Round Tractrix

Guest David H

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dennis; do you know if any of the pro horn makers provide the throat angle of their horns? It would seem logical to want to match driver exit angle with the horn throat angle to minimize reflections. This is not something I have seen but I may not be looking in the right places or asking with the right terminology. Thanks for any light you might shed on this. Nice looking horn by the way, I think that 18 Sound also have some ellipictal horns similar to this as well.regards Moray James.

Guys,

I did a search for the elliptic tractrix horn and found those. I never assumed that I had invented anything new!

I have expanded the "eliptrac" design program so that it will design in a round area at the throat such that a horn designed for a 2 inch driver could be extended to use a 1-inch without disturbing the tractrix expansion. Just adding a conical extension of arbitrary length to a 2-inch horn to jury rig a 1 inch driver is just not the thing to do! The program asks for the diameter you want to be round and it finds the right place to put it. In the example I used before, it's a snitch over 3 Inches back from the mouth. The round area is in yellow.

I also added the ability to specify the length of the round area at the throat directly. I'm not sure if that's good for anything but it seemed logical to do that too while I was at it.

Al K.

post-2934-13819634271272_thumb.gif

Just to verify the validly of this idea, I grafted the data generated by the 1-inch horn cut down to 2 inch eliptrac program run with the run of the 2-inch design data for the example. I did some grafting to put the segment height / width columns side-by-side. The results were almost too good to be true!

This looks like a way to make an expandable horn. The "extender" could be made with the large end emulating a driver to just bolt right between the 2-inch horn and a 1 inch driver. There has GOT to be something wrong with this, but I don't see what it could be as yet!

Al k.

cut1vs2.txt

Guest David H

Al, that is almost to good to be true. I guess Iwill have to make some for testing.

BTW, there will be a Eliptrac 400 on your door step in the very near future.

Dave

post-24405-13819634277162_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

Thanks Mark, this was a huge amount of work, but I am very pleased with the results thus far. I just wish I could feel my hands!

ALK was great to work with on this project. Needless to say I could not have done this without Al's Eliptrac program.

Dave

Dave,

Once you guys have finalized a design, and should you wish to commercialize it, would it not be easier for you to build multiple horns using a mold system? Based on review of the pictures you added above, seems like a lot of work goes into play to develop these horns - even with the assistance of a CNC machine.

Goodluck to you both.

Dk

God I wish I had a pair of junky Khorn bottoms just so I could test all of these top section alternatives coming out. Honestly, with the equipment I have I don't really need any of these smaller horns but It is so interesting to me that all these Khorn top section alternatives are available. I'd just like to hear some for myself. I did already hear a few actually, but these new elipse creations are just captivating to me. I can't help right now though.

Guest David H

Dave,

Once you guys have finalized a design, and should you wish to commercialize it, would it not be easier for you to build multiple horns using a mold system? Based on review of the pictures you added above, seems like a lot of work goes into play to develop these horns - even with the assistance of a CNC machine.

Goodluck to you both.

Dk

All build options are being considered.

Dave