Old Tube Amps

CIGARBUM

I'm not sure this is the proper place to put this, but I guess it's OK.

In my wandering I ran across an old Stromberg Carlson intergrated amp, most said it was kind of a good amp, well off it want to Craig. Well Craig performed his magic and said it a really nice unit and produces really good sound.

Because I don't have a lot to do, and thinking this area (North GA Mountains) may have some potentical for some good finds. What I would like is to get some opinions of what you guys thing are some of the better finds and what tubes would be in these unit. I know there is Scott, Fisher, Harmon Kardon, are there any best kept secrets of old tube intergrated amps. I would like your opinions, amps should be fairly easy to find and should not cost a zillion dollars, running or not, Craig can do his really neet stuff.

So just wondering what to look for whan out and about.

Thanks

Cigarbum

The only best kept secret I know of is how good, Band tube gear sounds for home audio use. Built to last. Makes sense, if you want to re-create music, use the gear the music industry uses. Not talking about the amps built into speaker cabinets, but the seperate units that can be rack mounted. My favorite enconomy tube amp is the Marshall 9200 ($600 for 100W X 2), 9100 ($550 for 50W X 2), el 20/20 ($475 for 20W X 2). Awesome sounding and with their gold finsh faceplates look fantastic. Carvin TS100 ($400 for 50W X 2) is an excellent amp, and sounds fantastic with a set of match tubes. Peavey 120/120 ($550 for 120W X 2), 60/60 ($475 for 60W X 2), are awesome. All of the band type tube amps are internally cooled with forced air, so you can expect a long tube life. Right now, I thinnk Manley is king of the Band market tube gear.

You need to be careful if choosing "band type" tube gear for home audio use as many of the units out there are not designed for the kind of frequency response needed when listening at home. In addition, distortion levels which may be acceptable, or even desirable, for band use would be totally unacceptable for home listening. If you are looking for vintage gear, I'd stay with the "old reliables" like Fisher, Scott, Marantz, Macs, etc. Also, a great deal of wonderful tube gear was around in the 50s and 60s from Lafayette Radio, Musicraft, Allied, Heathkit, and even Radio Shack! So, if you see any of this kind of tube gear, and the price is right, grab it!

You need to be careful if choosing "band type" tube gear for home audio use as many of the units out there are not designed for the kind of frequency response needed when listening at home.

Thats true, the models I indicated have publish spec's that are as good or better has the home consumer grade euipment. The models I indicated as an example, use the same basic circuts designs that are found in home consumer grade gear.

Cigarbum,

Is there a lot of tube equipment in your neck of the woods, or are you thinking there might be? Around these parts, I'll consider snagging any tube equipment (depending on the price, of course). There aren't many secrets left, but what's worked for me is, any time you see old electronic test equipment, take a look inside. I've never found any useful (in hifi audo) power tubes, but I have found LOTS of small tubes (12ax7, 12at7, 6dj8, etc.). Same thing for old organs. Always check!