Dean G mod on RF-7 II

kriller7000dk

Trey Cannon (Klipsch) came on and said the RF-7IIs have a new crossover that addresses the issue that dean's crossovers seemed to help on the older version, from what I understand. {EDIT: Btw, do you own the RF-7II and notice a problem? Hmm}

Yup, i own a pair. But they are brand new and haven't played for very long time. So i don't think it's necessery to do the mod. Was just curious to know.

Btw - how many hours should they play before they are in top condition and not expect more of them?

I wouldn't think your RFIIs would need an upgrade, but then again, I didn't think (and am still not sure that) mine did either. Cool

Insofar as break-in time, I have been convinced that they don't need a break-in period and it's your ears that either will/will not adjust. Btw, congratulations on your speakers.

Not sure i agree on that;-). After played some hours they plays better and better:-D.

Is there something i should be aware of when bi-amping? Because on klipsch.com in the spec it's written that they could be bi-amped,bi-wired but the owners manual has nothing about bi-amping. What should i relate to?

Thanks hope they will be THE speakers for many years.

I wouldn't think your RFIIs would need an upgrade, but then again, I didn't think (and am still not sure that) mine did either. Cool

Insofar as break-in time, I have been convinced that they don't need a break-in period and it's your ears that either will/will not adjust. Btw, congratulations on your speakers.

Not sure i agree on that;-). After played some hours they plays better and better:-D.

Is there something i should be aware of when bi-amping? Because on klipsch.com in the spec it's written that they could be bi-amped,bi-wired but the owners manual has nothing about bi-amping. What should i relate to?

About a week. But there is a funny thing I truly believe its the ears. I owned the RF-83 and I brough them to college, left them during winter break came back damn these sound different. a week later I am back to these are sounding good again. it was more apparent when I went home for the summer because I had to box them up and did not have room at home. When i unboed them in the fall boom again not sounding like I remembered and a week later all was well.

You really cannot bi amp these speakers. The crossovers are beyond the jumpers. If you do not take the crossover out and try to "bi amp" you are just doing fools bi amping and possibly damaging the amps and crossover. You are basically throwing double the power to a single source. The 4 posts were meant to bi wire which some people believe gives a better signal (though physics would say otherwise) They believe that giving a speaker 4 wires gives the electrons better connection or flow to the speaker. I did not realize though that electrons had feelings?

Insofar as break-in time, I have been convinced that they don't need a break-in period and it's your ears that either will/will not adjust.

Two related questions:

1) Has any lab or manufacturer set up two large sets of speakers, all the same model and production run, and run one set through a lengthy break-in (burn-in) snd left the other set totally unplayed (except for initial testing), then played them for critical listeners without revealing which went through the break in and which did not? Could the listeners hear the differencein a way that exceeded chance?

I, too, have thought I heard differences after considerable running time, but I don't know if the difference was a real difference in performance of the components, or psychological adaptation.

2) I have the same question about warm up periods each time one plays music. Does the reproduction sound better after warm up, or are we just used to its characteristics after listening a while? My guess is that it might make a difference with tubes, or anything else that changes temperature greatly between the time it is turned on and when it is warmed up (thus the term), but I wonder about solid state components, speakers, and the like. I have difficulty with the contention that interconnects and speaker cables sound different after warm up.

• Klipsch Employees

Ok, there is such thing as break in , but we do it in 20 min with 75% `input voltage at 20Hz. The complance of the woofers is where you would see the change. However, with that said, after 8 hr at 32V they had about 1 - 1.5db more output gain...not a lot of change.

jay said : "You really cannot bi amp these speakers. The crossovers are beyond the jumpers. If you do not take the crossover out and try to "bi amp" you are just doing fools bi amping and possibly damaging the amps and crossover.

You are worng. you can Bi-amp these speakers. It's called "passive bi-amp" where you use 2 amp channels for one speaker. And NO it will not hurt the speaker or amp Channel. True, there is not much advantage to it. I have seen tubes on the HF and SS on the LF. I have seen 3:1 power ratio so you can have more LF at low volume, but a bass knob can do the same thing.

If you connect the HF section of the speaker to an amp, the amp will see the 8 Ohms + network load. If the LF section is connected the amp will see a min of 4 Ohms + network....but both will work just fine....

And NO there is no need for the "Dean G Mod". That was "fixed" with the new HF, LF drivers and network.

Thanks Trey and Jacksonbart.

Trey,

[Edit] Oh, on re-reading, I see you used 20 Hz, so only the woofers would get the signal ....

• Has Klipsch tried breaking in midrange drivers & tweeters?
  • Even though there were no woofers involved, did the AK-4 upgrade kits get some kind of break-in?
  • Does Klipsch still match pairs of speakers? Were the AK-4s matched? My two sound fairly different in the highs, but so did my original Khorn tweeters (c1982).
Thanks.

"And NO there is no need for the "Dean G Mod". That was "fixed" with the new HF, LF drivers and network".

Also, it's not possible to apply the mod to the new network, the two networks are completely different. However, if I owned a pair I would still replace the Mylars on the HF board with some nice polypropylenes.

I've said many times that the the original RF-7 sounds really good right out of the box. That it sounds better after the application of the mod and replacement of the caps and resistors doesn't change that. The RF-7 responds well to the changes because it's a great speaker to begin with -- you can't dress a turd.

I would love to hear the new iteration, I bet it kicks.