1986 Klipschorn AK-2

chamolie

Hello all!

let me give you some history of my 1986 klipschorns:

My very first bank loan in 1987 was for this pair of klipschorns ($3500.00 CAD) so they have been in my possession since my youth and for the past 23 years.

During my youth I have played both parties and socials with my klipschorns resulting in a blown set of tweeters which I replaced in 1996.

In 1998 I brought my speakers into a local audiophile shop for an upgrade:

a) all internal wiring was replaced with Tara Labs 7 core RSC (Rectangular Solid Core) twisted internal speaker wire. The wires in the LFP woofer box where doubled up (2 wires replacing each individual wire in LF)

B) capacitors replaced with Solen fast caps

c) fuses where bypassed as they convinced me (at the time) that the sound would be improved

My questions are:

1) how do I reconnect the fuses? (as my son is now 10 years old and soon, I'm sure, he will show his friends just how loud his fathers stereo is)

2) should I replace the Solen caps if I perform the AK-2 to AK-3 upgrade?

3) which brand name parts would you purchase in Canada to perform the AK-2 to AK-3 upgrade?

Thanks...

to convert an ak2 to ak3, replace the 140uf woofer capacitor with a 100uf capacitor. replace the 4mh mid driver inductor with a 5mh mid driver inductor.

btw, this will do nothing to protect your tweeters. the tweeter circut in the ak2 and ak3 is the same.

• 11 years later...
4 hours ago, FLmike said:

Anyone know where I can purchase a complete high quality Klipsch Klipschorn AK-2 to AK-3 conversion kit?

I don't know of a conversion KIT, but you might be able to buy most of the necessary parts from Critesspeakers.com or an outlet named JEM, although I just recently learned that both those suppliers do a substitution of the woofer capacitors in a way that I have questions about. So, if you are capable of DIY, you can study the schematics, do a Google search about the conversion, and buy the pieces you need from someplace like Parts Express.com, for example.

There is also a highly reputable crossover network builder here on the forum, but I never know if he is retired or is taking orders, so I will let him speak for himself. 🙂

9 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

I don't know of a conversion KIT, but you might be able to buy most of the necessary parts from ... an outlet named JEM, although I just recently learned that both those suppliers do a substitution of the woofer capacitors in a way that I have questions about.

1 hour ago, 001 said:

,( approved and tested by klipsch engineering )...the klipsch Authorized Dealer jem

I am curious about the woofer capacitor(s) substitution on the AK-2 kit from JEM, recently pictured on the forum. I would appreciate if you could explain the reason for the change from the original Paul Klipsch approved design. 

• Like 1

I think it would be more accurate to say that the capacitors from JEM most closely approximate those used in the original circuit. They certainly aren’t “the highest quality capacitor”. They aren’t even the highest quality polyester.

We just had an AK-2 to AK-3 conversion thread. We are still waiting on that person to report results. 

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

There is also a highly reputable crossover network builder here on the forum, but I never know if he is retired or is taking orders, so I will let him speak for himself. 🙂

Ha ha. Yes, I still build, but I limit what I do because I don’t want to live in my workroom.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 11:44 AM, Budman said:

LOL, the highest quality capacitors are not made by klipsch so another fib from the fibber

On 7/3/2022 at 4:44 PM, Budman said:

had to get a fresh pair of depends on this post

Hit the ignore button

Please avoid offensive language on the klipsch Forum     https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/guidelines/

On 7/3/2022 at 11:38 AM, Khornukopia said:

I am curious about the woofer capacitor(s) substitution on the AK-2 kit from JEM, recently pictured on the forum. I would appreciate if you could explain the reason for the change from the original Paul Klipsch approved design. 

JEM does not decide the content of the kits , the klipsch Engineering  Dept does  , Adding   regular capacitors to the kit may be an option , but you would need to ask JEM  (412) 401-6915     theaudioroom@verizon.net 

On 7/3/2022 at 11:38 AM, Khornukopia said:

I am going to guess that the answer is going to be that since Klipsch approved it, it's a "Klipsch approved design." 🙂

It's in the shunt position of the low pass, so not considered "critical". The real downside is that it's a part that should be replaced in 10 years.

On 7/3/2022 at 10:24 AM, RandyH said:

@FLmike  The highest quality Capacitors are Made by klipsch  ,( approved and tested by klipsch engineering )

the klipsch Authorized Dealer https://jemperformanceaudio.com/       (412) 401-6915     theaudioroom@verizon.net 

It's like the advertisements on your TV or phone that you don't pay attention to because they keep popping up. People find them annoying. There is psychology behind this that you might want to read about. I don't think you're helping JEM or Klipsch. 

JEM is pinned to the top of the page.

• Like 2

• Klipsch Employees
On 7/3/2022 at 10:59 AM, Crankysoldermeister said:

I think it would be more accurate to say that the capacitors from JEM most closely approximate those used in the the original circuit. They certainly aren’t “the highest quality capacitor”. They aren’t even the highest quality polyester.

We just had an AK-2 to AK-3 conversion thread. We are still waiting on that person to report results. 

In order not to change the voltage transfer curve. How many times must this be repeated?  It’s not just about the perceived quality of the cap.  

• Klipsch Employees
2 minutes ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

It's like the advertisements on your TV or phone that you don't pay attention to because they keep popping up. People find them annoying. There is psychology behind this that you might want to read about. I don't think you're helping JEM or Klipsch. 

JEM is pinned to the top of the page.

Ok then let me say……and see if you can shut me down…..JEM is the ONLY crossover part approved source. They sell what we approve of. Got it 58 cent?

• Klipsch Employees
On 7/2/2022 at 8:52 PM, FLmike said:

Anyone know where I can purchase a complete high quality Klipsch Klipschorn AK-2 to AK-3 conversion kit?

Please let me know.

JEM. He knows the product and the crossovers and should be able to help. And the kits should be real close to original voltage transfer curves. 

• Klipsch Employees
On 7/3/2022 at 10:38 AM, Khornukopia said:

JEM discussed it with me. So approved. 

• Like 1