Q-man's University Classic

Q-man was kind enough to send to me assy pictures of his recent University Classic construction project! As you can see the horn looks quite cool. The driver shown is the vintage C15W, a green die-cast frame 15" woofer with 6 lb Alnico magnet, designed specifically for this enclosure. The mid-range horn

is the University Cobra-flex with associated University compression drivers. This horn is still sold today by EV as the Cobra-flex II, albeit a PA horn.

Horn throat-

MyPictures0006.jpg

Horn throat with first "bend"-

MyPictures0008.jpg

C15W mounted in compression chamber-

MyPictures0013.jpg

Top view looking down on folding geometery-

MyPictures0019.jpg

Completed horn with woofer access panel removed-

MyPictures0020.jpg

Completed horn-

MyPictures0021.jpg

Thanks again Q!

Q-man,

Looks kickass! I want one! LOL. Very nice quality, that's for sure. Was it hard to find those drivers? They look mighty old.

Someday I'd like to either stumble upon a set of Jensen Imperials or learn how to put 'em together.

Jon

------------------

markvi82@hotmail.com

1981 Cornwall I's

Yamaha DSP-A1000 integrated amp

Acoustic Research AR3A's for Pro-Logic rears

(Music only setup)

Marantz CD Player

Pioneer turntable with Audio Technica cartridge

A tribute to the cabinet maker's art... Q-man, why would anyone doubt that you are indeed HornEd's hero?

But if they do, they need only see a photo of your "Horn Trophy Room." With your emailed permission I will put it on the Forum for all to see... and email you a copy for your use.

You are an inspiration to us all. -HornEd

I hope I have time to explain this. If I don't finish, I'll add more later.

First let me say a few things. I use Klipschorns and LaScalas in my home theater system. Well, a pair of Jenson Imperials too. I love the klipschorns, but like most of you I'm always tweaking.

On a vintage website they were compsring the Klipschorn, Jenson Imperial, and the Electro Voice Patrician. Their comment was that the Jenson Imperial is the speaker design that got it right. After that I just had to build a pair and hear it for myself.

After that project I wanted to design my own bass horn. John supplied me with a booklet on folded bass horn cabinet design. My goal was to shoot for a horn with a cut-off frequency of 25HZ. I like the Klipschorn and Imperial sound and find no reason to try to improve on the bass horn reproducing characteristics of these speakers. I just wanted to make a horn that would go lower. After drawing up four or five designs using the math equations and formulas that John provided me with, I decided to put this project on the back burner. The reason is that the mouth of such a horn turns out to be big enought for me to walk into. Know I know why even the largest bass horns don't go below 35Hz. I also gained more respect for Pauls corner loaded bass horn design.

Then John told be about this University classic horn, and how he feels that it is one of the best folded bass horns that he has ever heard. I hate statements like that, because I always have to find out for myself. I decided to build myself a pair and see what he was talking about.

That's why these photos show a crude looking speaker. I didn't want to make it pretty if there was a chance that I didn't like it and that I would just be throwing it out. Well, I like it so someday I'll have to fill all those screw and stapple holes and veneer it. But, first I have to decide if I'm going to use the stock mid. horn and tweeter or try something elce with it.

I'm sorry for the boring bit of history behind this project. I'll now get to what I think you may want to hear. The first thing I did was to drag a LaScala out of the closet and place it about five feet in front of my existing front stage and in the center of the room next the the University. Another words 5'in front of the TV. The LaScala has an AL-3 network in it, and I disconected the midrange and the tweeter. I put a K-33E woofer in the University with a AL-2 network. I did this because I wanted to hear the difference in the cabinet designs, not the drivers.

What a difference there was and I don't mean subtle. My two sons were in the room , they always like to compare the sounds of my speakers. I also appreciate their honest opinion and young ears. The LaScala sounded muffled, as if I had blankets stuffed in the mouth of the horn. The volume was equil, but the LaScala horn lacked the crisp defined detail and clarity of the University. At this time I could also tell that the University cabinet could reproduce sounds higher and lower in frequency the the LaScala. This higher region surprised me the most , because the University crosses over at 300HZ. to the the midrange driver. I'm don't know why University decided on 300Hz., because this cabinet is much stronger in the 400 Hz. area the the LaScala cabinet.

This would be a great cabinet for any of you with LaScalas. Simply build it and load it with all your LaScala drivers and network. You would be very happy with it. Oh yea, the low end. It begins to roll off at about 45Hz. but I find it gives good output at 40Hz. Right now I put this speaker to use as my center rear channel. When I sent the low frequency test tone to it, it did well down to 40Hz. I now have my bass management system set to send everything below 40Hz. from this channel to the subwoofer.

I'm not done yet. I have more to say about how it compared with the Klipschorn. Sorry that I couldn't finish now.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

This message has been edited by Q-Man on 04-10-2002 at 05:24 PM

• Like 1

Since this University folded horn blew away the LaScala it was time to try it with the Klipschorn. Before doing this i decided to take out the K-33E and load it with the stock Univercity drivers and network. N-3 network, C15W woofer, T-30 mid. driver with the corbaflex horn, and the 206 tweeter. The mid horn and tweeter are designed to fit into the mouth of the bass horn, not the way you see them sitting on top of the cabinet in the last two pictures.

I put the University in front of my left channel K-Horn and of course disconected that K-Horn.

The first thing that I noticed was that the University is a little more efficent then the Klipschorns. I had to turn down the volume on the left channel to balance them. They sound very simular.The University may be a little more open sounding. John says this is because it has a more gradual folding geometry, which reduces reflections assosiated with the severe folding associated with the Klipschorn. If I had to pick only one speaker to use in my system, it would be a very hard decission to make and require more listening then I did. Maybe it would boil down to the room. If I had good corners, then I would choose the K-Horn . If I didn't have corners then the University would be the one.

My next step may be to take down my center channel LaScala and replace it with the University. It would be a very close match with the K-Horns.That will mean rebuilding the wall unit for about the ninety ninth time.

I also tried the Altec 288-16K driver and the 805B horn with the University cabinet. That make for a very sweet combination.

John,

Thanks for convincing me to build this cabinet.

Horn ED,

I forgot that I sent you a picture of the new false corners and the other minor changes. If that's what your talking about, go ahead and post it. I would like the others to see it. If not we'll ask John to do it. He has a pisture or two on the CD that I mailed him.

I think I may have not answered all the guestions. I'll go back and look, and add more later.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

COMING SOON TO YOUR KLIPSCH FORUM

Q-MAN'S HT EXTRAVAGANZA!!!s>

IN AN AWESOME NEW PHOTO OF HERITAGE POWER!

As soon as HornED can make it back from a fun trip to party with some "NoCal" horn loving Forum friends, his hero, the Q-Man has authorized the scanning and publication of the photo.

Look for it before the weekend is out... it's his best photo yet! -HornED

Jon,

It took me about six months of bidding on ebay to get all the drivers and networks. I actually may have more then what I need to build another stock pair. With some of the auctions I had to take more then what I wanted.

Try this and see if it gets you to this Vintage horn website. http://community.webtv.net/kerrb

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

This message has been edited by Q-Man on 04-11-2002 at 07:08 PM

quote:

Originally posted by Q-Man:

Jon,

It took me about six months of bidding on ebay to get all the drivers and networks. I actually may have more then what I need to build another stock pair. With some of the auctions I had to take more then what I wanted.

Try this and see if it gets you to this Vintage horn website.

Q.

actually, that link did not work for me, the real address is http://community.webtv.net/kerrb or click this for a direct connection Smile.gifhttp://community-2.webtv.net/KerrB/VINTAGETUBEAMPHORN/index.html

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want promediatech@Klipsch.com email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

This message has been edited by justin_tx_16 on 04-11-2002 at 06:38 PM

how did i do that? you gotta have promedia's on your computer, makes things much faster Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

oh and by the way, i visited all 8 pages including the links. all i can say is WOW. is that all yours? i envy you, htough i know a few times you said it was sold or whatnot, but still, geeze, what a lucky (or skillfull Smile.gif) guy you are. i envy your collection! (is it yours?) if it is not yours, still, your horn looks VERY nice. i wonder if i could not venture into building my own... would be great fun! maybe could incorporate my dad's wood working skills into it.

can not wait to see the finished product!

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Wow! I could use a bib after visiting all those pages. Some wonderful vintage equipment and alternative horn speakers. Heard the latest Edgarhorns and subwoofer at the Ohio Mid-West Audio Fest. They were impressive with life like realism. The quality of horns displayed were mind blowing. Also got to meet TBrennan and some of the Chicago Horn Group. Tom thanks for the tour of the place. Got to get back there next year.

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

Justin,

I'm not sure what you mean by " are they yours?"

Yes, if you mean the University horn cabinet pictured here.

No, if you mean the stuff you saw on the vintage web site.

That site , as you saw, sells the Jensen speaker plan book. I bought that book, and that's how I built my Jensen Imperials.

My collection of horn speakers, as you call it, is.

2 pairs of Klipschorns

3 Pairs of LaScalas

1 pair Jensen Imperials

1 pair of the unfinished University Classic

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

This message has been edited by Q-Man on 04-11-2002 at 08:56 PM