HK 430 vs Marantz 2238

smokarz

The Marantz will probably sound different, but whether it is an improvement or detriment is unknown (you would have to experience it in your system and be the judge). It is a bit more powerful than the H/K, but the difference won't be of any value unless you're pushing the H/K to the point where it's clipping. If the price is right, I'd grab it. It was a nice unit in its day and can still deliver much enjoyment if it is working properly.

I won't burdon (listening to Eric currently!) you with a "you be the judge" statement anymore than I would want to ask a question and get that as an answer myself... The Harman Kardon 430 is an amazing piece of 70's gear. For me, it goes perfectly with my Fortes. It works and sounds so effortless and really plays to the strengths of the individual components (speakers, sources). I can sum it up in one word...clean. I have Marantz 2215B, it works and sounds great, and does wonders with a super-sensitive speaker like the Forte.Good luck in making your decision. Either the 430 or the 2238 should work fine.