Bought a Belle

Rivernuggets

Very excited for this opportunity to try a big Heritage. Purchased through CL. Would be great to find this one a brother.

Lots of questions. Got it home to find the tweeter and squawker weren't working. Did the AA battery trick to see if they speak at all. The squawker made some scratch, but nothing from the tweeter. I hooked it up again just for kicks, and the squawker decided to work. Weird. I'll disconnect and connect all the wires to the balancing network and see if the tweeter wakes up. If it doesn't, should I try a replacement K-77?

I've read about the different networks to be had in these and La Scalas, and get them confused often. How does the AB-2 rank for some of you guys?

Serial 354299060. There is '01' stamped in the wood underneath the K-55-M, but wouldn't it be older than 2001?

post-34666-13819634108864_thumb.jpg

I've read about the different networks to be had in these and La Scalas, and get them confused often. How does the AB-2 rank for some of you guys?

Congrats ! You now have the best center speaker that Klipsch ever offered the public ; IMHO .

The AB networks are junk , so sez BEC . I use my old AB's as bookends , kinda neat looking .

Should be able to replace the lady parts in the drivers and be fine .

Hi

that Belle looks just like the three that I got before I modified and restored them. Mine had the AB crossover also. They are a good speaker and when you buy them used they are an outstanding speaker for the price. I'd plug it in and play it awhile if you get it working to see how you like it. They usually travel in pairs what happened to it's partner? You could use it as a center between those Chorus II's or Forte II's did I see in the back round. I know that the timbre doesn't match but I used a forte II between my first two bells and it wasn't that bad. If it isn't music and just movies and such you don't notice it that much. Watching football I couldn't tell much difference. The first update that I did to my Belles was to put in Al's Universal crossovers. That really woke up the detail and the souond stage. Obviously you wouldn't be able to tell that with just one speaker. I suggest that you don't bother updating it until you get a partner. If you don't find a partner or decide that you don't like it singles can usually sold pretty easily. Heck I drove all the way to Cincinati for my single. You could also find two more and they make a very nice front wall for a HT set up which is what I'm doing. Hey by the way do you still have those RB81s I attached a picture of one of mine after I re-veneered it . It was a Walnut just like yours before I started.

post-17322-1381963411292_thumb.jpg

They usually travel in pairs what happened to it's partner?

Not sure. Seller only had the one Belle. According to him it was doing center channel duty between two La Scalas. Odd thing to say when the tweeter isn't working.

I suggest that you don't bother updating it until you get a partner.

Good idea, Thanks. It will be a hard wait until another is found. You've got a crazy Heritage HT setup! Very nice.

That's a great question. I saw the opportunity and jumped. I'll get the tweeter working one way or another and wait until I can find another Belle or pair of big Heritage. Then the networks will be matched between the three. In the meantime it will reside between my Forte IIs. Going to research 'ghosting center channel' and play around with that.

• 1 month later...

Just an update. Replaced the K-77 tweeter diaphragm with one from Klipsch, and purchased a gently used pair of A networks made by DeanG. It's back to life and sounds awesome! Well, you know, in mono. [:D]

Question: Is there a way to protect the network from getting all nasty with dust? Maybe install grille cloth on the back of the Belle top section? I want to keep this new newtwork from looking like the one on the left.

post-34666-1381963556089_thumb.jpg

Question: Is there a way to protect the network from getting all nasty with dust? Maybe install grille cloth on the back of the Belle top section? I want to keep this new newtwork from looking like the one on the left.

Just pass the duster in there when you're dusting the outside of the speaker. That old network looks like it's got at least 18 years worth of dust. I don't think you'll be neglecting it like the previous owner seems to have done.

Oh yeah, called Klipsch and they said it was made Dec. 29th of 1992. Very cool.

Thats Odd ! I would have called it as Dec. 20th of 1992 (serial # 354299060)

Quote: DATES DESCRIPTION EXAMPLE

1990-1997 DOYY2Y1#### 135791234

1. DOY = day of the year (e.g. 135 = 14 May)

2. Y2Y1 = 2nd digit of year, 1st digit of year (e.g. 79 =1997)

3. This coding was is used on Chorus, Forte & Academy