Reel to reel tape decks

CIGARBUM

I really have not decided to go this direction, but, taking into consideration that I know nothing about these critters. If you guy had to put a list to gether of say the top 3 or 4, 2 channel decks. Top price for a good functioning rebuilt unit, quality unit, say $500 to $750. Am I in the ballpark or all wet.

I have probably asked the question before but forgot, old age is hell.

Thanks

Cigarbum

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an Akai GX 747 and loved it. I'm sure there are better units....and worse.

I'd get a 10" capable machine so you are not limited by the size of the reels alone. If you're going to do any recording, you might educate yourself on the pros/cons of a dbx 224 noise reduction unit.

One of the cons is, if someone hands you a dbx encoded tape and you do not have a decoder.... you can listen to the tape however, it will sound very tinny and thin. You really won't enjoy it.

I answered before remeber now??? . . . . . . ... .. .. . .... ..... . . . . . . . . .......just kidding you[:D]

Open reel = nestalgia ONLY>>>>>>>>>unless you a large collecton of open reel tape already to play >>>> otherways new solid state digital flash drive or even Dat (2-decaid old technological BOTH better sound then CD

Dbx = [bs]

CB, put the money toward the McIntosh 225 that you want to buy. R2R is older technology and not like going back to tubes from SS. There are inherent problems such as hiss and maintenance. I converted all of my R2R tapes to digital years ago using a DBX unit to eliminate the hiss. Nostalgia is the only reason for going that direction.

Frank

I am certainly no expert, but I have always owned a reel to reel. I currently have two a Tandberg 64 ( I think thats the model) and newer Sony 10 inch model. Yes its older technology but the reproduction is magnificant. I prefer it to cds for sure and by a large margin. That beind said, unless you have a lot of recorded tapes it is kind of a hassle. New tape is getting harder to find, although I do remember seeing that some company has started making it again. There is a reason why a number of artists still choose to record on reel to reel.

Of the recorders there are plenty to choose from Teac and Tascam, Sony Akai, Panasonic, Sansui, fostex, etc. I would do some research as to the ones that parts are still available for. There are a number of places that specialize in restoring them. Lucky for me, up until a while ago there were a couple of guys who did it locally because these things are like tanks and weigh a ton so shipping is an issue. You might want to give this guy a call and see what he would recommend.

http://fieldengineer.homestead.com/

Ye, but they just look real cool.

CB

Yes they do, and the do still have their uses. I have a Pioneer RT-707 that I use to record myself when I practice (I am a professional trombonist). The reel to reel allows me to easily play back stuff at half speed when I really want to hear what is going on. If I want better quality I use my DAT (still old school) but the RTR sounds pretty good and as you said, it looks very cool! BTW, I paid less than $200 for mine and it is in good working condition. There are better units out there but RTRs are more for fun than fidelity at this point.

Ye, but they just look real cool.

CB

That's the nostalgia part I mentioned. Takes us back to our youth when we all wanted R2R machines. I had several machines over the years and they were fun to use. The Pioneer 707 is one I had and parts are still available for it. Also had a Roberts that did a nice job. Our studio had a Tascam and used a DBX unit with it to eliminate hiss. Still have a DAT and prefer it for sound quality over the R2R.

Frank

Hi Cigarbum:

Let me say ... hopefully without starting a flame war... if you like the sound of properly set up LP in you system, you will like the sound of R2R. It's more than just cool looks of big reels turning...

Try this link:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?220-Reel-To-Reel-vs-Hrx-files-vs-Vinyl

With few more than what you had budgeted, you can buy an Otari MX5050BII 2 recorder (hopefully from one of your local home recording studios than from a radio stations), and search for pre-recorded 2 track tapes on eBay.

Ki

I do not want to start a war either, but they just look real cool, the more lights, dials, knobs and meters the better. Being in no great hurry, I would much rather purchase one from my brethern, at least you can trust them ( I hope). Would like one that is in pretty good shape and operating as it should.

Sop if anyone decides they want to get away from that old nasty analog stuff and you got a good tape deck, let me know.

Thanks

CigarBum

Hi CigarBum:

There are many horror stories on different tape forums of people buying a tape machine off of eBay for very low price and end up spending real money to get it to work properly. If you can find one on your local Craigslist that you can go and test, it would be the best. When you get ready, send me an email, I will give you few pointers on what to look for in a good tape machine and what to avoid.

Ki

CB, I had my Teac X2000R for a LONG time and regret selling it. BTW, I have two 7" machines that I obtained a month or so ago. I know diddly about them except that are vacuum tube machines, are wooden case enclosed and look as if they just came out of the box with manuals. Although they would be costly to ship (heavy buggers with the tubes inside), since I have no tapes left to try them out (condition unknown) and I owe you so if you want to chance shipping cost I can send it your way. That's free to the Cigarbum only, as I owe him.

CB, put the money toward the McIntosh 225 that you want to buy. R2R is older technology and not like going back to tubes from SS. There are inherent problems such as hiss and maintenance. I converted all of my R2R tapes to digital years ago using a DBX unit to eliminate the hiss. Nostalgia is the only reason for going that direction.

Frank

Well Frank I would love to have you over to my place so you could listen to my two decks, and try to hear the hiss that pretty much doesn't exist.

Jay