.

It would not be hard to do an A-B comparison.

(Wire each speaker different; one on top posts; one on bottom)......

It could be just your mind playing tricks; it could be there is some merit in it.

If that is the reccomended way to wire them (top posts); there is probably a reason.

Anyway; I would be interested to hear your thoughts on an A-B comparison.....

Based on what I had read, it appeared to me that if you were going to connect a single set of wires to a speaker that has bi-wiring capability; it would be better to connect to the mid/high frequency posts and let the bass posts get signal through the connecting straps (I have Heresy IIIs).

See the following...controversial for some--but worth the read if you seriously want to save your shekels for the things that will make a real difference in the sound that you're listening to...

[:o]

I have never been a fan of Peter Aczel, despite my agreeing with him on many of his points. His arrogance and his attitude of disrespect regarding other equipment reviewers just turn me off.

But look again at his point #7: biwiring. His description of biwiring involves running two pair of cables to the same set of binding posts. This is not what biwiring does.

His description of biwiring involves running two pair of cables to the same set of binding posts. This is not what biwiring does.

Are you referring to "bi-amplification"? Like the guard at the gate said--"...well...that's a horse of a different color..."

[;)]

This is called the telephone pole effect. Basically, it's an improvement resulting from the added elevation which resulted from moving your connection point from the woofers, to the mid/tweets. The telephone pole effect kicks in with as little as 1 inch added elevation. The phenomina is repeatable and predictable. You can buy, professional miniture telephone poles which can be used to raise the entire run lenth of speaker wire an additional inch or two of additional elevation. This will maximixe the improvements associated with the telephone pole effect.

seriously, it's probally, as indicated, the result of removing and re-connecting the wires/terminals. you knocked off surface corrosion.

This is called the telephone pole effect. Basically, it's an improvement resulting from the added elevation which resulted from moving your connection point from the woofers, to the mid/tweets. The telephone pole effect kicks in with as little as 1 inch added elevation. The phenomina is repeatable and predictable. You can buy, professional miniture telephone poles which can be used to raise the entire run lenth of speaker wire an additional inch or two of additional elevation. This will maximixe the improvements associated with the telephone pole effect.

Ok.... Not being a smart arse..... But are you being serious here?

(I do not believe this is factual; plus for giggles; a search on the web for "telephone pole effect" yields nothing).....

Edit: Baited and Hooked.... Top Notch! [H]

Like HO model railroad telephone poles...