Klipsch RW-12D repair question

Mike West

I have a 3 year old RW-12D that I love, but it recently stopeed working. After replacing the fuse (it blew immediately) I examined the amp board and discovered a damaged component. It is adjacenet to J401 (the black wire from the power input connector) and is labeled R40. Can you give me the specs for this part?

How do you know that the resistor is damaged? Is it blackened/burned up, split, etc? If it did burn, it's because of excessive current running through it, which would suggest that there's something else going on with the amplifier. I recommend that you have it serviced by a competent technician in the interest of avoiding more costly repairs later on.

I now believe due to it position in the circuit that it may be a thermistor. This unit was working fine before I left on vacation. When I returned and plugged the unit back in, it blew the fuse. THe component is blackened on one side. A thermistor is a sacrificial device that is used to protect the circuit. Thermistors are widely used as inrush current limiters or self-resetting overcurrent protectors. When I disconnect the LFE connection just before unplugging the unit I got a loud ground hum for a second and believe that may have been when the unit was damaged. However: I am still looking for info for this device. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I might be able to obtain the specs for this?