Superbit DVDs

toddvj

Anybody have any of these? I just picked up Fifth Element Superbit, I own the regular version, but haven't really compared side by side. Can you tell a difference? If so, is there any certain scene I should check out? There are a few other titles I already own, but don't want to invest if there isn't a noticable difference.

------------------

My Home Theater

Todd, I have four of the superbit dvd's: Dracula, Air Force One, Vertical Limit, and The Fifth Element. All of them sound awesome to me and the picture is better than any of the other dvd's i have as well. However I don't have both the regular version and superbit version of any of these titles. I would have to think that they are much better than the regular version of the same disc since they seem to be my best sounding dvd's, especially the dts versions. I think it is worth the extra money for these discs but I would get titles that I don't already have. All of the superbit titles are on their website:www.superbitdvd.com

------------------

the goods

Boa: Best Buy

I read an article comparing the Superbit vs. regular DVD's. The Fifth Element was most improved both audibly and visually. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon it said was not any better than the original. The others were somewhere in between. I think it also said most people couldn't tell the difference between the two, and they (writers) had to strain just to see much difference. Supposedly The Fifth Element was the only one worth the extra money. Don't know about the audio rates between the versions though, sorry.

------------------

My hodge-podge of equipment

Denon AVR-2800

KG-4 mains (too bad the rest of my speakers aren't this good)

Polk C-175 center (it's ok)

Infinity RS-10 Surrounds (suck)

Audiosource SW-15 subwoofer (excellent sub for it's price)

Pioneer DV333 DVD

Sony 5 disc CD player

All in a 12x12 apartment bedroom.

"What?! I can't hear you!"

thanks diggs. i was wondering about best buy. took them awhile to get anything in dts. got private ryan there & of course at that time they had dolby only version.

just curious if it's ups the sampling speed any for audio. my dvdp has a display showing both video & audio bit rate in mbps & kbps respectively. sounds like superbit definitely ups the video rate but wonder if it takes the dts audio rate up any higher from the normal i get of 75kbps (maybe up to my current 96kbps dac limit on my b&k).

i've yet to see/hear anything get above 75k. looks like superbit dts maintains that for audio but really ups the video rate.

that's why i got this queen: night at the opera dts 96/24 audio only disk on pre-order at www.dvdplanet.com

- anxious to see this regular dvd-video player get up to 96k & hear any dif.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

todd, thanks, yea seems like most show just video or maybe a total of audio & video. mine shows both seperately & yea the video on normal dts disks runs variably between around 4-10 mbps. audio for same is stuck right at 75kbps (as compared to dolby being stuck right around 45kbps).

i'll have to try & pick one up. now what to get Smile.gif....

------------------

My Home Systems Page