KLF10's and a sub vs KLF30's

gmorglj

Hello all been lurking for quite sometime but now its time to dive in. I have a set of KLF 30's but wonder if there is anyone out there using the KLF10's with a sub. What do you think about going from the 30's to the 10's? I'm using a Denon 2310 have RF3's for rears and a C7 center. And I may yet add a sub to the 30's. Can any one tell me what sub would fit right in there with either 10's or 30's?

...And I may yet add a sub to the 30's. Can any one tell me what sub would fit right in there with either 10's or 30's?

I'll let others direct you to which sub to get, but adding a sub that can keep up with the KLF-30s would be the way to go!

{Edit: I just saw that you are running 4 towers and a large center channel with a lower end avr....I have to think adding a sub and directing the lower end from all of those speakers to it will take quite a bit of strain off of your avr and may open up your other speakers.}

Thank all for the replys, I kinda knew the answer but guess I needed to hear it. Lets hear it for some sub sugestions and where to lean for a better avr. I'm thinking the efficency of the Klipsch means it shouldn't have to work so hard.

thx

Gary

Looking at the gear in your sig, I'd put your money toward a sub. The AVR2310 is very nice (I have one myself), and I don't see the point in upgrading it before you get a sub. I actually think the KLF 10 might have more bass than the 30 (10 year old memory here), but it's about quality, so a sub is a must for LFE during movies. You can do well in the $3-4 hundo range for used. I love my SVS, but it's not for everybody as it isn't very sexy looking.

I actually think the KLF 10 might have more bass than the 30 (10 year old memory here),..

Fwiw,I find it hard to believe that the KLF-10 provided "more bass" than the KLF-30s if they were level-matched. {Edit or unless the latter was being pushed to it's limits by a lower-end AVR}

EDIT: I see that the RF-10 goes sligtly, lower but the KLF-30 is going to have more punch above those crossover points, at louder volume, given the difference in LF drivers.

I had sampled the 10, 20, and the 30's at a local dealer before the series was put to rest. The 10 has deeper and a punchier qualtiy to its base than the other two. The sonic signiture of the 20 & 30 with the mid is quite different and I would expect most people to prefer it. I owned both the 10s(still due) and the 20s. I preferred the mids of the 20's at low to medium levels but at higher levels the mids were harsh. Although the mids were not as forward on the 10s they are easy to listen to at any voume level. I currently am running Chorus IIs and the mids are not harsh at any level so I get to enjoy the mids. The bass takes some volume before it gets going. Based on history here and if you are happy with the 30s mids, add the sub cut the low end on the 30's.

I had sampled the 10, 20, and the 30's at a local dealer before the series was put to rest. The 10 has deeper and a punchier qualtiy to its base than the other two...

I own the KLF-20s/C-7 and assumed they were similar to how the Reference series stacked up against each other but given what you and t-man are reminiscing, I feel you have a better assessment to the OPs predicament...Fwiw, the lower end models in the Reference series don't have that lower end advantage in the smaller towers compared to the larger ones (i.e., RF-7)

I belive that the mids are identical with the exception of the freq the woofer crosses over to the mid. You can check the specs on the discontinued products list. I would believe the different crossover point would not make a hugh impact on the sound of the mid but was probably crossed over due to the woofers specifications. Although I was not crazy about the 20s mid, this forum is filled with many who love them!

I belive that the mids are identical with the exception of the freq the woofer crosses over to the mid. You can check the specs on the discontinued products list. I would believe the different crossover point would not make a hugh impact on the sound of the mid but was probably crossed over due to the woofers specifications. Although I was not crazy about the 20s mid, this forum is filled with many who love them!

Are you saying that the KLF-20s and 30s midrange should be the same but for some reason you didn't like the former? {Edit: I see the diference in crossovers in what goes to the LF drivers}

Gary I have had the 30's for several years now and run them with an SVS 20-39PC+ sub. Love the sound of them together especially for HT. Only thing is these are all sizeable pieces so you need a good size room!

Interesting that you think you may need to upgrade your AVR. I thought the same thing for years then finally decided to bite the bullet and go with separates. I never looked back and have been very pleased with the results! In other threads on this forum, members state that you won't be sorry combining the KLF-30s with a powerful amp. Believe me, that is 100% correct. Do the speakers NEED an amp as powerful as mine? Certainly not, but they do sound great when driven by a powerful amp. Clean and without distortion at any volume level I have experienced (I DO like to turn it down before my ears bleed though).

Good luck with your decision.

Compared to todays equipment SIZE is with out doubt a huge issue "pardon the pun". My HT currently consumes the entire living room and I have to sneak around my couch. Fortunately I have no females to report to at this time so I can get away with it. Should this not be the case there's no way I;'d get away with it. I've heard many sound systems both 120v and 12v after 20+ years in car audio but I can't speak highly enough of my current set up.

Upon intial set up, a buddy let me borrow a Bluray Batman movie which I popped into the PS3 after following my vacuum cleaner around the living room. Started watching the movie (first Bluray ever) and when the first round of action/bottom end kicked in I almost got fired off the couch, went to retrieve another beverage from fridge and noticed some white particles on the freshly vacuumed floor. It was the stuco from the ceiling. I cracked the ceiling through the cement/plaster crown moulding and it snaked for another 7'.

Can't complain about these speaker !

!

• Like 1