Pioneer VSX-1020-K Vs Denon AVR-1911

Jaymacher

I am looking for an entry level AV receiver , I have pretty much cut down to the above two models. Fits the space i have and the budget as well.

Which of this would be a good buy ? Or Am i overlooking some other receiver which performs better than these two at the same price ?

I am looking at the same set up. Post what you end up deciding I would like to know how it turns out. I have seen that the denon 791 is exactly the same just with out hd radio and pre outs for zone 2. Which for me is ok and might save me more money. I am just looking for the best sound I can get with out spending more than $600 - $650 ish. I do have a friend with the denon 1911 and is running the wf - 35 home theater system so I am interested to hear out it sounds. He is finishing his theater room so hasn't got it set up yet. I will be sure to post it and let you know. The reviews on the denon I have seen have all been great. Bestcovery and cnet are both great places to check reviews. Good luck and keep us posted.

Either one is an excellent choice.

Pioneer 1019 or the Denon 1910...................numbers are confusing...........

Boils down, for me, weather you can get it local.............and price. Wait about two weeks and prices should decline even more.

Good Luck.

There was a discussion here on this topic and here is the link that was provided with overview of the receivers - LINK

It comes down to Denon being more expensive and having fewer older connections. As far as sound - both are very similar. As the link says - Amazon is a great place to buy with their low prices, liberal return policy and good customer service.

I run a previous Denon model - AVR-1910 with a pair of RF-7s, RC-7 and RSW-12 subwoofer (which is now for sale in garage sale section) and the sound is amazing. But I do like Pioneer a lot and used to have a THX receiver that sounded just splendid with RF-7s - very warm and pleasant sound.

As I have been reading different post about different things. ( I had surgery on my shoulder so all I do is set on the couch with my iPad and search. It is terrible.) and the more I read about receivers the more the question comes up. Would it be better to do a pre/pro and amp than an av receiver? I just bought the rf-82 II ht system. ( a result of hours surfing the Internet) the speakers show up tomorrow. So the more I search aroung and read it looks like the best set up would be having some amp to get more power to them. This topic is very confusing to me. ( It could be the meds ) Yura. With you rf - 7 did you think your speakers were lacking power at all? I know they are a lot bigger than what I have. so if it can push yours it should be able to push mine? Or is getting an amp a better way. Emotiva seems to be a commonly recommended amp.between $500 and $700 though. So now it is a discussion of price. Please thoughts and feelings? I know there are cheaper routs I just don't know them.

If money is no object, you have a discerning ear, space and desire to configure - pre/pro is the way to go. However for many setups it is either impractical or unjustified. My 90watt per channel Denon pushes RF-7s just fine for my taste. I've never maxed out on the volume or felt like i needed more power or cleaner output. Unless you have a trained ear and you adjust your space for sound (wall treatment, furniture,etc) I see very little reason to get more sophisticated than an AV receiver. Klipsch speakers are very efficient and don't need that much power to reeach desired volume levels. In fact, i was running a vitnage 35w amp with my RB-3s and it was plenty. I also used to have RF-62s, which were my first floor standing setup and they were also paired with Denon 1910 and sounded just fine. Changing to RF-7s changed the frequency output more than anything - i get a lot more base with them and can go without a subwoofer (for most material).

I would opt for a good AV receiver and spend the rest on bigger TV [8-|]

Ok well I told you I would keep you updated on what i ended up doing I just bought the onkyo tx-nr808. I know that seems like a quick decision because on my last post I was not sure at all but since I am stuck my couch after just having surgery on my shoulder I can't do much other than search the net and research different products. After a few phone calls to vanns and reading alot of forums I decided on the onkyo. Right now they have it on amazon for $670. Which believe is a great price. At 135w per channel it has a lot more power than the denon. I believe it is alitte more money but at $670 no by much. Maybe that helps. I don't know.

Good luck

Good choice...Onkyo do give the best bang for the buck and this model will have plenty of power. Amazon is great, isn't it? I keep on buying from them because they give the best price (just bought some software and storage for my computer from them).

I have been considering a new Receiver or possibly going to components. Check the bench tests on any receiver you buy. I have noticed that several upper model brands fall way short of their advertised wattage when running 5 channels or more.

• Moderators

Check the bench tests on any receiver you buy. I have noticed that several upper model brands fall way short of their advertised wattage when running 5 channels or more.

Very true. I found that out myself.

Claims 140 watts x 7

Benchmark Test showed:
140 x 3
110 x 5 ( if I remember correctly....it was between 100 and 120 watts x 5)
and a WHOPPING 55 watts x 7.

Far from the manual and their website that says 140 watts x 7 and ALL CHANNELS DRIVEN.

The only way to get that solid power is with a dedicated amp.

Yep. I have a 10 or 12 year old Denon AVR 3600 that is rated for 90 watts X 5channels. I have been looking for a bench test on it to see how well the Decade + Denon receivers compare to the new stock. Heck I may be just getting 25 or 30 watts to all 5.

Yeah... The TX-NR808 at the current pices is just too good to pass up... But... It start another downward spiral. My RB-25's are now being religated to the bedroom (along with the old TX-SR805) being replaced with aa new pair of RB-81's. And that requied a new remote. So, now the Harmony 880 got moved to the bedroom to be replaced with a Harmony One... Let's see... That now has taken care of my birthday, Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzee and any other holiday in which gifts are given! [:$] IMHO the Onk is a great match to the reference series. I'm really enjoying my new toys! [H]