Contemplating an Upgrade... Need to assess resale value of my current setup.

LyleS

Hi, I've been the Happy owner of a set of 1996 vintage Klipsch THX Home Cinema speakers.

I have the KT-SW sub, 3 KT-LCR's and two KT-DS surrounds.

I've come across an interesting setup for sale locally:

2 KP-301 and 2 KP-250 speakers with an Electrovoice TL3512 subwoofer.

I also am looking at a 1970's vintage set of cornwalls.

I have a large HT/Family room: 24' by 40 ' with 11 ft ceilings.

Currently I'm more than happy with the sound of my current setup, but I'm thinking that if I get the KP's and the Cornwalls I could do a really nice 6.1 setup. 2 Cornwalls as mains, one of the KP-301 as center (Chorus Pro), one of the KP-301 as rear center, and use the KP 250 (Heresy Pro) as side/back surrounds. These speakers were used for about 10 years at a local park to provide a 17 min. video intro for visitors, and thus have never been abused, trucked around to gigs, or driven that loudly. According to the guy at the park, they had a grant last year and just went ahead and replaced the sound system with a new one as part of a reno even tho there were no issues with the existing speakers.

So.. thoughts?? from the group??

Are the KP's and the Cornwalls an upgrade from what I currently run?

My listening is primarily movies, and concert dvd's, not much for 2 channel audio.

Electronics: Parasound Halo C2 pre/pro, Denon POA 2800 2 ch amp, and Acurus A125 x 5 channel amp. I'd probably use one of the channels from the Denon (200 w into 8 ohm) to power the sub for now pending getting a discrete sub amp.

To finance the deal I'm trying to figure out a fair price for my existing THX home theater setup. They are a pretty rare setup, not many have and use them, and thus they aren't as well known as the other heritage lines (la scala's, cornwalls, chorus, or heresy's).

Thoughts on used value? I think the set was pretty pricey new: ~3500.00 US because of the cost of the THX certification?

My other option is to sell only the KT-SW and KT-DS surrounds and forgo the cornwalls and keep the KT-LCR to do a single center between the KP 301's and to use 2 KTLCR for side surrounds with the KP 250's being paired as rear surrounds for 7.1.

So is the resale value significantly less for a partial THX set? sub and 2 surrounds ?

In order to get the KP units into the house, I plan to pull off the handles and re-veneer them with perhaps 1/4 or 3/8 plywood and finish them with a walnut stain to match the trim in the room. I think I can do the same for the big EV sub, but haven't yet seen it in person.

Does anyone have a comparable setup using heritage? Cornwall/chorus mains with heresy surrounds and a huge 18" sub for bass? How do you like it?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

I'm going to take a guess that you are single if you are considering this. No woman I know would tolerate that sort of change. I must admit, I wouldn't bother with what you are planning to do either. There is certainly nothing wrong with your setup and I would just keep it in place.

I'm going to take a guess that you are single if you are considering this. No woman I know would tolerate that sort of change. I must admit, I wouldn't bother with what you are planning to do either. There is certainly nothing wrong with your setup and I would just keep it in place.

So you think that going from bookshelves to industrial Heritage wouldn't be an upgrade? I'd jump all over it.

Well I do have a wife, but my current setup is black, and doesn't match the room trim which is a brown walnut.

The speaker stands for the current setup have been known to be bumped into by the dogs.

I received an email from the seller that says that the KP speakers are finished in a basic black right now, and they must have been the indoor variant as they have no carry handles or wheels on them.

So the wife factor is manageable, I'd be moving to reasonable sized floor standing speakers from the KT series, which are pretty big as bookshelves go: see this link for a picture and the sizes:

http://www.finest1.com/klipsch/thx.html

especially if I sweeten the deal by offering to re-finish the speakers in a Walnut stain to match the hardwood floor and trim in the room.

I just found this setup on craigslist, and for the $450 dollars he is asking, I REALLY REALLY recommend this setup to be auditioned by anyone in the area.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/ele/2109874630.html

Ironsave, you definately would enjoy the THX setup as surrounds with your heresys. Contact the poster, maybe in the christmas spirit he'll hold them with a reasonable deposit till payday at the end of the month. :D

Still haven't answered my question about value for my set.

Based on the ad in chicago it seems like the whole set is only worth about $600.00 (adding 150 for my KT-sw sub) ???

For that value, I think I'll pass them down to my son who's getting his own appartment after the new year.

There is no way to match that level of quality with anything else available for 600.00.