Saw ad for two Klipschorns, One was Electro-Voice Patrician

Oregon Tubes

Recently saw an ad on Craigslist for pair of Klipschorns, Klipsch was spelled wrong so didn't come up on Klipsch search.

Ad read "Pair of large Klipsh corner horn speakers. Totally horn loaded,very
efficient,low power requirements. Spectacular bass & midrange. Must
hear to appreciate. MAKE OFFER".

I called the 83 year old fellow and was told that they were not a matched pair, one was a Klipschorn and the other was a Klipsch licensed kit he built back in the 60's. He did not elaberate any further, other than they were both in very nice condition.

We set up a time to get together. He took me to his music room to show me what he had, I immediately recognized the Klipschorn, but I about fell over when I saw that the other Klipschorn was about 5 feet tall and very ornate. He said it was an Electro-Voice Patrician IV. He played some of his music through them.....wow, I had listened to my Klipsch Lascala's for years and really thought I had the best sounding speakers out there, I didn't think anything could really sound like you were right there with the artist, I was so wrong, it would bring tears to your eyes.

As I sat and listened to the music, I decided this was the best sound reproduction I had ever heard, incredible clarity. The two speakers looked right out of the box mint. The gentleman brought out a ton of schemetics and literature on both speakers, there were receipts for both speakers, Purchased the Patrician kit in 1962 and the Klipschorn in 1977.

He had every imaginable brochure on both, must have been 5 spec sheets on each speaker in the Electro-Voice Patrician IV, all in all, I believe there were about 50 different brochures, speaker schemetics, cabinet specs and the like, all in mint condition, several catalogs from both companies.

He said he would have to get quite a bit for his two speakers, I was afraid to hear the price. He said he and his wife had given a good deal of thought as to their value, weren't sure there really was a market for such big speakers anymore, the Patrician coming in at a whopping 5 feet tall. He told me they decided they would have to get $700 dollars for the pair. I paid the price, collected up the literature and told them I would be back the next day with a moving company, the Electro-Voice Patrician IV weighs about 400lbs alone.

I have been reading the information on the Patrician, it seems like a great speaker, Electro-Voice is a well made speaker, and as I understand, was used in Klipsch speakers. I looked at the chrome T-35 tweeter, it looks so sweet compared to the one in my Lascala's, which is black.

Anybody that can share any information on this Electro-Voice Patrician IV, it would be greatly appreciated. It sounds awesome, even though it doesn't match the Klipschorn (Birch and Oak).The photos below aren't very good , I used my cell phone to take them. The Klipschorn looks terrible, where it really is in mint condition and the finish is perfect, the photo makes it look like it has black mold all over?

th_kdk_0392.jpg?t=1293060417th_kdk_0393.jpg?t=1293060417th_kdk_0405.jpg?t=1293060417

That is a killer score. If I had a single patrician I would setup a period mono system. This is a trremendous score. They won't make a good stereo pair but who cares you scored a freaking patrician!!!!!!

Check out links here http://www.hifilit.com/hifilit/Electro-Voice/Electro-Voice.htm

Post pics as soon as you get them.....

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I don't know the Patrician IV at all and was thinking maybe I could trade it for another matching Klipschorn. I guess maybe I need to do some research before I make any rash decisions. I have it hooked up now and it sounds incredible, absolutely incredible.

How about posting some pics :)

I don't know the Patrician IV at all and was thinking maybe I could trade it for another matching Klipschorn. I guess maybe I need to do some research before I make any rash decisions. I have it hooked up now and it sounds incredible, absolutely incredible.

Please do NOT even think about getting rid of the Patrician. Try to find another one! Then you'll be in for a sonic treat that you can't even imagine. I'm jealous!!!!!

I have wanted a set of Klipschorns but really couldn't afford them @ 2000-3000 a set.

I thought I got a good deal in buying the Klipschorn for $700, I figured maybe someone might buy the Electro-Voice speaker for a couple hundred dollars and I could put that towards finding another single Klipschorn speaker for $700, and end up with a pair for less than they are going for.

I had no idea what an Electro-Voice Patrician IV was worth, seriously, I knew Electro-Voice made good drivers, figured it would be worth something.

It is a beautiful speaker. His wife took off the front and covered it in a tan wool, then stiched a scene of birds and trees with yarn over the whole front. You have to imagine what I thought that huge decorated speaker was worth. The front cover comes off and the wool is just draped over a beautiful original front, but I didn't know that when I bought it.

Now that I have hooked it up in my home and had a chance to listen to it, I am keeping it forever. I had no idea.