True Grit

Schu

I found it very very good. I am sure most folks will find the movie different than they were expecting perhaps, but I loved it.

this
movie isn't about graphic violence, though it does have graphic
violence in it... this movie isn't about flashy action, though there are
action packed scenes... this movie is about dialog and acting which is
top notch... especially by the young actress Hailee Steinfeld.

Art direction and specially the make up and wardrobe are superb in this movie, but pale in comparison to the period dialog.

highly recommended for MATURE audiences!

Folks just do not "lacquer" there language like this anymore. this movie may even top Barton Fink for dialog....

• 2 months later...

I finally got around to seeing this movie. I kept thinking the "Dude" was channeling Carl from 'Sling Blade'. I was just waiting for him to ask the girl to fix him some bisquits with mustard. Seeing the original many years ago ruined it for me.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I finally had a chance to see it last night... I enjoyed seeing it and comparing it to what I remembered from the John Wayne version.

Now I waiting for the new flick, "Cowboys vs. Aliens (I think that is the title). What next?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From the buildup and comments, I was expecting finer dialog and more intropsective development of the characters and their relationships.

I still find the original a better movie. Just me, but the Duke, and others, still rules on this one. Didn't find an improvement other than some cimematography (did I spell that correctly?), but that is a function of technology.

I loved it! Had no idea what to expect but it was great! I'm a big supporter of movies that portray woman as actual characters and people, as opposed to just pretty faces being molested, attacked, or just standing around looking ornamental. The kid totally kicks butt. This movie is beautiful, melancholy--one of the only quasi-action/historical films I've ever seen that managed to be exciting and also pulled at the heart strings a bit. :)

• 1 month later...

From the buildup and comments, I was expecting finer dialog and more intropsective development of the characters and their relationships.

I still find the original a better movie. Just me, but the Duke, and others, still rules on this one. Didn't find an improvement other than some cimematography (did I spell that correctly?), but that is a function of technology.

Agree, Less dialogue in the new version. I prefer the orriginal.

Roger