Recently Purchased XW-300d, thoughts.

ehinton

I recently purchsed this subwoofer off Vanns.com, they have a great deal on it still. I ordered it, and the first one came defective (which left me to question, the quality of the subwoofer.. how much can it handle....was it a sub that just happened to come bad from the factory, or abused and returned). I RMA'ed it and got a new one and listened to it. I can finally say that my audio system is now complete.

Upon first testing, I must say that I was skeptical about the subs capability, and dissapointed. I could see things like the lights in the fixtures shaking in the living room, but couldn't hear what was causing this phenominon. Well the issue turned out to be placement. After playing around with where in the room it should sit, I found the sweet spot.

My system consists of: Center - RC 52, Mains - RF 52, and Surrounds - RB - 10, previously (Sub-10, which was okay, but I don't like port noise, which it could sometimes exhibit), now XW-300d.

I am still amazing at how this sub sounds, and its capability to produce clean, articulate, and very audible bass. The lower registers were play like never before reachable by the sub-10. I am still breaking it in, but I can tell its sounding better with every listen.

Every genre I listened to sounded better, every dvd I listen to sounded better, and the punch/ depth modes actually make a difference, and the sub is iR compatible with logitech remotes.

If anyone else has this sub or its bigger brother, please share your experience with it, and how hard of time did you have finding its sweet spot with room location.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am thinking of buying this sub too and my system is similar to yours - RF52 fronts, RC52 center and S1 surrounds, driven by a Mrantz NR1601 receiver. My main reasons for considering this sub are Small size & weight, Price and frequency range (going all the way down to 22 Hz).

I am a little worried about the fact that you had to return the sub once and get a new one. I plan to buy this and ship it to India - if the sub I get turns out to be bad, then I don't think I will have an opportunty to exchange. Do you have an idea if anybody esle had the same problem as yours?

I want to get the sub mainly because, I am missing bass while watching movies (which incidentally is my main use). Can you let me know if this sub add enough bass for the movies?

Anybody esle that has an opinion on this sub - please post them here.

Cheers

Depending on where you ordered it from they should have an establish RMA process for exchanging defective products. Yeah I was amazed at the size of the little subwoofer when I got it. I am not sure if anyone else had received a defective unit, but the rma process for me was fairly simple, and I had a new functional one in less than a month.

The sub is asthetically pleasing and matches well with the slender RF-52's. To me even without a sub the RF-52s kicked out plenty bass for movies, but the sub does add to the experience. Even though my taste for bass maybe be different to yours. I believe that this sub does an exceptional job of keeping up with the RF-52s. Only at extreme volumes will the RF-52 slowly saturate the sound of the sub, till it doesn't sound balanced anymore, but by those levels you are probably damaging your ears (I was only testing its output, and never play my music/movie at those levels).

The best parts to me about this sub, are the digital controls, don't think I could go to another sub that didn't have them. Its definition, and authority for such a small driver/enclosure. over all I am more than satisfied with the subwoofer.