using my La Scala for school holiday party

twu

I'm volunteering my La Scala to provide music at my kid's school holiday party. This should be interesting. I'm curious how they'll sound in this hall.

My plan is to keep it simple, use my H/K 430 to drive them with an iPod/iPhone. Would that ok? Do I need a sub? We'll be playing mostly holiday/Christmas music. Any other suggestions/comments is appreciated.

post-39935-13819619953084_thumb.jpg

post-39935-13819623232238_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

A loooong time ago, I used to do DJ gigs using my La Scala and a 120WPC amplifier with proper volt meters on it. We'd run the La Scala to the red light but would fill similar halls with ease. These kids haven't been to night clubs and won't miss the low bass. Have fun!

The guy who turned me on to Klipsch had a La Scala at the VW dealership we worked at, during certain times of the year or after a hard day we would have a drink and play that LS and just let her rip! She would fill the whole service shop and parts depot (it was a big building) and that one LS would fill the house with great horn loaded sounds. The Service manager would come out and say "could you two turn it down a little bit[:@]".....it was awesome!

I should have brought and played them at my wedding instead of the DJs crappy jbls[:(]

I'm Jealous! I would love to take my La Scalas into a Hall/Auditorium and let'em Rip! [:P]

You'll be fine with the HK and the La Scalas, no sub necessary.

Is this your first time using them in this big of a room? If so, let us know how it sounded!

Dennie

I was going to say that you have to be realistic in expectations.

In high school days I had Heathkit speaker set like an AR-2 and a 10 watt amp. It was good in my bed room, but when moved to the big highschool cafeteria these really ran out of steam. I used a similar rig in college and we took it outdoors. Again, not so good. The lesson is that what works in a small room is a far cry from a big room.

The LS, though is well used big rooms and PA type systems. I suspect you'll be using all the watts from the HK you have available, and it will sound very good..

As far as bass. Maybe the recorded songs are not demanding. But TranSiberian Expess? The LS might fall short. Further, a sub designed for a living room should add a lot but it will be short of heart pounding.

OTOH, you're doing a wonderful thing for the season. Good work, man. You are a Santa.

WMcD

Thanks for all the input! I've been waiting for an opportunity to give the La Scalas some breathing space as they've been cooped up in my smallish listening room since I first got them so this is to satisfy my own curiosity as it is for the kids. Plus I'll be introducing Klipsch Heritage to whole new generation of listeners. [:D] They'll think back and recall the first time they ever heard La Scalas. I think I'll skip out on the sub, I only have an 8 inch sub at home and won't do much in the hall. As far as music is concerned,we have a very diverse school so the kids come from all types of backgrounds and religion. If anyone has suggestion on what holiday/Christmas music that might be agreeable to a wide group, let me know. Right now, we're thinking holiday jazz type of music, something like Charlie Brown. The party is a week from today so I'll post photos and let you guys know how it goes.

• Like 1

The AES article anouncing the LaScala indicates acceptable response down to 60hz. I agree with that. While the LaScala's can reproduce bass below 60hz, they are generating a lot of heat to do so. The power rating below 40hz is very low. If your music portfolio is heavy on thump music, you will need a subwoofers. The la scala bass bins are not very good heart grabbing thump speakers. One version of the LaScala pros went so far as to indicate 25 watts continuous below 40hz right on their speaker connection plates. Check your fuse sizes.

As far as music is concerned,we have a very diverse school so the kids come from all types of backgrounds and religion. If anyone has suggestion on what holiday/Christmas music that might be agreeable to a wide group, let me know. Right now, we're thinking holiday jazz type of music, something like Charlie Brown. The party is a week from today so I'll post photos and let you guys know how it goes.

Barenaked Ladies "Barenaked For The Holidays" (BNL'd versions of Jewish and Christian standards)

Squirrel Nut Zippers "Christmas Caravan"

I've schlepped mine out & about for outdoor parties as well as wedding receptions and frat parties (when I was in college).

I think they'll be just fine for you in there. I do not however, think your 8" sub will be fine so you are going to save yourself some effort by simply leaving it at home.

Sounds like a blast!! You've already indicated you'll take some pictures... good. It would be fun to see those.

I have a pair of La Scalas installed in the high school gym where I
work. They have no problem filling the gym during sports events &
rallys, with 1500 students trying to scream over the top of them.

For graduation, we take a pair up to the football stadium, & they always fill the stadium.

Lascalas are Public Address speakers designed by Mr. Klipsch when one of his pals, a Rockefeller, was running for office and needed something for halls and to use off of the back of a truck.

I'm thinking they will work just fine.

They will do just fine and you will not need mega watt amps to make them sing. Last year my nephew married his wonderfully girl friend! He ask if I would supply the speakers and power for the reception in a pretty large room at a swanky golf country club. I actually was a bit worried but couldn't turn him down. He paid a professional DJ to bring his front end setup. This DJ was floored at the sound of the system and how a pair of 60 watt tube amps could perform in such a large room with my Frankenscala's. To be honest I was shocked too!! Needless to say the reception went off wonderfully and folks danced the night away! Unfortunately I spent most of the night explaining what all the weird glowing glass things were...

Craig, although I have my Belles in a mid sized room and they sound pretty good, some years ago I heard a pair of older La Scalas in a really big room. I too, was floored. I could not believe a pair of speakers could sound that amazing. It was this experience that led me to buying firstly KG5.5s before moving into the Heritage line. One day I will put my Belles in a room they deserve.