Built a sub for my La Scalas

tromprof

Very nice project. Wishing I had an engineer friend with an incredible shop in his basement. Ick!

If you have a little experience this build is not super hard. The engineer friend is mostly to keep people like me from doing stupid things requiring the constant re-cutting of pieces, and the great shop keeps me from having to buy those wonderful clamps (which are worth more than I have in the sub) and a good table saw. If I was going to do this again on my own, a table saw would be a must buy, I don't think a circular saw would it do very well.

I had the engineer friend and his wife over for dinner tonight. Afterward played the Balrog scene from Lord of the Rings and the exploding moon from Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country. Needless to say we all had a good time and a good laugh. Although he is not an audio guy he planning on incorporating a sub into his next house (being an engineer he plans ahead, and I am sure it will it will be truly part of the house). As far as plans, those interested in the tuba subs need to go to: http://billfitzmaurice.net/.

The plans aren't just plans either, but pretty detailed instructions.

The website ( http://billfitzmaurice.net/ ) also has a forum that shows a number of builds. If you do this my advice is go slow and think ahead, it will save you time and wood. It is well worth the effort though, nobody sells a sub made as well as I made mine and you would need to spend $2000 to get this kind of performance and sound quality. It is a seamless transition from the bottom end of the La Scalas to the sub on music, and turned up a little,completely theater-like or better for movies.

Guest Anonymous

got my plans by email, seems like an reasonable build...I've got all the tools i need to get it done. last time i built a set of speakers was 20 years ago. should be fun...

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update after 2 months of life with the sub. My only complaint about the sub (unvoiced) was that it seemed like it was just a hair behind the La Scalas sometimes. This seems to have largely disappeared with the driver breaking in. I did run it 20 to 30 hours prior to installation using a 40 and 30 htz tone, but apparently more was needed. At this point it has exceeded my expectations and has my highest recommendation to anyone wanting a sub for their bigger Klipsch speakers. I am tempted to build one for my K-horns but they don't need it like the La Scalas did, and they are only used for music. The low output is fantastic, I can't imagine what the larger tuba sub must be like, over the top for sure! [:D]

The low output is fantastic, I can't imagine what the larger tuba sub must be like, over the top for sure! Big Smile

Congratulations. I've been thinking I need to add some bass to our Heresies and it might be fun to build a subwoofer anyway. So maybe a Tuba as they're affordable and one can buy the plans for like $14.95.

I like the idea of using 3/4" instead of 1/2". A bit of extra stiffness can't hurt I'd think? But what do I know.

Guest Anonymous

After cutting doing a dry run to see if all lines up. I am glad I did because it didn't line up and I had to redraw my lines.

I checked my tuba design, which i think is the exact same one as yours, did you have to redraw your lines because you used 3/4 inch wood? i think the design calls for 1/2 inch. i was thinking i would do 3/4's as well?

Also, when you are building the folded horn from the inside out, are there any screws at all? or is it just construction PL adehesive all the way?

After cutting doing a dry run to see if all lines up. I am glad I did because it didn't line up and I had to redraw my lines.

I checked my tuba design, which i think is the exact same one as yours, did you have to redraw your lines because you used 3/4 inch wood? i think the design calls for 1/2 inch. i was thinking i would do 3/4's as well?

Also, when you are building the folded horn from the inside out, are there any screws at all? or is it just construction PL adehesive all the way?

The interior wood is 1/2 inch as the plans call for, if you change to 3/4 for the inside you have a lot of recalculating to do otherwise the the dimensions are too small. I used 3/4 on the outside panels and had to change the dimensions accordingly so again the interior wouldn't be too small. I had to redraw my lines because I screwed that up the first time. By using 3/4 for the outside pieces the overall size is a little larger. I did use pocket screws in addition to PL, mainly to hold things in place, once PL sets the bond is stronger than the wood.

I thought about building the Table Tuba to run with my La Scalas, but Bill told me i had better build the THT. I built it, and i am glad i did. It doesn't have any trouble keeping up with the La Scalas.

The tuba table doesn't have any problem keeping up with my La Scalas, but this is for home use, not industrial. [;)]