Opinion on Chorus ll

gagelle

I'm also a fan of tha Harman Kardon gear -- I use an AVR-235 for preamp/processing and to run center and surrounds, and an HK PA-2100 runs the mains. Lots of folks love Denon, but I've always thought Denon sounded thin compared to what Harman brings, and the only Onkyo I've heard sounded brittle, so I've stuck with the HK. Fortes would be the ultimate surrounds, but if a screaming deal on two Academys comes up, ****** it . . . or a pair of Quartets, or a pair of Chorus Is and move the Fortes to the back. Lots of ways to skin the cat! Then the Epics can be the bedroom or office system -- that seems to be the way it goes around here. I still have my first Klipsch, a pair of 1982 (I think) Heresys I bought in 1991.

I'm not a real good advice giver, but I will offer one piece -- go slow! The enthusiasm here is contagious and you can spend a lot of money and collect a lot of gear in a hurry, and then end up having more hassles and less fun. Ask me how I know!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the advice to go slow. There are some great deals out there if one is willing to wait. I, also favor the Harman Kardon sound. I originally bought a HK receiver with the Epic speakers. They had a full rich sound. When I replaced the HK with a Denon, they sounded muddy and lost their deep bass.

You gave me some great ideas for completing the system. The problem is finding something within a reasonable driving distance because shipping costs can ruin a good deal.

I have both and I am just amazed with the Chorus IIs. I also like their slim design better. Cornwalls are just plain big, a little duncy looking, don't sound any better, and can't handle near the power the Chorus do. So if I had to let a set go today - bye bye CWs.

BTW - I have CW1s with Crites cast woofers and crossvers. My Chorus II are factory stock.

First I have to say I'm surprised how calm this thread was. I expected straight Jerry Springer stuff by page 3. Both are very loved speakers and people seem to get crazy trying to defend their babies against the other.

As far as surrounds for Fortes I guess I'd ask if you're looking to do 5 or 7 channel music or is it just for movies? If only movies then I wouldn't worry as much about having a second set of Fortes. In my 5.1 set up I've run Forte IIs in front with an Academy at center and these speakers for surrounds:

Academy
Forte IIs
KG 3.2s
KG 2.2s

All of them sounded good together for movies, but for 5 channel music the Forte IIs sounded the best. The Academies at center and surrounds with Forte IIs in front was more of an experiment for a day just because I had 3 Academies at the time. Too much money in two extra Academies to be wasted in the surround spots in my opinion. I just wanted to try it before I sold them both. Weird long story on how I ended up with too many Academies.

I'm using the KG 2.2s on Bello speaker stands as surrounds now and am very happy with them. I don't listen to music on 5 channel very much and the 2.2s blend in well with the room where as the Forte IIs really stood out due to their size. I think the KG line is voiced close enough timbre wise to use as surrounds, especially if HT is your focus over music.

Not to talk you into spending more money right after you found your speakers but I was really impressed with the difference putting Bob Crites titanium tweeters in to my Forte IIs. Having DeanG put new caps in my crossovers also helped but if your starting slow I'd do the tweeters first.

Anyone know if the Chorus ll sound as good as the Cornwalls? I'm looking for excellent bass response. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I guess as far as your original question I can only compare Forte IIs vs Cornwalls. It seems like starting out listening at low volume levels the Cornwalls sound fuller, where as the Forte IIs sound a little bland at lower levels. That was the reason I got my crossovers redone, hoping to help the out. It helped a little but the Cornwalls still sound better a lower listening levels. One thing I like about the Cornwalls over the Forte IIs that probably applies to the Chorus IIs is that my Forte IIs are lot more particular about placement than my Cornwalls are.

Since you've found the Fortes maybe you think there is no reason for me to answer the orignal question but I'll guess in time you'll be looking for another pair of Klipsch regardless of how good the Fortes sound. It is an addiction!!!

An addiction for sure. I bought an Academy for my mid-channel on Ebay. I'm still waiting for delivery. I'm very happy with the Forte 1 speakers. The only speakers that don't really fit in the system are the Epic CF3s that I'm using in the rear. They were my first Klipsch speakers and I don't want to give them up. I may move them to another room if I find a replacement at a reasonable price. But I'm taking another blogger's advice and going slow. It's easy to spend money very quickly. The Forte's opened up a world for me. I couldn't believe the richness of sound. I remember the seller's parting words: "These speakers really rock."--And indeed they do.

Wow, I was expecting some comments after the graphs were posted. Looking at these bring up a lot of questions IMO. 1. Looking at the Cornwall response it doesnt look to be as sensitive as either Chorus model. 2. The Chorus II seems to be heads and shoulders above the Cornwall II in the bass management

Had both side by side and I agree with all the others here. The Chorus II just walks away from a Cornwall. I don't like a speaker that loses control with a little horsepower and ole Duke Spinner said it best "the Cornwall becomes a rumble box". That is exactly what it did in my room. Crown K2 on the 15 inch woofer of a Chorus II is nothing less than a sledge hammer.

Wow, I was expecting some comments after the graphs were posted. Looking at these bring up a lot of questions IMO. 1. Looking at the Cornwall response it doesnt look to be as sensitive as either Chorus model. 2. The Chorus II seems to be heads and shoulders above the Cornwall II in the bass management

Had both side by side and I agree with all the others here. The Chorus II just walks away from a Cornwall. I don't like a speaker that loses control with a little horsepower and ole Duke Spinner said it best "the Cornwall becomes a rumble box". That is exactly what it did in my room. Crown K2 on the 15 inch woofer of a Chorus II is nothing less than a sledge hammer.

Hi Stormin. I was surprised to see you were selling your Chorus IIs in light of how much you have expressed loving them. What are you going to next?
I'll admit I don't need another set of speakers but you and other Chorus II owners feeling so strongly about them has me curious enough that if a pair comes up near by at a good price I'll probably buy them just to see what the fuss is about!

Hi Stormin. I was surprised to see you were selling your Chorus IIs in light of how much you have expressed loving them. What are you going to next?
I'll admit I don't need another set of speakers but you and other Chorus II owners feeling so strongly about them has me curious enough that if a pair comes up near by at a good price I'll probably buy them just to see what the fuss is about!

Hey I never said I was selling my only pair of Chorus II's. I still stand by my words "they will have to pry them from my cold dead hands".

Give them a try I think they are well worth it.

What happened to the "old" response graphs that Klipsch use to publish. It would be nice to see a graph for the C1 and the C2 just to compare.

Great job on the graph Claude. When Klipsch tests all of their speaker I wonder how they go about the placement in their chamber. Do they actually put a K horn in a sealed corner to check the response? As for all the models with passive radiators, wonder if they place them with proper back spacing form a solid surface or possibly a corner placement. What Im getting at is if they dont load the speakers in their proper location then maybe these response graphs are not telling the whole story. Granted I realize each application especially in each home setup will yield quite different numbers, but I am curious how they keep things constant trying or not trying to keep the reading constant between each model.

What happened to the "old" response graphs that Klipsch use to publish. It would be nice to see a graph for the C1 and the C2 just to compare.

Great job on the graph Claude. When Klipsch tests all of their speaker I wonder how they go about the placement in their chamber. Do they actually put a K horn in a sealed corner to check the response? As for all the models with passive radiators, wonder if they place them with proper back spacing form a solid surface or possibly a corner placement. What Im getting at is if they dont load the speakers in their proper location then maybe these response graphs are not telling the whole story. Granted I realize each application especially in each home setup will yield quite different numbers, but I am curious how they keep things constant trying or not trying to keep the reading constant between each model.

Good question, this is the only test room I have seen a picture of while testing a Jubilee. I also wonder if while testing a khorn do they use a false corner.

post-29696-1381963508342_thumb.jpg

I also wonder if while testing a khorn do they use a false corner.

The "false corner" in the Hope anechoic chamber is actually a revolving corner of the room to the left of the shot that you posted above.

Chris

post-28404-1381963508386_thumb.jpg

Good question, this is the only test room I have seen a picture of while testing a Jubilee. I also wonder if while testing a khorn do they use a false corner.

Cool thing about a Jubilee is on a ground plane test it looks like a LaScala bass, but in a Corner, it' looks like a Khorn. Outdoors is the only way to get accurate bass response, leaving the room out of it. Anechoic chambers aren't much good below a few hundred Hz.

...this is my experience between the two as well...

Bill

Yep. People see the sensitity measurement and think, "Oh, power doesn't matter with these speakers." Those people are wrong -- that 15" woofer is hungry and needs a proper diet to be strong.

Incidentally, La Scalas behave the same way.

I also wonder if while testing a khorn do they use a false corner.

The "false corner" in the Hope anechoic chamber is actually a revolving corner of the room to the left of the shot that you posted above.

Chris

Thats pretty cool, I hadnt seen that before.

You gotta get in on the Klipsch Pilgrimages...