1986 Klipschorn AK-2

chamolie

21 hours ago, 001 said:

1> pick a common budget PP cap like sonicap or dayton etc- how much of a voltage curve change will happen vs klipsch/jem caps?  & at what point will that actually affect the sound or function of the speakers for the average person?  i get that the voltage curve is important, but if you cant hear it & it wont damage the speakers why all the fuss?  just trying to understand. 

2> now pick a common polyester cap similar to klipsch or jem, if its the same type of cap, how much if any will that change the voltage curve/sound/function?  

3> can we get any mention or description of jem quality vs other decent brand similar PE caps?  im trying to understand why caps that cost .50-$1ea everywhere else cost 10x that to buy from jem?   

Is this kinda what you are asking?  Here's a REW voltage test using three different 2uf capacitors in series with an 8 ohm resistor.  The plots are the voltages across the resistor.

As you can see in the first plot, they pretty much lay on top of each other.  The second one is zoomed in, and they are within .15 db of each other.

Red is a Sonicap 2.01uf
Orange is a 2.04uf oil can pulled from an old Heresy.
Green is a new GE polyester 2.01uf

I'm still trying to figure out why my crude setup always shows a voltage drop around 19khz.

Mike

2uf capacitors 20 - 20000.jpg

2uf capacitors 6000 - 20000.jpg

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

I read your post, but you were addressing @Chief bonehead

https://wiraelectrical.com/crossover-network/

Like so many things, there is the surface understanding of a thing, and then the much deeper understanding. Since I'm not an engineer, it shouldn't be hard to figure out which side of this I'm on. A true understanding uses a language called "math". I have no idea what it is.

It makes sense that if you use different parts, then you are changing the original transfer function(s). The questions are, 1) how much, and 2) is it always bad.

I'm in discussion with Roy right now and I think he's trying to figure out if he should fire me or not.

yes, i did quote him since hes the one that mentions the voltage curve, but no further explanation is ever provided about why or how it will change the sound or function of the speaker compared to PP or similar PE caps.  but, i did also ask for others that have knowledge on this to reply if they could or wanted to...    "it would be very helpful if you or someone with knowledge on this can shed some light on this subject as im sure there are others that want to know or learn... "

thanks for the reply, i understand there is a deeper understanding & more to it, im looking for the surface understanding with basic answers to the 2 questions you mentioned, as well as the 3rd one i asked comparing quality/price of the same type of caps to klipsch/jem.  

On 7/9/2022 at 8:02 AM, mboxler said:

Is this kinda what you are asking?  Here's a REW voltage test using three different 2uf capacitors in series with an 8 ohm resistor.  The plots are the voltages across the resistor.

As you can see in the first plot, they pretty much lay on top of each other.  The second one is zoomed in, and they are within .15 db of each other.

Red is a Sonicap 2.01uf
Orange is a 2.04uf oil can pulled from an old Heresy.
Green is a new GE polyester 2.01uf

I'm still trying to figure out why my crude setup always shows a voltage drop around 19khz.

Mike

2uf capacitors 20 - 20000.jpg

2uf capacitors 6000 - 20000.jpg

yes that chart shows some info of whats happening, but more important is how that info or any other data equates to sound or function of the speaker. 

hypothetically, lets say a sonicap changes the voltage curve from the originals by X amount... what does that mean as far as frequencies or other aspects of what we will actually hear?  because for myself & the majority of listeners that dont have sophisticated equipment to do tests that will show the slight differences, what they hear is all that really matters, unless this change will damage the speaker or something? 

-- so after over a month still no answer to what should be pretty simple capacitor questions.. just the typical ambiguous comments followed by... 

crickets.jpeg