1986 Klipschorn AK-2

chamolie

34 minutes ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

It's like the advertisements on your TV or phone that you don't pay attention to because they keep popping up. People find them annoying. There is psychology behind this that you might want to read about. I don't think you're helping JEM or Klipsch. 

JEM is pinned to the top of the page.

I have no reason to apologize for giving JEM 's reference ,  they are klipsch Authorized , and this is the klipsch living room  .

• Klipsch Employees
On 7/3/2022 at 10:59 AM, Crankysoldermeister said:

I think it would be more accurate to say that the capacitors from JEM most closely approximate those used in the the original circuit. They certainly aren’t “the highest quality capacitor”. They aren’t even the highest quality polyester.

We just had an AK-2 to AK-3 conversion thread. We are still waiting on that person to report results. 

Define “reputable”?

27 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

In order not to change the voltage transfer curve. How many times must this be repeated?  It’s not just about the perceived quality of the cap.  

I'm not the one making the wild claims. Randy can call it "the right part", not "the highest quality capacitor". Please read what I said, which was ...

"JEM most closely approximates those used in the original circuit." 

What's the problem?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

Ok then let me say……and see if you can shut me down…..JEM is the ONLY crossover part approved source. They sell what we approve of. Got it 58 cent?

My answer to his question about the electrolytic was ...

'"I am going to guess that the answer is going to be that since Klipsch approved it, it's a "Klipsch approved design."'

Again, what's the problem?

• Like 2

• Klipsch Employees
1 minute ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

'"I am going to guess that the answer is going to be that since Klipsch approved it, it's a "Klipsch approved design."'

Again, what the problem?

You know what the problem is…..

57 minutes ago, RandyH said:

I have no reason to apologize for giving JEM 's reference ,  they are klipsch Authorized , and this is the klipsch living room  .

I didn't ask you to apologize, I asked you to consider the possibility that you might be doing more harm than good.

• Klipsch Employees
42 minutes ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

One problem is that this was always the mods section and you don't like mods, well, except for the ones from the tweeter guy.

Even when I try to play by the rules I get crap. 

You make a lot of assumptions. You want to help then stick to that. You peanut gallery commentary doesn’t help. And guess what?  I’m sick of dealing with crap as well. 

• Klipsch Employees
1 hour ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

Again, what's the problem?

Misread that. Sorry. 

• Klipsch Employees

I'm not the one making the wild claims. Randy can call it "the right part", not "the highest quality capacitor". Please read what I said, which was ...

"JEM most closely approximates those used in the original circuit." 

What's the problem?

Wild claims?  I seen you make some of those. Don’t worry about it. Does highest quality equate with significant increase in cost?  Not going to argue with you about that. 

• Klipsch Employees

One problem is that this was always the mods section and you don't like mods, well, except for the ones from the tweeter guy.

Even when I try to play by the rules I get crap. 

You know what deano….ok. Just keep it civil and no personal stuff. Please accept my apologies, my friend. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think an AK-2 to AK-3 conversion kit would be a great idea.  All that is needed is a woofer shunt capacitor, a -4db autoformer, and a squawker shunt inductor.

As I understand it, JEM only sells the 100uf capacitor???   What autoformer/shunt inductor combo would one need to make a Klipsch approved upgrade kit?

T4A's are hard to come by, and the inductance of the 3636, taps 0-3, is 2.5 times the inductance of the T4A, taps 0-3.

Mike

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

You know what deano….ok. Just keep it civil and no personal stuff. Please accept my apologies, my friend. 

I'm sorry too. I get it. I don't like it when people mod my networks either, lol.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

In order not to change the voltage transfer curve. How many times must this be repeated?  It’s not just about the perceived quality of the cap.  

ok, this is a legitimate question not a "peanut gallery" comment... i have asked before but never really get a reply or explanation.  if the voltage curve is so important & its implied that changing caps will mess this up,  can you or someone explain how a given cap will change the curve or if that will have any noticeable affect on the sound?  its kind of a blanket statement to keep saying it will change the curve but no data or test results to show how much it will be changed.   im sure other people & companies that offer this type of service know about voltage curves & other aspects of crossover work to know if changing a cap would affect the sound or operation of the speaker so drastically. 

& more to that point, how do you know how much, if any, a certain type or brand of cap will change the voltage curve?  have numerous caps been compared to the "klipsch authorized" caps?  i realize a different type of cap such as a polypropylene will have different characteristics than the ones klipsch uses, but no comparisons have ever been provided.  so lets use similar caps as an example, will a polyester/mylar cap that is the same type as the original stock or jem caps change the voltage curve too? & if so, is it enough of a change to ever actually hear a difference? 

there are many of these types of caps out there, some state they use higher quality materials or higher quality manufacturing etc than others.  yet we have no details on these aspects from jem or klipsch, i recall reading the KSC or maybe T.I. marked caps klipsch used in the older generation 1.0 & 2.0 models like quartet, forte, chorus, KG, KLF etc were made in mexico with no claims of quality.  yet some brands stress their caps are made in germany & with high quality materials like dupont film etc.  so how is the average person supposed to know if one brand of similar caps are better than another in regards to voltage curves or quality? 

again, this is a legit question since the average guy has no way to determine these things & the statements given of "because i said so" are rather vague with no further info ever provided.  if its top secret or proprietary i understand, but to just keep saying any cap besides original klipsch or jem caps will change the voltage curve leaves a lot to be desired & doesnt help the average guy considering replacing aged caps or wanting to maybe try to improve/upgrade caps. 

it would be very helpful if you or someone with knowledge on this can shed some light on this subject as im sure there are others that want to know or learn...  clarifying the matter with some test results or data would probably help klipsch/jem & support that their caps are "superior" to other brands.    

• Thanks 2