Can't make up my mind which Klipsh to keep!

Sonance84

It has come to the point where I have to get rid of a pair of Klipsch, which really sucks. I use them in my 2-channel system which can be seen in my signature.

I Have owned a pair of Forte I's for almost 2 years now and I replaced the crossovers and tweeter diaphragms to Bob Crites stuff. These have been my main speakers driven by a Scott 299-D for the past year and I LOVE them.

Then, just recently, I came across a pair of Cornwall I's in original condition locally. I ordered the Crites CT-125 for them which haven't arrived yet. I did hook the Cornwalls up to the Scott 299-D, which is where they sit now...and they sound pretty good. Obviously, I haven't spent a lot of time with them, but I don't think they sound as good as my Forte's in the same position. I will swap the tweeters in as soon as I get them...but the Corn's really need the caps replaced. I only grabbed the CT-125's because they were on sale and now I don't have enough to replace the caps, which should have been first...I know. :)

So, at this point, I'd like to compare Cornwall !'s with the Crites upgrades to the Forte I's with Crites upgrades, but can't. I'm stuck deciding between them in their current state which seems a little unfair to the Cornwall's. In the end, I would like to keep the better pair of the two. I wish I could keep both pairs!

Has anyone compared these two types of Klipsch with the above described upgrades? What were your thoughts on the subject? Did you prefer one to the other and why?

Thanks for any help!

Cory

This isn't going to help much:

I have Cornwall I's with new Crites crossovers and CT-125"s.

I have Forte II's, not I's with new crossovers and Titanium Diaphragms.

I have them in two different rooms hooked up to different equipment.

I have moved said equipment up and downstairs and hooked everything up to the others amp's and other equipment and................................................................................................................................................................could swear on one day I prefer one and another the other. Sad, I know.

Thats why I have both.

If you love something set them free. Put both outside by the curb after an hour see which ones remain, keep those.

Actually that would make an interesting poll.

You're driving down the street one day and sitting on the curb is a pair of Forte's and a pair of Cornwalls. You only have room in your car for one pair. It's too far to your house to snag a pair and get back for the other pair. Which ones to you grab?

Me... Cornwalls without a doubt.

Different situation:

I had My Heresies and a set of KG 5.2s.

The 5.2s POUNDED. Those speakers were beasts..... but lacked some clarity.

The Heresies were capable of the same volume WITH clarity, and coupled with a sub; can also pound.

I had to choose as I live in an apartment and there really is little room.

I chose the Heresies as the overall clarity, depth and soundstage was more important to me.

That being said; I wish I could have gotten the tweeter upgrades for the 5.2s before letting them go.... (Now looking back).

I would suggest getting caps (probably around $50 for a pretty good set) coupled with the tweeters before deciding.

The Fortes are an excellent speaker. After they are capped and tweeters done; I would try A-B testing (switching back and forth; as well as one speaker from each on each side).

Good Luck.... Interested to see what wins out.......

The Cornwall sound reminds me of an overgrown Heresy. I don't like the Heresy's...I have a pair on loan from my stepfather. I like my KG4's with Bob Crites upgrades better than the Heresy's Possibly the reason I like the KG4"s big brother better than the Heresy's big brother?

As this thread rolls onward, I have the Cornwalls up for sale in Garage Sale, on CL and over at AudioKarma. I just don't have the money to do the re-cap on the x-overs, otherwise I would do that and then A/B them. But I can't.

I have heard the Cornwalls upgraded and still prefer my Forte's. I'm pretty sure the Cornwalls are getting the boot! Yes, I said it. :)

If you love something set them free. Put both outside by the curb after an hour see which ones remain, keep those.

Actually that would make an interesting poll.

You're driving down the street one day and sitting on the curb is a pair of Forte's and a pair of Cornwalls. You only have room in your car for one pair. It's too far to your house to snag a pair and get back for the other pair. Which ones to you grab?

Me... Cornwalls without a doubt.

I'll grab both pairs with the Cornwalls secured on top of my SUV and the Fortes inside the car.

• Moderators

Easy, put both pair in the car, lock it and walk home and get help. [:P] ok i cheated

in the car, on the roof, drive slow.........................

funny stuff...I actually saw someone do this a couple weeks ago! I sold some Sansui SP2500's & SF2's to a guy with the original boxes and everything. He came to pick them up in a 1980's 5.0 Mustang convertible WITH the top down in 40 degree weather. LOL! So, I asked him if he had any room in the trunk....NOPE! He then proceeded to put 1 speaker in the front seat, 2 speakers in the back seat and kinda just laid the 4th speaker on the rag-top, wedged in between the other 2 speakers. Said he didn't have far to go, but it was still funny as hell. I wish I had the camera handy at the time.