Peavey FH-1 Cabinets

kg4guy

I picked up a pair this fall for some tunes out in my work shed. with them came a pair of MFX-1 horns with the dividing network. They didn't have the MB-1 mid frequency units and I am still looking for those. So far, all I have done is to open and clean them. I pulled the Black Widows out to inspect and clean the limited dirt and clean out the frayed plywood opening for the woofer but for the most part they were well built and cared for and not abused hard. They seem to be well constructed and I am hoping to change out the 15 inch drivers at some point to see how they sound, I need to locate some other K33, K43, K-whatever at a good price to do that so for now the Black Widows will stay. They are currently paired with my first pair of Klipsch speakers that I bought in 1989 - KG-4's to give some Klipsch sound.

post-42841-13819634520602_thumb.jpg

kg4guy,

I'd like to know how it worked out.

I almost bought a pair of FH1s years ago when I was looking at the JubScala setups so as to lower the K402 horn alittle, but went with my LaScalas instead as not any FH1s were found.

The FH1s are purported to be built stronger and have tighter bass. I do not believe it goes any lower in frequency response.

I did try the Electrovoice TL5050 bass cabinet of the Sentry IV model and even though it goes lower, I found the bass not as tight as from the the LaScala bass bin. So, eventually I went back to the LaScala.

What kind of price did you give for your FH1 speakers?

I am in the process of restoring them new bottom covers paint and handles and will use the pair of K-43's I have and post test results. I paid $125. for the cabinets and they are very well built but as you can see are in need of new paint and some fill .I put some screws in the braces to make sure they are solid and did some sanding today .

They seem to be nicely constucted, some finish details are lacking and there are some rough edges. That said is has a full size spliter with some extra glue squeeze out and corner reflectors. I was thinking that if you added a bit larger back chamber under it and ported it as DJK has suguested with the La Scala bin then it might improove it some more and the cost is pretty low to begin with. I paid $300 for the pair with the Black Widow woofer's crossovers and the high freq MFX-1 so fairly cheap to start with.

http://www.google.com/search?q=peavey+fh+site:craigslist.org&hl=en&lr=&prmd=ivns&source=lnt&tbs=qdr:y&sa=X&ei=ddcbTc38GML-8Abtt8HyDQ&ved=0CA8QpwU

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/msg/2064556070.html

FH-1.pdf

Will the La sala bass reflex mod work on these I'm planning to use K-43's in them and thought that I would build a pair and could use them on my La scalas also I'm not sure if the dog house is the same but another member had told me it was a little larger?I hit them with hammer tone paint and they look ok for what I'm going to use them for put new handles on and I ordered new ribbed stacking corner pieces and new latching TRS 1/4 phone jack plates also may add a 1/4 ply on the outsides in the future.

Hi Ara

I just did a bit of measuring and then drew out the top view of FH-1 bin and measured the chamber dimensions. What I got was a 19 7/8 inch base for the motorboard and an internal depth of 17 1/8 inch. The height is 22.5 inch so the calculate volume without the woofer is 3829 cubic inches or 2.21 cubic feet. This is the same that back volume that has been posted for the La Scala on the forum. So my guess from earlier today is wrong on the fh-1 being a bit larger. Hope this helps some.

January 28th 2011

I found some more info that John Albright posted a while ago in August 2007 that calculates the back volume at something a bit smaller than I did and may be a bit more accurate than my drawn out calculations.

The link is

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/93950/951727.aspx#951727

"I picked up another FH1 to build into a center channel to match the other 2 Peavey/Altec systems I built (FH1s and Altec 511Bs and 902-8Bs)

The OEM woofer in the FH1s absorbs a lot of power but is pretty nasty sounding with audible THD even at comfortable sound levels. I'd rather use K-33s in them all. I measured the back air chamber volume of the FH1s and got 3538 cu. in. (57.98 liters).

Using Andy Barr's sketches and verified measurements I got 3973 cu. in. (65.11 liters) for my La Scalas.

Do I have an error? Is the difference in volumes enough to be significant? If my numbers are accurate, the FH1s will have less lower bass than La Scalas would with K-33s.

There's little practical way to enlarge the FH1's back air chamber, so would stuffing it with polyfil be enough to make it behave as though it were as large as a la Scala's back air chamber?

I'm considering Bob Crite's cast frame woofer for it's lower Fs and 150 watt capacity. Will it be more suitable than late model K-33-Es?

My brother has my "Loudspeaker Design Cookbook", or I wouldn't ask.

John Albright"
The FH-1 drawing was added on March - 31 -2012

post-42841-13819635009594_thumb.jpg

I had some Baltic birch plywood left over from last summer when I built the La Scala clone bass bins so after seeing Ara’s topic I started to think about porting the FH-1’s. I have been thinking of it in the back of my mind but now I have the time and its winter and a good time to cut wood. Anyway I more or less duplicated the idea of DJK ported La Scala’s in port size and back chamber volume. I ended up with right around 4.93 Cu. Ft of back volume (2.25 cu. ft. from the original, plus a 10 inch tall 25 1/8 wide and 18 ½ deep box) minus the ports and some cleats it ended up at 4.8 cu. cu. ft. I used the bottom hatch for the bottom so I only needed 4 pieces for each bin back chamber expansion box. The 2 ports are on the front and are 7 inch long and 4 inch in diameter. I got the first on done about Noon so I hooked everything back up and played some songs on the radio.

My first impression is "where did the bass go?" I have the FH-1’s out in the work shed and not a very good place to test but I turned the bins towards each other and sat in the middle, about 4 feet from each bin. With the receiver in mono and the balance control in front of me I was toggling between the non ported and the ported. What it seems to sound like is that there is less bass but it sounds less distorted. When you turn up the volume the ported one seem to hit you harder with the thump. Anyway I am working on the second one and will have that done soon. I can’t wait to hear what Ara impressions are with the K43’s he is using, Mine are the stock Black Widow 15’s for now. This is another low budget, time filling project that costs little and takes up a week’s time to get through the coldest part of winter. If a pair of K33 or 43’s show up for not a lot of money I will probably invest a bit more money as I think these will be ok. Oh yea, the Marantz 940 receiver that I was going to toss out is the power for these so all bets are off on this being a fair observation. I need to leave the Marantz down by the high tide line one of these days but for now its all I have that is not in use to power other Klipsch speakers.

post-42841-13819635229234_thumb.jpg

I should be able to get them going this Thursday as I'm waiting for new 1/4 TRS jack plates to come and I ordered new corner protectors but the new handles are on and new paint I'm also going to have my friend bend me some 60 degree 1/32" pieces of 1 1/2 " x 22 1/4" aluminum for the top of the dog house. Thats Johnny my dog the reason I have this part fenced off.

I finished up the second add on chamber Tuesday evening and got it installed yesterday. I have to say that I am not the least bit disappointed with the results. I think with a bit more work and the replacement of the woofers with another suitable driver I will be thrilled. If I could have found some La Scala’s locally for the right money I would have gone with them first, Even in New England it seems that they command a premium that I just don’t have. For the $300 and another $35 for the add-on chambers they fill the need for the in work shed music that I was looking for. When I come across a pair of woofers then I think they will really give the slam that I was seeking. Thanks to all that have lead me to find these FH-1’s as an La Scala bass bin alternative.

post-42841-13819635328928_thumb.jpg

Looking good mang! [Y]I know IndyKlipschFan has a pair of those that we tried out with LSIsplit tops and the result was very good. I'd imagine that K43 would be just fine in those, they're not really picky as far as the sealed back box. Hvae a go at it. Your refurb looks very nice, its satisfying breathing life back into some old bins, isn't it?

Michael

Please do yourself a favor....

Go get yourself... the following items.

2 milk crates

4 blankets or foam or sound Isolators. (I used arulex...)

Now.....

Put
the FH-1 One speakers on the floor. Place a blanket on top of
them....... Add a standard Milk Crate .. Add a blanket on top of it..
THEN, put that split top on top of it.... Toe in exactly to your sweet
spot..... (You can use lasers if you really wanna get it right...)

Connect the wires back up...

NOW LISTEN>..Enjoy!!! ... PS you can run the specs too....

Hint Hint... you will be VERY VERY HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS>>>

PS. Get back to me and others in this forum your findings and resutls.

Before I did this in my HT,,,

http://community.klipsch.com/photos/the_klipsch_gallery/picture780502.aspx

• 7 years later...

Thanks to everyone for their input on these.

I have owned, and LOVED,  many Klipsch over the years... most recently ‘92 LaScalas, and LSI Splits.

I preferred the ‘92 LS over the LSI Splits. So far...

Most recently I ran the LSI tops with Crites A/4500 crossovers and CT-125 tweeters on both the stock LSI bins and FH-1 bins with K-33-E woofers. I wholeheartedly preferred the FH-1’s.

But THESE have really started the ball rolling again:

Klipsch K510 horn with Faital Pro HF200 driver.

Crites CS-500 crossover.

FH-1 bins with K-33-E woofers.

68F6A546-A9A2-4F63-A0F4-B52B30A1F053.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, geoff. said:

Thanks to everyone for their input on these.

I have owned, and LOVED,  many Klipsch over the years... most recently ‘92 LaScalas, and LSI Splits.

I preferred the ‘92 LS over the LSI Splits. So far...

Most recently I ran the LSI tops with Crites A/4500 crossovers and CT-125 tweeters on both the stock LSI bins and FH-1 bins with K-33-E woofers. I wholeheartedly preferred the FH-1’s.

But THESE have really started the ball rolling again:

Klipsch K510 horn with Faital Pro HF200 driver.

Crites CS-500 crossover.

FH-1 bins with K-33-E woofers.

Been touting the Merits of FH1 cabinets as Solid and Cheap LaScala bass bins for over a decade now. I still have 4 of them.

• Like 1

Claude, have you ever tried the Kappa 15C in your FH-1’s?

I have a feeling it may push them right over the top. 

As odd as this may sound, when I tried them in my ‘92 LS the combination of better midbass “seemed” to cover up or alleviate the hump. 

With 8 bolts that require a 3/8 wrench on the end of what amounts to lengthy threaded spiked bolts, I am not looking forward to the trial, but may have to. “Just so’s I know.” My scars have just healed from the Black Widow swap.

Peavey really took it one step further when they routed out the doghouse where the woofer edge might slap the cabinet!

Is it just me or are they quite comfortable crossing at 500hz? Maybe higher?

193BABE9-639A-4C7E-8A09-8EDCA173FAD1.jpeg

Kappa 15C hits rated xmax of 2.4mm around 25 watts  (do they publish the gap and coil heights?)  FH1 looks a bit

smoother in sim than Belle - it'll go somewhat higher than below as directivity is narrowing:

0qDwHT2.jpg

I think the back chamber is more like 60 liter but that sims about the same as 50 below.

JBL's M151, which went cheap at their tent sale years ago, is one of the best looking 15's

in sims for FLH.

xKnpZul.jpg

Here's FH-1 vs Belle, each with a JBL M151 - look at the calculated efficiency

2L8PiWG.jpg

On 6/30/2018 at 6:42 PM, geoff. said:

Claude, have you ever tried the Kappa 15C in your FH-1’s?

I have a feeling it may push them right over the top. 

No, but I had EVM 15 L's in there and K33's. The Peavey woofer (later model Black Widows) model pretty well in there, so I will leave them alone. I just got Some JBL Pro stuff on a 300 Hz. Bruce Edgar derived Tractrix horn with ALK networks. along with the excellent 2404 tweeter that I used to have on top of my Khorns for a time. I'll be using an OThorn below 90 Hz. so it should move some quality air, top to bottom!!