not too brag but how big is your digittal music files all added all up

SSnyder

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm away from home for the holidays but the count is @ 2,500, ripped in Apple Lossless format. Then again, unless it's a live recording, I only rip what I like off the disc. I actually don't consider that a large collection at all. There are a lotta' holes in my collection since for many years I stopped buying CDs altogether, pissed at the Recording Industry. Now I buy 95% used unless I can buy direct from the artist.

45.9 GB

9,524 files

Mostly mp3 using creativing labs sliding algorith at 60% and later at 100%. No idea how many of each.

Long term think they all should be stored in some sort of lossless format. Quite a few CDs to rip to mp3. Haven't even started on the LPs.

11,492 tracks, 299 GBs. Using FLAC via Exact Audio Copy, Media Monkey to catalog and play. Geeked

FLAC is lossless compression is it not? Can one easily convert FLAC to mp3? Our Creative Labs Zen xTra players I don't think support anything but mp3 playback. I do need to get started on a music server and any compressed format just sounds like a compromise for that.

I suppose if I was really into it I would digitize my LPs at better than CD sound quality but don't think I have an analog to digital converter (ADC?) that will do better than CD redbook 44.1 sampling rate.

At this point in time I htink our digital music files are primarily for portable use though we'll hook an mp3 player up for use out by our above ground pool, in the garage, or even in our home at times.

11,492 tracks, 299 GBs. Using FLAC via Exact Audio Copy, Media Monkey to catalog and play. Geeked

FLAC is lossless compression is it not? Can one easily convert FLAC to mp3? Our Creative Labs Zen xTra players I don't think support anything but mp3 playback. I do need to get started on a music server and any compressed format just sounds like a compromise for that.

I suppose if I was really into it I would digitize my LPs at better than CD sound quality but don't think I have an analog to digital converter (ADC?) that will do better than CD redbook 44.1 sampling rate.

At this point in time I htink our digital music files are primarily for portable use though we'll hook an mp3 player up for use out by our above ground pool, in the garage, or even in our home at times.

Yes FLAC is lossless. Media Monkey will convert FLAC to MP3 for ipods etc so don't be concerned about having to have multiple formats, just save anything you have as a FLAC file (which is best quality), and let the MM program do the rest. As far as records, I haven't done that and don't think I want to. Too large a time commitment for me.

As far as records, I haven't done that and don't think I want to. Too large a time commitment for me.

Me too. I bought an audio CD recorder for that purpose long before I knew much about mp3 or heard of the term music server for that purpose. It will even separate into tracks. Natually I recorded 1, maybe 2 LPs to try it before really learning how to use it.... and have since bought an ArtCessories USB 2 phono preamp (or something like that) with built in ADC and headphone amp so now can go direct to hard drive. Yep. Still haven't started.

Samule especally you maybe interested I bought a as-new Apple Ipod shuffel at a garage sale in summer in originall box for $10 dollars Lady said she used it onley the one time and bought a fulley feetured one>>>>>But thuth be told I ahve playeded it onley a hanfull of times = = = = not as fun TO ME! as records but admitedley amazed at the technological I put about 1 hr of songs on at one time andthey go random ordrede