Receiver-Speaker wattage help!

joeyip87

Hi all!,

I own a Yamaha HTR 6240 receiver and am now looking to get a new home theater speaker system. I am very interested in the Klipsch Theater 1000 (HDT 1000), but I am slightly concerned with the wattage compatibility (since this is all a little confusing). I've read everywhere and to my understanding underpowering my speakers would damage them. In that case, is it correct to say that the HDT 1000 speakers demand too much power for my receiver to handle? According to the spec sheets:

Receiver: RMS output at 105W x 5 and Total power at 525W (http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/htr/htr-6240_black__u/?mode=model)
Speakers: Digital Hybrid; 200 watts RMS (420 watts peak) (http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/hd-theater-1000-specifications/)

Does that mean receiver = 105W per channel and speakers = 200W per channel? In conclusion, do I need to get a more powerful receiver that can output >=200W per channel, or go with speakers <= 105W per channel? I have a feeling I am very wrong with this. Please correct me! :) Basically, will the HTR 6240 receiver work with the HDT 1000, if not, why?

Thanks in advance!
Cheers,
Joe

Hi Joey and welcome to the forums!

To answer your questions. Your Yamaha receiver will be able to power the HD1000 system with out any problems, the system uses five similar satellite speakers ( which probably have a max input power of 50-75 watts) The subwoofer has a built in amp that is rated for 200 watts RMS (420 peak).

When you hook up the system make sure to set the satellite speakers to small since I don't think they will go below 90hz, and turn your sub cut off frequency accordingly.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

That is great news! Thank you liebherr954! I guess the sub's 200W 420 peak figures threw me off. It also mentions that the system's total power is at 700W, but I assume that includes the sub's power draw from the wall, rather than the receiver?

I'm excited to get the unit in about a week now!